Messages not deleted from PopPeeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
cloverdavid

Messages not deleted from PopPeeper

Post by cloverdavid »

I have changed all of my email accounts to Gmail. When I open Thunderbird to collect my new messages, there are no problems. However, none of the messages are deleted from PopPeeper. There may be some settings in Thunderbird or PopPeeper that I am missing. When I go into the Gmail account, the messages that have already been downloaded are still in the inbox. They should have been deleted, according to settings in Thunderbird...but they are not. :(

Any suggestions?

David
mjs

Re: Messages not deleted from PopPeeper

Post by mjs »

Hi cloverdavid, what is it that you mean by "... the messages that have already been downloaded are still in the inbox"? What inbox is it that you are referring to?

It sounds like you do not expect the messages to be in the Pop Peeper inbox, if so, can you please elaborate on why this is your expectation?

In regards to messages that should be presumably deleted "... according to settings in Thunderbird", what are these "settings"?

Do you mean by "I have changed all of my email accounts to Gmail" is that you have changed from another Email Client to using the Gmail Client or do you mean that you have changed already existing Gmail accounts in Pop Peeper to the "Gmail" Server type?

I apologize for the confusion on my part. :?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm assuming that after you download messages using Thunderbird, that messages are still visible in your inbox as displayed by both POP Peeper and a webbrowser.

This would indicate that TB is not deleting the messages as you would like/need it to. What method is *Thunderbird* using to access the account -- IMAP or POP3? Generally, for what you want to do, POP3 would be the best choice to use (for POP Peeper, IMAP would be preferable).

There *may* be a way to do what you want if you have TB set to use IMAP, but I don't see any straight-forward method to do it. Further, as far as I know, TB doesn't allow you to change the protocol for an existing account, so you may have to set the account up again in TB to use POP3 if it's currently setup as IMAP. I assume that it probably is setup to use IMAP, because I believe that TB will default to using IMAP for a gmail account.

So, for a POP3 server in TB:
On the "server settings" page of the account settings, disable the option:
"leave messages on server"
and press OK -- that should be all you need to do.
cloverdavid

Post by cloverdavid »

Sorry I have not replied. On October 16 my AT&T Uverse Internet connection went down. Five weeks and four service tech calls, and the connection was restored; there apparently were many problems in the line from my house to the switching station. Although the connection was restored, my download speed was about half of dial up. Many calls, etc., etc., but "reasons" why I had no problems before the "repair" but now do made no sense. I could not get email or go to the web because the servers timed out. For reasons I don't understand, PopPeeper was able to list the incoming mail and I could open and print. Sending did not work. Long story short: I now have Exede satellite and have no problems connecting.

I tried to follow your suggestions, but now Google has refused to allow me to open another account. Subject of next post in few days. (Medical issues slow me down.)

David
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, no problem. Let us know when you have further questions.