Best method to update portable version on thumbdrive?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sunclad@sunclad.com

Best method to update portable version on thumbdrive?

Post by sunclad@sunclad.com »

What is the best version to update to version 4.1.1. portable version on a thumb drive.

Specifically, what folder should it be installed to without the risk of overwriting settings files and account files?

I ask because that has happened top me in the past. Thankfully I saved a back-up copy.

Also, I do not see a portable version being offered for download and PortableApps is only linking to Enumsoft? Whats up?

When I tried the EXE installer on my thumb drive it wanted to write to the start menu. It's not a zip file.

Thanks
mjs

Re: Best method to update portable version on thumbdrive?

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum sunclad@sunclad.com,

You might want to wait for Jeff to reply to your topic with the most current information, however in the meantime I can point you to this Download Page where you will find an alternate zip file download link for v4.1.1 that can be used for what you want to do. Also here are a couple of topics (albeit older) on the subject: Re: official portable version in archive format and Installing POP Peeper v4 on USB drive that may be of help.

But again, feel free to wait on additional feedback from Jeff. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Best method to update portable version on thumbdrive?

Post by Jeff »

Not much more I can add than that. None of the installations will overwrite your settings file so there's no danger of that. In fact, you *must* overwrite your previous installation so that POP Peeper can find your settings.