new 4.1.0 has issues on my PC

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
kzinnato

new 4.1.0 has issues on my PC

Post by kzinnato »

Running Windows 10 64bit. Long time popPeeper user, installed 4.1 over 4.0.1.

CPU went high and fan turned on constantly after a short while. Never returned to normal. Right click on systray icon to exit, but clicking exit did nothing. Had to kill via Taskmgr.

Reinstalled 4.0.1 .. all is back to normal.
mjs

Re: new 4.1.0 has issues on my PC

Post by mjs »

Hi kzinnato, just a few questions that might be of help.

How long after installing PP version 4.1 did this occur?

How long did the high CPU activity last before you stopped the PP process via Task Manager?

Did you notice if PP was doing a Mail Check at that time?

Did you take a look at the memory usage of Pop Peeper while you were in Task Manager before you killed the process?

Did you notice anything else showing a lot of activity and/or with a lot of memory usage at the time while in Task Manager?

It sounds like the CPU activity for some process (may or may not have been PP unless you verified this at the time) had locked (hung) your computer which made it unable to exit PP through conventional methods at that time.

I've been on PP v4.1 over the past 9 hours without any issues of any kind.

Had you exited PP (right-clicked systray PP icon and selected "Exit") prior to installing the new version?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There was a note that I was diligent in conveying during the beta, but I forgot about it on the release and I suspect that this is the reason:
The first TWO times that this version starts may be slow for the purpose of database maintenance. After that, POP Peeper should load faster than before.

If PP never displayed any window before you killed the process, the database maintenance is most likely what was happening.

How long did you wait before you ended the process? I would suggest trying it again.

Also, I'm curious: had v4.0 been taking a while to load for you (ie. noticeably longer than v3, if you remember that)? If so, then the purpose of the database maintenance should affect you -- PP v4.1 will load faster.
kzinnato

Post by kzinnato »

First and foremost, thank you for the quick reply. Now on to respond to your questions:
PP did display the window about it being slow to start. This was not at startup, this was hours after starting. "Also, I'm curious: had v4.0 been taking a while to load for you (ie. noticeably longer than v3, if you remember that)? If so, then the purpose of the database maintenance should affect you -- PP v4.1 will load faster." .. 4.0 was only a little faster loading than 3.0.

How long after installing PP version 4.1 did this occur? Within an hour, perhaps sooner but definitely after an hour and until I bothered to figure out what was causing my fan to be on continously. I hadnt really noticed since I was listening to a podcast (which is a normal part of my nightly routine so nothing new with that).

How long did the high CPU activity last before you stopped the PP process via Task Manager? At least 30 minutes.

Did you notice if PP was doing a Mail Check at that time? I did and it was not.

Did you take a look at the memory usage of Pop Peeper while you were in Task Manager before you killed the process? sorry, no.

Did you notice anything else showing a lot of activity and/or with a lot of memory usage at the time while in Task Manager? No, only PP. Once i terminated it, system idle went to 98% and fan stopped

It sounds like the CPU activity for some process (may or may not have been PP unless you verified this at the time) had locked (hung) your computer which made it unable to exit PP through conventional methods at that time.

I've been on PP v4.1 over the past 9 hours without any issues of any kind.

Had you exited PP (right-clicked systray PP icon and selected "Exit") prior to installing the new version? Yes

I will reinstall PP 4.1.0 at some point and keep a better log of things. Certainly could have been a fluke. In the interim, I had noticed you updated the SSL library and I have since downloaded the latest version of that.

Again, greatly appreciate the interest in my problem and will work with you to either replicate or write this off as a one time anomaly. Stay tuned.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, we can rule out my theory about the DB maintenance, as that will only occur before the PP window appears.
Did you notice if PP was doing a Mail Check at that time? I did and it was not.
How did you notice this (e.g. main window or the status of the current tray icon)? Were you able to open/view the main window? If PP was stuck in an infinite loop, then -- often -- you won't even be able to view the main window, but it's also possible that a background thread was stuck in a loop, which wouldn't affect the gui. But to be honest, if PP wasn't actively checking an account, I'm not sure what it could have been doing to get stuck in a loop...

Hopefully it was a fluke, but if it happens again, be sure to let us know. I would recommend going back to v4.0.1 in that case, and if you're willing to help out, I could tell you how to run v4.1 simultaneously on-demand so that I can have you run some tests and get some log files.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Is v4.1.0 available, or is it just a typo? :?
I have v4.0.1.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol wrote:Is v4.1.0 available, or is it just a typo? :?
I have v4.0.1.
The new release is being rolled out in stages, you will know based on "Help" > "About Pop Peeper..." status. :wink: (at some point there will be an "official" announcement posted when released to the public, POP Peeper v4.1 LINK)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
kzinnato

Post by kzinnato »

I reinstalled and after a full day of testing I can happily say that the problem did not return. Two things changed in the interim.

1) I use WebRoot Secure Anywhere and I changed the status of the new PopPeeper from Monitor to Allow.
2) As noted in an earlier note, I upgraded SSL from 1.0.2e to 1.0.2f

I will weigh back in on this topic if the problem recurs. Thanks to all for input and suggestions.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the report and glad to hear it's working now. Do you have any specific reason to believe that it may have been related to your security software?
Advice Guy

Post by Advice Guy »

I have 4.2.0 installed and I have this problem too. It doesn't happen often but sometimes after minutes, hours or days of running fine, PP will start taking 50% of my i7 processor. This leads to overheating and if unattended, a system shutdown. It doesn't respond to a normal shutdown request so only killing the process will stop it.

I don't remember when this started but it's been more than just this version.

I'm sorry I don't have any specific troubleshooting data but I only notice it when things overheat.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Advice Guy -- Can you give a rough estimate of how often it happens? e.g. X times in a week.

Based on the last post from the OP: are you running WebRoot Secure Anywhere? Or are you running similar security software in which you may need to allow access. This is more often the case for Firewall than AntiVirus; I'm not too familiar with WebRoot but I found an excellent reply of what "monitor" does from the horse's mouth and they do confirm that it can have negative impact:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroo ... /td-p/4871
Obviously we can't be sure that was the problem for the OP.