Gmail: Please log in via your web browser

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Moshe

Gmail: Please log in via your web browser

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff and lakrsrool,

In the last few days I get the following error in PP after turning the computer on (a clean reboot or resuming from Sleep Mode):
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.1.0.3001
Webmail: 4.0.23.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.1.0.0
SendMail: 4.1.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.1.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.1.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.1.0.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
ùâéàú ëðéñä ([ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 Failure)
IMAP.
"2-Step Verification" is off.

I haven't changed any settings recently.

Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Gmail: Please log in via your web browser

Post by Jeff »

hm, this was also mentioned here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 466#p31938

Had you previously allowed the "less secure apps" setting? In any event, if you read the link above, and my immediate reply, it should get you going again.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

"less secure apps" is on (allowed).

I've just tried switching the router off and then on; - the same error.
New settings in Gmail? Any other idea?

Best.

Hi lakrsrool,

You posted while I was typing.
Thanks.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi Moshe, yea I removed my post when I saw that Jeff had basically covered what I was posting a few minutes before. I had suggested that you try (turn on) the "less secure apps" setting here https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps.

I'm confused, you've mentioned that you will get this error after you boot or wake the computer?

So what happens, the error disappears after awhile or perhaps after the first "Mail check" and then reappears when you boot or wake again?

I'm at a loss as to how the error would coincide to booting if this error involves the subsequent "Mail check" and then I'm presuming doesn't occur again until you boot or wake again.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks again.

I wasn't clear enough.
When the error occurs, I log in to my account (in Firefox; log out and then in) and the next mail-check in PP is successful.

I was offline for a while.
I switched the computer off but the router remained on (I sometimes turn off with one switch all the devices connected to the socket).
After switching the computer on, I did *not* get the error.
Switching the router off and then on, the error *did* occur.

As I've mentioned before, the problem started a few days ago.
I was hoping it was a random issue and didn't pay much attention to it.
I'll try now to look for a possible pattern.

Regards.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It sounds like everytime your IP address changes, you have to login with your webbrowser, even when using IMAP with SSL/TLS ("less secure") enabled on the GMail account.

I have a couple of GMail accounts myself that use the "less secure" setting and I've never had this problem; but I leave my modem on 24/7. I'll try releasing the IP address and see what happens.

Ok, I confirmed I got a different IP address, had PP log back into the accounts and no problem.

hmmm... is this new in GMail's standard FAQ (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754)
"Make sure your mail app isn't set to check for new email too often. If your mail app checks for new messages more than once every 10 minutes, the app’s access to your account could be blocked."
I don't recall having seen that before. With that consideration, make sure that you have IDLE enabled (edit the account, it's near the bottom-right) as this would significantly reduce the number of logins required. Even if you have a 10-minute polling interval, there may be other reasons why PP would need to re-login, such as to retrieve or delete messages (that still shouldn't be a problem with *default* settings in PP).

Also, as is mentioned in the other thread I linked to, you may try enabling 2-step verification and see if that helps. Even if it does -- if you don't want to use 2-step -- try disabling 2-step again (re-verify that "less secure" is enabled) and see if it works better.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Good news!

I enabled "2-Step Verification", entered the password I received (waited 10 minuets for a text message until realizing I should enter my number with hyphens) to my account in PP, switched the router off and on - and had no problem.

I wouldn't have thought of it myself but, as you've suggested, I tried re-disabling "2-Step Verification" and - lo and behold - everything is fine.

My last long shot in this forum turned out to be wrong.
Yet, here is another one: I might have deleted Gmail's Super-Cookies (introduced in FF 41), and that was the cause.

Anyway, I do hope Big G doesn't get upset again soon. :)

To you and to lakrsrool,

Regards and have a great weekend.