Problem Cookie for Online GMail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rhr

Problem Cookie for Online GMail

Post by rhr »

Hi all

I use click GMail message then open and click 'Online' until yestersday, it is fine but what happen today, I click 'Online' and message said
We've detected a problem with your cookie settings.
Enable cookies
Make sure your cookies are enabled. To enable cookies, follow these browser-specific instructions.

Clear cache and cookies
If you have cookies enabled but are still having trouble, clear your browser's cache and cookies.

Adjust your privacy settings
If clearing your cache and cookies doesn't resolve the problem, try adjusting your browser's privacy settings. If your settings are on high, manually add http://www.google.com to your list of allowed sites.
I click right click to GMail Account and click 'Clear Cookie' but not work
run I.E. and Firefox, http://www.gmail.com, I saw pictures, they are fine

How I fix Pop Peeper's GMail?
ЯHR
mjs

Re: Problem Cookie for Online GMail

Post by mjs »

Can you please describe more precisely what your doing when you state the following:
rhr wrote:I use click GMail message then open and click 'Online' until yestersday, it is fine but what happen today, I click 'Online' and message said
ADDENDUM: If my post below is applicable to your issue then don't bother with these questions (skip this post).

1) You posted "click Gmail message", where are you doing a "click Gmail message" (what interface are you using?)
2) You posted "then open and click 'online' until yesterday", what are you "opening" and where are you "opening" and what "online" do you click on and/or where is this "online"?
3) Where are you getting this message you posted (what interface)?
4) You posted "I saw pictures, they are fine", what pictures are you talking about?

Thanks
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

OK, I think what you're saying is that PP is not getting your emails and when you attempt to Login to your Gmail account on the web using your browser you're unable to Login because you're getting this error message you previously posted (if this is not correct then take a look at the post above and please post back) and of course because of this issue Pop Peeper is failing to get messages in your PP inbox.

If this is correct then let's use the Firefox browser and see if we can fix this (Firefox browser natively handles cookies a little better than IE in regards to accessing webpage specific cookies).

Using your Firefox browser click on this link: https://mail.google.com/.

1) If you get a Login page then proceed to Login to your Gmail account that has the problem.

2) If you get this error message that you've posted then stay on that web page and do the following steps listed below (it is imperative you remain on the same Google mail webpage):

On the Firefox menu bar do the following (to clear FF cookies specific to this website):
Step #1) Click on "Tools"
Step #2) Click on "Page info"
Step #3) Click on "Security" (where the lock icon is)
Step #4) Click on the "View cookies" button.
A window will open that will list around 33 cookies that all have "google" as part of the name of each cookie.
Step #5) Please select (click on) each cookie, you do this by clicking on the top (first cookie) in the list then while holding down the CTRL key select (click on) the remaining cookies on the list. This will select each on of the cookies in the list. When all cookies have been selected then go to the next Step #6.
Step #6) Click on the "Remove Selected" button. This should clear all the cookies in that list. If you still have cookies remaining then repeat Step #5 and Step #6, until there are not any cookies in the box.

Also it is suggested to clear cache in the error message, to do this click on "History" in menu bar then click on "Clear recent history... ", un-check everything except "Cache" (leave only "Cache" checked) and click on the "Clear Now" button.

Now open another tab in your Firefox browser and click on this link: https://mail.google.com/

1) If you get a Login page then proceed to Login to the Gmail account with the problem

Hopefully you will not get the error you were getting previously. If you are able to login to your Gmail account then do the following in your Internet Explorer browser.

On the IE menu bar do the following:
Step #1) Click on "Tools"
Step #2) Click on "Delete browsing history..."
Step #3) Make sure "Cookies and website data" is checked along with “Temporary Internet Files and Website Files” is checked as well (un-check other selections that you may want to keep)
Step #4) Click the "Delete" button.

See if you can Login to Gmail that has the problem

If you still get the error then go back to Step #1 and repeat all steps but for Step #3 make sure you have "Cookies and website data" checked as before but ALSO make sure "Preserve Favorites website data" is un-checked (again un-check any other selections that you may want to keep).

See if you can Login to the Gmail account with the problem this time, if you can without the error you were getting previously then Pop Peeper will be able to access Gmail successfully.

Please post back your results after following these steps. Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rhr

Post by rhr »

@lakrsrool

1) I Gamil in Webmail (not pop and not IMAP)

2) my camera security send to GMail, I click 'online' I want see all picture every time, I don't like click attach and save, GMail built-in automatic open picture from attach

3) from my camera security bulti-in email

4) I use www.gmail.com from Firefox and IE, I click it open, I see all pictures on website, GMail is design automatic attach into pictures without save file

-------

you give me, I click all from IE, won't work same abovt message

I test

1) click message to open
2) empty, I click "online'
3) I got probelm (same abovt message)
4) click "these browsers-specific instructions." and open but KEEP PP (not Fireox or IE)
5) click "GMail" and open
6) click message and open
7) it is working, all picture but
8) press ESC back to PP's list message
9) click message, click Online, not work! (same abvt top post)

Maybe Poppeeper run IE 32-bits but my computer is Windows 7 64-bit and run IE 64-bits??
ЯHR
mjs

Post by mjs »

What is the version of Pop Peeper that you are using?

From what you have posted you are apparently using the "Gmail" Server-type, not IMAP or POP. If this is correct then you would get better results if you use the IMAP setting.

I think maybe what your asking is you want Pop Peeper to display pictures in the message when you read email in Pop Peeper.

If this is correct then after changing your account to use IMAP you could try going to "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" and uncheck "Block external images and data" and check "Process attachments (e.g. inline images)" to see if this gives you the results you want.

By the way, I take it you are no longer getting the message from Gmail about a problem with your cookies.
rhr

Post by rhr »

4.0.23.0 webmail

Server-Type: GMail (webmail.dll)

IMAP, imap.gmail.com / 995, not work
ЯHR
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Depending on the type of security that's on your GMail account, some pictures may not be able to display. Using the "online" shouldn't be necessary -- this simply views the image from a logged-in session, but if the normal method isn't displaying pictures (assuming that POP Peeper isn't blocking them as lakrsrool mentioned), then "online" isn't going to display them either. I just tested both methods using 2 different accounts, and they both worked for me (using webmail v4.0.23).

- What security are you using on your GMail account (ie. 2-step verification?)
- What error do you get when you try to use IMAP?
rhr

Post by rhr »

@Jeff

last week and past, poppeeper's online but next day, not work

my laptop with poppeeper is working picture but laptop and desktop are same account GMail, don't touch GMail setting,

Laptop is working fine but desktop (this post) is not working
ЯHR
rhr

Post by rhr »

I try try try FINAL!!!

MUST SIGN OUT!!! but no need clear cookie

do not use firefox or IE

1) run POP PEEPER
2) click message and open
3) click ONLINE
4) click "these browsers-specific instructions"
5) top-right name, click it
6) click SIGN OUT
6) close, or exit, and run POP PEEPER
7)click message and open
8) click ONLINE
WORKING!! still pictures!
ЯHR
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm not sure what those steps would have accomplished that would have affected "Online" but I still don't understand why you're using "Online" in the first place. Can you see images without having to use "Online" and is POP Peeper blocking them (in v4, you'll see a banner at the top indicating that it's blocking).
rhr

Post by rhr »

@Jeff okay

BEFORE
1) I click Message (Fig 1)
2) empty message (Fig 2)
3) click 'online'
4) message said cookie (see top of page, post #1)
that wrong.. I tired

FIX
5) click link and click sign out (one time)
6) re-run

AFTER
2) empty message (Fig 2)
3) click 'online'
4) I got message with Picture (Fig 3)
Every test every online, no problem!

I know it is weird and I don't understand too
Attachments
fig3.jpg
fig2.jpg
fig1.jpg
ЯHR
mjs

Post by mjs »

rhr wrote:@Jeff okay

BEFORE
2) empty message (Fig 2) <---- What did you do to get the empty message? You did get the message in step1, what did you do to change this?
3) click 'online' <---- Where and/or what are you doing when you "click online"? (please provide more detail)
4) message said cookie (see top of page, post #1) <---- This is a Gmail account message, right? And what did you do to get this message?
that wrong.. I tired

FIX
5) click link and click sign out (one time) <---- What "link" are you clicking? What "sign out", are you logging out of Gmail?
6) re-run <---- "re-run" means what?

AFTER
2) empty message (Fig 2)
3) click 'online'
4) I got message with Picture (Fig 3) <---- Fig 3 "message" displays no "picture", do you mean when you open the message you get pictures?
Every test every online, no problem!

I know it is weird and I don't understand too
Thank you in advance rhr for describing in more detail what it is that you are doing and what it is that happens by answering the above questions. :D
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

rhr -- I can answer some of lakrsrool's questions for you, but there is one question that I have myself, which is:
"What did you do to get the empty message? You did get the message in step1, what did you do to change this?"

Answering for rhr, so we're all on the same page:
"Where and/or what are you doing when you "click online"?"
-> the "online" button on the toolbar, which is the equivalent of menu: View / View message online (or F10)

"This is a Gmail account message, right? And what did you do to get this message?"
-> When you use "View online", PP's browser window opens the message directly from the server (instead of using a cached local copy, which is how PP usually displays email content). In order to do this (ie. access an account directly), PP uses cookies so that GMail knows that the browser has authorization to access the account.

"What "link" are you clicking? What "sign out", are you logging out of Gmail?"
-> For whatever reason, it sounds like Google doesn't like the cookies mentioned above, so it's rejecting the browser's access (the "browser" being PP, in this case). So instead of displaying the email message, it displays the error that rhr mentioned in the original post, and there's other information displayed too that rhr didn't explicitly mention, such as a "sign out" button.

""re-run" means what?"
-> exit and restart PP. This was probably necessary to clear PP's internal cookies, so it wouldn't try to use the same old (bad) cookies.