does pp mark everything as read?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
biatche

does pp mark everything as read?

Post by biatche »

all my mail are suddenly "read". im using imap on gmail server.
mjs

Re: does pp mark everything as read?

Post by mjs »

What version of PopPeeper are you using?

Regarding a different topic that may still apply to your specific question please CLICK HERE for a post by Jeff discussing improved sync capabilities in the soon to be released version 4.1.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
biatche

Post by biatche »

i dont want pp to mark my unread(old) mail as read. do i assume that it will be fixed in 4.1?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yes, in the soon to be released Version 4.1 "... the messages will only become read on the server when you've actually read the message (or marked it as read).", as specifically stated by Jeff in the post I previously linked.

By the way, just to clarify, it's not really a matter of being "fixed" but rather this "Imap support" for synchronizing read/unread state has been made available as of the version 4.1 update hence was previously unavailable. Make note that this option is DISABLED BY DEFAULT FOR EXISTING USERS. To enable this new feature you will need to go to in the Main Menu: "Tools" > "PPTweaker" > "Misc" page to then enable the 'IMAP: Sync read/unread state with server' setting at the bottom of that page. Keep in mind that this will be presented to you together with other notations in the Version Upgrade dialog the first time that POP Peeper v4.1 runs.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In the meantime, you can also set POP Peeper to retrieve headers-only; this way, messages will only be marked as read by the server when POP Peeper retrieves them (ie. you open the message in POP Peeper).

main menu: Tools / Options;
select Message Retrieval
Set IMAP = Headers
Last edited by Jeff on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo