"Navigation to the web page was canceled" error.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rvail317

"Navigation to the web page was canceled" error.

Post by rvail317 »

"Navigation to the web page was canceled" error, when attempting to view any particular email.
The specific IMAP email server makes no difference: hotmail, yahoo, & outlook.
This error re-occurs after PopPeeper 4.1.1.0 is shut down completely, such as a system re-boot.
The only cure is to re-install PopPeeper, after which all works fine, until the next re-start.
System: Windows 10 64-bit (in-place upgraded from Windows 8.1); default browser is Firefox 45.02.
I'm thinking that: if PP were completely uninstalled and then re-installed, the problem would disappear?
Attachments
PopPeeperError.png
mjs

Re: "Navigation to the web page was canceled" error.

Post by mjs »

I assume you are getting this message when within an email message you click on an email link that should open the link in your default browser and that default browser is Firefox. You have said you have this problem "when attempting to view any particular email" so if my assumption is not the case then disregard the comment below and please elaborate on what it is exactly that you are doing when you get this message.

If you have Firefox set as your default browser in Windows 10, then from the POP Peeper main menu go to "Tools" > "PpTweaker..." > "Misc 2" and look toward the bottom of that window to determine if you have "Force POP Peeper to open links in your external browser instead of internal browser" checked (enabled).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

No, the error occurs immediately when attempting to view the email itself, not when clicking a link within an email.
That function operates normally.
As far as the the setting "Force POP Peeper to open links in your external browser instead of internal browser" checked (enabled).": that was already configured as to your suggested setting.

I'm thinking that the problem is related to the upgrade from Windows 8.1 (with PP already installed on that O.S.), instead of a fresh install of Windows 10. But as stated previously, everything else works fine (but only temporarily), after re-running the PP installation, while accepting all existing settings.
Last edited by rvail317 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

So then this issue started at the time when you upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10? In regards to this problem, Jeff will need to look into this further.

In the meantime can you please post the paths you see at the top of the POP Peeper "Storage" page, from main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" to get this information. Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

PopPeeperError2.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

Question #1) Did this issue start at the same exact time you upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 :?: (if so when was this?)

Question #2 & #3 & #4) Is the only time you get this error message:
Possible V.png
when attempting to read an email message in POP Peeper or has it also appeared at other times when using your computer :?: And if it gets displayed at other times does it lock your computer :?: And if your computer does get locked then what have you done after you got this error message :?:

If this error message is actually randomly displayed (not always occurring when attempting to read POP Peeper messages) then it can be due to temporarily loosing a connection between your wireless device or router (or perhaps with the Internet itself which would most likely be an ISP issue) and if this is the case and the error message continues to occur you might try checking these devices for problems.

Question #5) If this error message gets displayed only when attempting to read messages in POP Peeper, does it happen every time when attempting to read messages :?: (that is before you do anything to "fix" it i.e. reinstall PP)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I thought this seemed familiar, so I typed "navigation canceled" into the forum's search and looky what I found:
http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... n+canceled

Unfortunately, the OP didn't follow-up with what worked or not, but maybe it will ring a bell for the OP...?
:wink:
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

The cure for that same problem (a post by me dated from 2013, if I recall) at the time was: required a complete re-format and re-install of Windows 7.
PopPeeper is the ONLY program that gives the same "Navigation to the web page was canceled" error.
Note: on a fresh install of Windows 10 (same desktop machine, but on a separate HD), PP works without that error.
What would be useful: include a backup function that would preserve only the email server, associated name & password information into a single backup file.
But: omit the exact file path, which may change between Windows versions.
So that one could: while running Win8.1, first create the PP backup file & save it to a USB thumb drive. Then uninstall PP before upgrading to Win10. Complete the Win10 "in place" upgrade process. Next: re-install PP under Win10, using the saved backup file to quickly re-configure the email server, name and password settings.
WindowsXP uses an entirely different storage folder, for example: C:/Documents and Settings.
But with a proper type of PP backup file, one could potentially even transition from WinXP 32-bit to a Win10 64-bit operating system, provided enough "O.S. awareness" for recognizing the storage path differences between the various Windows OSes.
Maybe there's a folder name difference, such as "C:/Users/*/AppData" vs. "C:/Users/*/ApplicationData" when transitioning from Win8.1 to Win10? Don't know.
Perhaps Microsoft should be made aware that PP should be uninstalled prior to upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?
That's how MS handles certain other installed software, such as AV programs, Windows Media Center, etc.
Re: question #5: Yes, happens every time. Re-run the PP installation, and the problem goes away, but only until the subsequent system re-boot, or simply closing PP by right-clicking/Exit the Task Bar icon.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

What would be useful: include a backup function
The settings are stored in an ini file. Unless you've explicity changed the data path to include the full path, then POP Peeper will use relative paths. However, unless there's information that you have, I don't think this is relevant to the problem you're having. All your accounts/etc. were still there after the Windows-upgrade, right?

The question that I asked in the previous thread is still relevant and would help to troubleshoot the problem (opening the source file). It seems very strange that it works after you install PP. That sounds like it could potentially be a permissions issue, but PP runs at normal permissions whether it starts from the installer or normally. Another experiment: after you restart PP and get the "navigation canceled" error. Try exiting PP and restarting it with Admin privileges (right-click on poppeeper.exe and select "run as administrator") and see if that works or not. That's not a permanent solution, just something that would help narrow things down.

btw, there's nothing in POP Peeper that would be affected by a Windows upgrade. I'm leaning more toward something in your specific Windows settings that doesn't transfer correctly when you upgrade. Or possibly a setting in a security-related app.
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

Re: "All your accounts/etc. were still there after the Windows-upgrade, right?" Yes.
Re: "Try exiting PP and restarting it with Admin privileges" OK, that did serve to correct the error.
As far as the .ini file used as a data backup: maybe include that specifically as an officially supported function within PopPeeper?
It would save a lot of tedious input whenever installing/re-installing Windows, for example.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

rvail317 wrote:Re: "Try exiting PP and restarting it with Admin privileges" OK, that did serve to correct the error.
Ok, so it is a privilege issue... perhaps your temporary folder requires admin privs? Again, the aforementioned instructions would have helped to know, but you can do this:
1) Open the Windows "Run" prompt (press WinKey+R)
2) type the following line and press <enter>
%temp%
-> This will open Windows Explorer to your temp folder
--> let me know the location of this folder
3) Right-click on empty space and move your mouse to the "new" item
- at the very least, you should see "Folder" listed
- if it's the only item available and/or it has the admin shield, then that means that your temp folder is not configured properly and you'll have to modify its permissions so that regular-level programs can access it.
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

OK, problem fixed. The Temp folder needed to be re-allowed access via clicking "Continue" button, after running %temp% per your instructions.
For convenience, I had changed the Temp folder location to C:\Windows\Temp and the folder permissions had evidently failed to transfer correctly during the Win8.1 to Win10 upgrade process.
Thanks much.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad you found it.

It doesn't surprise me too much that moving the temp folder to \Windows\Temp\ would cause an issue, even if the permissions were set correctly in the previous OS. Microsoft doesn't like other programs writing anything under the "Windows" folder. If you really insist on having a custom temp location, my advice would be to move it somewhere else, not under "Windows" or "Program Files"; e.g. C:\Temp\ would be better. Or, if you want it out of the way, maybe \ProgramData\Temp\ although that could be a little iffy (but still better than \Windows\)