Disabling voice notification

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ElectroDan

Disabling voice notification

Post by ElectroDan »

Could anyone please tell me how I disable the voice notification when new mail comes in?

It's really annoying when I'm using my headset on a Skype call etc. and it reads it out in the middle of a conversation.
mjs

Re: Disabling voice notification

Post by mjs »

In the main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Notification", disable (uncheck) "New mail" setting at the top of that window and Click "OK".

If you have the PlusPack and are using "voice notification" then go to "Tools" > "Voice Notifier" > "Voice Notifier Settings" > Select "Accounts", if all our accounts are unchecked (likely the case) the easiest way is to enable "Include Accounts" so that all accounts unchecked will not notify. (none of this applies if you do not have the PlusPack)

Of course you can alternatively toggle the green ball in the lower right corner of the Pop Peeper interface to turn the ball to red so that no mail will arrive or you can right-click on the Pop Peeper icon in the system tray and disable (uncheck) the "Auto Check" setting.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ElectroDan

Post by ElectroDan »

Brill, thanks for the swift response. I do have the PlusPack but hadn't found those settings before.

Cheers!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Disabling the "new mail" setting will only affect the standard sound that's play when you receive new email, it will not affect any other notifications including voice.

Further, using "Include" or "Exclude" as instructed is not the proper method to disable voice:
From the main menu, select Tools / Plugins, find and uncheck "Notification voice" to disable it.

An alternative to what you want to do is, instead of disabling voice notification altogether, go back into the voice notifier's settings, and on the 'General' page is:
global hotkey to stop current and queued messages
- Set that to something (I personally use Ctrl+Shift+S for Stop or Silence or Shutup) and when the voice starts to speak, use that key combination and it will immediately stop. This is only an immediate effect; if you receive new email it will speak again. Be sure to set the "Accounts" page back to "exclude none" if you want to do this.