Pop Peeper has stopped picking up one of my hotmail email accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Pop Peeper has stopped picking up one of my hotmail email accounts

Post by Jeff »

Regarding my admission that "the latest Hotmail interface does not have full support by POP Peeper" -- there really are no current plans to support the remaining features. The last change made by Hotmail was extremely difficult to support just basic functionality and the prospect of doing the other features does not appeal to me, since they are supported by IMAP/POP3/SMTP. So, basically, the webmail support is sufficient for people that don't have access to the proper protocols (e.g. behind a corporate firewall that blocks SSL/TLS email ports).

There are a couple of things that make me re-consider that, though. One:
> Update: Methinks there is more going on here than meets the eye.
That's goes to the 2nd paragraph of my previous reply that lakrsrool linked to:
"Hotmail's IMAP server is very unreliable"

Note that the "unable to send" (or "send error") isn't relevant to send-mail; it means an error occured when PP tried to "send" a command. Although I'm not sure what the problem was you had with marking as junk; that shouldn't be a problem... maybe just a weird coincidence? let me know if you see something like that again.
mjs

Post by mjs »

burtp wrote:.... After enabling IMAP on the problem account I do receive emails but PP is behaving very irregularly. Checking email on the IMAP account takes about 4 times longer than other Hotmail accounts, often failing with error "unable to send", except I have no mail in my outbox....
I should have mentioned that when switching to another protocol (IMAP in this case) then PP has to download all the messages again in order to repopulate your inbox using the different protocol on the first "Mail check" that occurs after the protocol change has been made which can take some time. After that initial "Mail check" subsequent to switching protocols it should not continue to take "about 4 times longer" as you've described from then on, if it does let us know. As Jeff mentioned the "unable to send" error is an interface error and irrelevant to "sending mail" and is admittedly an error that you may find will occur occasionally.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
burtp

Post by burtp »

Some additional feedback for you on my previously mentioned issues:

* The IMAP slowness I mentioned was not the first time download. I saw that happen but it wasn't the focus of my slowness comment. Having used IMAP on Hotmail for a couple of days it is still unpredictable. A mail check could be very quick or take a while, particularly if there are any (even 1) email to delete or retrieve. Or it could error out. You can see PP counting off the messages in the status bar at the bottom. And my inbox typically has only 15-20 emails in the Inbox for the problem account so this should be pretty quick.

* The slowdown when marking a message as Junk was not a one time thing. It has happened several times since I reported it and ONLY on the Hotmail account I switched to IMAP. I have never seen this issue before the switch to IMAP. Is there something about PP talking to the black list or while list servers that's different when IMAP is enabled? It's almost like PP is sitting waiting for a response.

* I have several other Hotmail accounts, which I have left using the Hotmail protocol. They continue to work fine, at least for now. I am not excited about changing any of them over to IMAP given what I have seen so far. Window Live Mail 2012 works without a hitch, but I suspect they are talking to the server via ActiveSync.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

burtp wrote: * The slowdown when marking a message as Junk was not a one time thing.
Marking a message as junk or legit is purely client-side, and there is no code-logic difference between webmail and imap; although, it's possible that the difference in message formats could cause a difference.

Does it occur for every message or just some? The next time that you find a particular message that causes a problem, please send it to me and I'll see if the same thing happens for me:
1) View the message in PP
2) Select File / Save message as and save the message
3) Email the message source to me (support at esumsoft dot com); be sure to include a quick note why you're sending the message and a link to this forum thread would be helpful, too.
burtp wrote:Window Live Mail 2012 works without a hitch, but I suspect they are talking to the server via ActiveSync.
I'm sure you're right. hmmm.... perhaps it's not in MS's best interest to improve IMAP. I should mention that Hotmail does support IDLE now (which I only discovered recently), but it's not at all stable, either. I've looked through my PP logs and there are a ton of errors from my hotmail account. PP is usually able to re-connect on the retry, which prevents PP from playing the error sound (for those of us that use that feature), but whether this is actually more reliable or not is questionable.