Outlook.com issues

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
muzza4

Outlook.com issues

Post by muzza4 »

Hi all

My outlook.com account has been working fine until a couple of days ago. Now it can't connect. I can connect successfully via a web browser.

Poppeeper says...
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.1.1.0
Webmail: 4.1.0.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.1.1.0
SendMail: 4.1.1.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.1.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.1.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.1.1.0

--- Error ---
Outlook [0: POP3] ['pop-mail.outlook.com' (995) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Login Error (Authentication failure: unknown user name or bad password. [Error="ProxyNotAuthenticated" AuthResult=0 Proxy=HK2PR01MB0977.apcprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com:1995:SSL])

Cheers
Muzza
mjs

Re: Outlook.com issues

Post by mjs »

I'm finding that if I set an Outlook account to the POP3 protocol then I get the very same error (presumably MS is having issues with POP3 #-o).

To solve this, edit the Outlook account (right-click on the account in the left pane of the POP Peeper main window interface) by selecting "Edit" from the context menu, then with the "General" tab selected change the "Server type" to IMAP and click on "Update". This should definitely address your problem. :wink: (in the rare case where your firewall doesn't allow you to use IMAP (i.e. blocks SMTP) and the issue with POP3 persists then you always have the option to use the "webmail" protocol ("Hotmail/Outlook" Server type). Keeping in mind, when switching protocols the 1st "Mail Check" will take more time.

ADDENDUM (correction): Yes I did get the same error but not for the reason I stuck-out in the first sentence above. Since I've never used POP3 for any of my webmail accounts including Outlook.com (Hotmail) I was unaware of what Jeff correctly posted below which is that quote: "Outlook's POP3 requires specific permission to be used". Since I unknowingly neglected to apply the required setting for POP3 this was the actual reason why my test produced that same error when I tested for the Outlook.com POP3 protocol.
Last edited by mjs on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
muzza4

Post by muzza4 »

Quite so, all going now after changing to IMAP. Must be MS changing something. Thanks for your help.

Muzza
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I think you get that error if you haven't enabled POP3 in your Outlook account -- Outlook's POP3 requires specific permission to be used, IMAP does not. IMAP is better anyway (as long as Hotmail's IMAP server remains stable, which wasn't the case until recently), so this is just "FYI" and I don't recommend changing it.