[solved] bug with a message

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
lian

[solved] bug with a message

Post by lian »

Hello,
I receive a newsletter that makes Pop Peeper crashing each time. I have no problem with Thunderbird. I put an eml version of the message as attachment.
Last edited by lian on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Windows 10 64 bits
spc3rd

Re: bug with a message

Post by spc3rd »

Hi lian,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing.

I removed your attachment because it contained personally-identifiable information within the message source code. This is to protect your security and privacy.

Please post back with the following information:

1. Which version of PP are you using?

2. When these crashes occur, is PoPPeeper displaying any **error message(s)?

** [If you see a yellow icon with an "!" mark within it on the lower right corner of the PP Main interface, please click on it to see the error message. Then, click on the [COPY] button which places the message on your clipboard. You can then paste the error message text in your next reply.

NOTE: Be sure to edit any personal information, such as, your actual email address before submitting your reply.

Jeff and the PopPeeper Team will review your post for additional follow-up today.

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
lian

Post by lian »

1. I use last version (4.0.10)
2. there is no error message. Pop Peeper says it's downloading stuff - fonts gstatic.com - and after a while the window gets blank and I've got the traditionnal error message from Windows 7 - 64 bits.

I have to kill the application and restart. It's the only message - newsletter with problem. The problem is relatively recent - two monthes ?

You can test the newsletter subscribing here: http://www.cinemalescarmes.com/ (left sidebar).
Windows 10 64 bits
mjs

Post by mjs »

Just a few additional questions before Jeff follows-up with this issue you are having (since we do not have the error information available to us):

1) What Email provider are you having the problem with? (Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail etc)

2) What "Server type" are you using? (i.e. "Webmail", IMAP or POP3) To check this edit the account (right-click on the account in the left pane of the Pop Peeper main page) click on "Edit", then make sure your on the "General" tab and post the "Server type" setting you see on this page.

3) While in "About Pop Peeper", if the "Server type" that you are using is not "IMAP or POP3" then please post as well the "Webmail" plugin version you are using?

Thanks. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
lian

Post by lian »

The provider is Free - french provider http://www.free.fr/freebox/

I use Pop3
Webmail: 4.0.14 - but I see there is a new version, I will update.
Windows 10 64 bits
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you lian for providing the information.

Addendum: Please prioritize the post by Jeff below before doing anything else. :idea:

In the meantime while waiting for Jeff to review this topic you could try changing your account to IMAP instead of POP3 to see if this makes a difference with this newsletter that is causing problems. All you have to do is edit the problem account(s) and change the "Server type" from "POP3" to "IMAP" at which time POP Peeper will make all the other necessary setting changes to the account(s). In rare cases due to firewall restrictions IMAP may not be allowed but if you are able to make this change then wait to see if this solves your problem when the newsletter arrives in your inbox. If you have issues using IMAP you can always change the "Server type" back to POP3 and once again all the other necessary settings will be applied.

FYI, the Webmail version would not apply to this issue since the protocol being used does not use this plugin in this specific case.

If you try the IMAP protocol, please post back your results. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lian -- could you email the message source of a sample message to me (support at esumsoft dot com) and I'll check it out. I suspect that there's a good chance that v4.1 has fixed this.

One other thing you might also try: assuming that PP displays the message in HTML by default, try viewing the message as plain and/or rich text. Right-click on the message in POP Peeper's message list and then select View / Plain text (or "rich text") and see if you're able to view it that way. If so, that supports my theory that v4.1 will fix it, but I'd like to double-check it anyway.
lian

Post by lian »

Jeff wrote:lian -- could you email the message source of a sample message to me (support at esumsoft dot com) and I'll check it out. I suspect that there's a good chance that v4.1 has fixed this.

One other thing you might also try: assuming that PP displays the message in HTML by default, try viewing the message as plain and/or rich text. Right-click on the message in POP Peeper's message list and then select View / Plain text (or "rich text") and see if you're able to view it that way. If so, that supports my theory that v4.1 will fix it, but I'd like to double-check it anyway.
Webmail 4.1 seems to work well with the newsletter - I just received last message. Thanks for your quick answers.
Windows 10 64 bits
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: [solved] bug with a message

Post by Jeff »

I assume you mean POP Peeper v4.1, but regardless, that's good to know. I signed up for their newsletter yesterday, but I have yet to receive one...