"Register POP Peeper as Windows Email Client", can't uncheck box?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
fredo

"Register POP Peeper as Windows Email Client", can't uncheck box?

Post by fredo »

Could you help me ?
I use Pop Peeper Pro 4.0.1.0
Under Tools > Options > General :
How can I eliminate the check mark "Register POP Peeper as Windows Email Client"
I can`t clear this Check mark - why not ?

fredo
Last edited by spc3rd on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic re-titled for better exposure.
spc3rd

Re: "Register POP Peeper as Windows Email Client", can't uncheck box?

Post by spc3rd »

Hi fredo and welcome to the PP Forums!

The "Register POP Peeper as Windows Email Client" option is not typically check-marked by default. To remove it, normally just involves clicking on the box with the check-mark in it, then clicking on the [OK] button.

To help us better assist you, please post back with the following:

1. Please provide more details as to exactly what happens when you click on the box beside the option to remove the check-mark, and then click on the [OK] button?

** If you are receiving some error message or dialog box opening on your screen, please include/attach a screenshot of it in your next reply. Instructions for doing so are explained HERE.

2. What operating system are you using the PP program on?

Thank you and best regards,
Global Moderator
fredo

Post by fredo »

Hi Pete, Thank you that you will help me.
When I do open the Reg. "General" and I click in the checkbox - normaly the hook is cleared.
So not in my POP Peeper Pro
Some hours ago I have set the hook in this checkbox.....
------My Win 7, 64 bit, ask me "would you change......" and I said "yes" ( It was a Test now)
Now I can`t withdraw it !!!
Certainly, this status is set in the poppeeper.ini as "0" or "1"
But I can`t find it there
I can click and click and click in the checkbox - but I have no action !
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks for posting back with that info, fredo!

We do our best to help PP users with any issues that may arise, as we have many knowledgeable members here who have been using PP for a long time!
At this point, I've contacted two of our other PP Team Members and asked them to review your topic here as I believe they may be better able to help you in this particular situation than I.

Hopefully, they will be stopping by the Forums later on. (Being this is a holiday weekend, we sometimes experience some delays - but, rest assured we'll help get your problem resolved)!

Hang in there!
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

The only purpose of the "Check box" you have mentioned here is to establish Pop Peeper as your WIN 7 Operating Systems default "Email Client", that is all this does (the "check box" is not intended to turn this setting on/off so to speak or to be more precise to "undo" the setting by unchecking). Presumably you want to go back to your former "Email Client" default, this is not accomplished by just unchecking this Pop Peeper "check box". How to change your default "Email Client" is discussed below (the easiest way to accomplish this is to use Pop Peeper to make the change as discussed below and illustrated by the embedded image).

You can set your default "Email Client" using either Pop Peeper or your Win7 OS. (you must have at least one [other] "Email Client" (program) installed on your computer). *Note: If Pop Peeper is actually your ONLY "Email Client" program then do not proceed any further since you would not want to change this setting from the way you have it since it is best to just leave the setting this way so that "mailto" website links will work.

Using Pop Peeper to switch to another "Email Client" (assuming you have another "Email Client" installed other than Pop Peeper) simply go to where you were before: Under "Tools" > "Options" > "General" and click on the "Email Client" drop-down arrow as you see illustrated in the embedded image below (pointed out by the arrow) and select from the drop-down list the "Email Client" you would like to make your "default" (circled list) and then Click "OK". (to "clear the check mark" as you posted it would be necessary to select an alternate "Email Client" program, which is what is being done here. Unchecking does not provide Pop Peeper with what you want the "default" to be which is why you need to make an alternate selection from the drop-down list to proceed with the change.)
Select from the list which "Email Client" you prefer to have as your "Default".
Select from the list which "Email Client" you prefer to have as your "Default".
Try changing your "default" setting back this way as illustrated above since this is the easiest way to accomplish the switch. :wink:

An alternate way to set your default "Email Client" would be via your WIN7 OS. Assuming you have multiple "Email Clients" installed on your computer, only one will be configured to work as the "default" email client. You must use the "Default Programs" option if you want to switch the default email client in Windows 7.

The following steps are the way to do this using the alternate method via the WIN7 OS setting:
1) Click on "Start" and then click the program labeled "Default Programs. (from the list to the right)"
2) Click the option labeled "Set your default programs."
3) Click the email program that you want to set as the default program from within that list of programs.
4) Click the option labeled "Set this program as default."
5) Click the button labeled "OK" to finish setting the selected email program as the default email program.

The example below shows that other than Pop Peeper I have 2 "Email Client" apps to choose from (see arrowed apps), I can then select either one (I have Microsoft Outlook selected) and then click the circled area (Set this program as default) that you see in the image below and follow through by clicking "OK" to make the change:
Selecting default Email Client via WIN7.
Selecting default Email Client via WIN7.
Please report back your progress.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
fredo

Post by fredo »

Hallo Lakrsrool
nice, that you will help me.
Remember: my problem is: why can I not uncheck the Box under "General" in POP Peeper Pro ?
I have one webmail - Email Client now ( its name is "mail unitybox.de" ) and is configurated as ""email program" with the URL +http://mail.unitybox.de
I use Pop Peeper mostly because it has an acoustical Email signalisation.
It works well with "checked" or "unchecked" Box.

I belief to eliminate a default program (here the link to the .eml - Datei) under WIN7 is so easy not.
Also, to clear the key in the Registry HKCU>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Curren Version>Explorer>File Exts resolves the problem not
I will know: Why can I do the "checked" Box not unchecking again.

Sorry, my English

Fredo
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You cannot "undo" setting an email client because that is not the Windows way -- that is, you *must* set something else to be the default email client. If you had a previous email client set as the default, then you will have to run that client again; if it doesn't ask you immediately to set it as the default, then you can find it in its settings. If you did not have a default email client, then leaving it as POP Peeper won't hurt anything. Setting POP Peeper as your default email client affects the following:
1) Double-clicking on .eml files will open the email message in POP Peeper
2) Clicking on a "mailto" link in your browser will use POP Peeper

These are things that are set in the Windows registry and this is what POP Peeper uses to determine if it's already the default client; there is no setting in the ini file.