POP Peeper + Windows 10 + NOD32

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
pvt.peter

POP Peeper + Windows 10 + NOD32

Post by pvt.peter »

Hi!

I use POP Peeper on Windows 10 to check my gmail.
I installed fall update and after that i can not able to login into my gmail account via POP Peeper.
The message is: Timeout.
I changed nothing on gmail account, so it is the same before of install the new Windows 10 update.
Firewall is let through this application.
Anyone has encountered this problem?
mjs

Re: POP Peeper + Windows 10 Fall update (1511) support

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum pvt.peter,

It would be helpful if you would please post in this topic the entire "Error Overview" data you are getting which incidentally also provides us with additional information (beyond just the error). To post the error: Click on the yellow icon with the exclamation mark ("!") in the lower-right corner of the Pop Peeper interface which will open the Pop Peeper "Error Overview" window. Then click on "Copy" in the "Error Overview" window and "paste" the error information into this forum. To paste the information (after doing the "Copy"), place the cursor where you want the error to post (left-click to place cursor) in your reply then right-click and select "Paste" from the context menu or alternatively press CTRL+V to paste the error information at the location of the cursor.

Oh by the way, have you enabled the "two-step verification" process on your account? You may want to have a look at the information provided HERE regarding this process. Also you may want to take a look what may be a relevant FAQ as well; in regards to this link, if you are already using IMAP or POP3 then scroll down to Step #3 and continue to read on from there on this FAQ webpage.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

Hi laksrool!

This is the error overview:

Code: Select all

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.23.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
  Időtúllépés

"Időtúllépés" is a hungarian word, it means: Time is out.
My OS is Windows 10 with fall update. That's all.

I have already enabled the "two-step verification" a long time ago.
Now i create a new app-specific password too, but the state is the same.
Google detects that i would like to use this password because the last time of use of this password is appeared on Google site.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Because you have said here:
pvt.peter wrote:I installed fall update and after that i can not able to login into my gmail account via POP Peeper.
The message is: Timeout.
I changed nothing on gmail account, so it is the same before of install the new Windows 10 update.
It would appear your problem may be related to the recent Window10 Update you have mentioned, so I have contacted Jeff regarding this issue.

In the mean time until when Jeff can address the topic, can you provide some additional information? This has to do with what occurs up to the "time out" error.

Please do a "Mail Check" and watch the status bar in Pop Peeper (at the bottom of the Pop Peeper interface) while the "Mail Check" progresses. You should see in your status bar the Email Account(s) attempting to "connect" and "login" and also display if the account is attempting to "Retrieve Mail".

Please post back what you see, whether your Gmail accounts specifically display "Connecting" and/or "logging in" and/or "Retrieving" messages. We are interested in how far along the "Mail Check" gets prior to the "time out" error.

Thank you for your assistance and of course patience in this matter :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi again Pvt.peter, would you please do the following for us:

1) Press the "WIN" key + R (a combination of the key with the windows logo + the "R" key at the same time)

2) Then type msinfo32 (in the run box)

3) Press enter

4) Please paste a screenshot of the window you get to this forum topic (if you are unfamiliar with providing screenshots refer to the following link on how to do this: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post)

This will provide us with helpful System information about your computer.

Thank you very much for your help.
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

1. Kapcsolódás -> "Connecting"
2. Bejelentkezés -> "Logging in"
3. Levelek számának letöltése -> "Download number of e-mails"
Tha whole process is very slow. Sometimes the 3. step is missing.
The e-mails are not displayed in the list, only the number of them at the left side.
Picture about POP Peeper during "Mail Check"
Picture about POP Peeper during "Mail Check"
Picture about system information
Picture about system information
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you for that information pvt.peter, this is helpful to us.

It looks like your Pop Peeper account is processing the Mail Check since you are getting the steps displayed in the status bar.

Are you still getting the "time out" errors?

It looks like you have another problem regarding messages that do not display in the Pop Peeper account inbox.

As far as the missing messages in the Pop Peeper inbox it is possible that you may have "hidden" messages in this account.

In the menu bar go to "Messages" and uncheck "Enable display filters" to disable this option. In this case you will get a popup window that will explain what this does. Doing this may help display the "missing" messages. You should then check the "Enable display filters" to enable this option once again.

Refer to the last two posts in THIS TOPIC for details regarding the different options you can take to list emails that do not appear in the account(s) inbox.

Please post back if any of this helps you out in either this post or what is described in the linked topic above.

Oh by the way one more thing to check: login to the Email Client(s) on the web using your browser to verify that their are actually messages that are listed in the account(s) inbox that are not listed in the Pop Peeper inbox for the same account(s). Do you see the messages in the Client Email's inbox that do not display in the Pop Peeper inbox?
mjs

Post by mjs »

If nothing in the last post helped to display any messages in the inbox for the account that has message counts in the left pane then try the following steps to see if this helps:
1) On the Pop Peeper main menu, select "Tools" > "Options"
2) Select the "message retrieval" option page
3) Refer to the "Default Retrieval Options" section, since you're using IMAP make sure this retrieval settings is NOT be set to "number of messages", actually depending upon your preference: all 3 values should be either headers or preview or entire (but for this account it appears your using IMAP). If the retrieval setting was set to "number of messages" then change it to another choice and press OK. If you had to change this setting from "number of messages" then try a "Check Mail" after you have changed that setting and see if your emails display in the Pop Peeper inbox.

If you did not have to change this setting or you did but this did not help then try the following steps:
1) Make sure "Advanced Options is enable, it probably is but to make sure: On the main menu, select "Tools" > "Options", select the "General" option page and enable "Advanced Options" on the top-right and press OK
2) Edit the account (right-click the account and select "Edit")
3) Go to the "Advanced" page
4) If the "Retrieval option" is set to "number of messages" then change this setting to "Default"
5) Press OK, If you had to change this setting to "Default" then try a "Mail Check" and see if the messages are displayed in your Pop Peeper inbox this time.

Please post back if any of this helps solve your problem with the messages not displaying in your Pop Peeper inbox.

In regards to the perceived slow processing of the "Mail Check", how has your connection been recently? Are you noticing any sluggishness surfing the web?
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

Hi, thanks your reply.
I will check your suggestion when i access my home computer.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi pvt.peter,

Just a few more follow-up questions:

1) Can you tell us what you have this "Less Secure Apps" setting at for Google: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps.

2) Have you been able to login to your Gmail Account on the web using a browser and get to your inbox on a regular basis or are you sometimes getting a message from Gmail when doing this that keeps you from getting directly to the inbox?

Thanks again, you have been a great help. :D
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

hi lakrsrool!

I tried your tips, but the state is the same.
I use two steps verification, so "Less Secure Apps" setting is unavailable for me.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I posted a reply, but when I went back to re-read the discussion, I realized I missed some relevant details so I deleted that post. Namely, that you are able to connect and that the timeouts appear to be caused by the fact that your connection really is slow.

Have you tried restarting your computer?
When you try to access gmail.com using your browser, is it slow?

Also, try this test:
1) In the start menu, type:
cmd
and open the result (cmd.exe)
2) Type:
ping imap.gmail.com
and press <enter>
3) Copy/Paste your result, it should look something like this (screenshot is fine):
>ping imap.gmail.com

Pinging gmail-imap.l.google.com [74.125.69.109] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.69.109: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=46
Reply from 74.125.69.109: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=46
Reply from 74.125.69.109: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=46
Reply from 74.125.69.109: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 74.125.69.109:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 56ms, Average = 52ms
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

Hi Jeff!

Have you tried restarting your computer?
Yes, of course.

When you try to access gmail.com using your browser, is it slow?
No, it is has got a decent speed.

I attached the results as images.
Ping.png
Telnet.png
Telnet.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 7307 times

I will try to disable my firewall and antivirus, i will report the results.
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

After i disable Windows firewall and NOD32 v9 antivirus, the mail checking process runned succesfully.
Number of mails appeared on left pane, but the right panel list is empty.
mjs

Post by mjs »

pvt.peter wrote:After i disable Windows firewall and NOD32 v9 antivirus, the mail checking process runned succesfully.
Number of mails appeared on left pane, but the right panel list is empty.
Your connection appears to be good.

So then we know it's presumably not hidden messages that are causing this because you have checked this out by following the steps I outlined HERE in this topic.

Hmmm, let's try the following (you've enabled the necessary Advanced Options before this by doing the previous tests so that's out of the way):

STEP 1) Right-click on the account that based on the counts in the left pane is supposed to have messages in the PP inbox.
STEP 2) Find the option "remove messages from list". Is this option available (not disabled which would in that case be grayed out)? Note: This option is only available if there is message data in the account.
STEP 3) If this option "remove messages from list" is available try selecting this option.
STEP 4) Right-click on that account and select "Check Mail".

Do you see the messages in the PP inbox now? [-o<
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

"Remove messages from list" is disabled.
mjs

Post by mjs »

pvt.peter wrote:"Remove messages from list" is disabled.
OK, this tells us that the PP database presumably does not have messages.

And you still have a message count of 3 in the left pane of the Pop Peeper interface?

Try this, exit and restart Pop Peeper and see if BEFORE POP Peeper has a chance to do a "Mail Check"; does the account still have the same 3 message count or has it been reset to 0?

And if you login to your Gmail account on the web what is it that you see in the Gmail inbox?
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

Oh my god...
So i exit from PP and disable "E-mail protection" in NOD32 v9 ...
After that start PP, and now "Email checking" success, and my e-mails appeared in the right list too...

So, the problem is NOD32 E-mail protection.
It is very strange, because of i don't configure it before and after Win10 Fall update, but when i installed update it was gone wrong...

So, my problem is solved, thank your helps.

Best regards,
Peter
pvt.peter

Post by pvt.peter »

It was very freaky.

So i would like to thanks again your correct and fast reply to this problem. :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

pvt.peter -- glad you found the culprit! And thank *you* for investigating on your own and reporting what you found. Something like that is hard to troubleshoot unless we know your system.

If you continue to investigate and figure out what the problem is in NOD32, please let us know so that we can pass that onto others who may run into the same problem.

I will edit the original title so that it's easier to find for future reference.