messages sent to iCloud say This message has no text content.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ws3333

messages sent to iCloud say This message has no text content.

Post by ws3333 »

When I send an email from my Gmail account to my iCloud account (and my clients), it can not be read in a browser. It says This message has no text content. It can be read on a phone. Also, it is showing Apple Inc. as the sender!
Yet the same message sent from my Gmail account to my Hotmail account can be read in a browser.

Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks much,

Wayne
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: messages sent to iCloud say This message has no text content.

Post by Jeff »

I would like to test this, but is it true that you need an iDevice to get an @icloud.com email address? That seems to be the case anyway:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2620?locale=en_US

I assume that when you say, "from my Gmail account" that you mean from within POP Peeper? What method is POP Peeper using to send email -- edit the account, go to the "Send Mail" page and refer to the "Send option." While you're there, make sure that the "Name" is what you want to be using and not "Apple Inc."

However, the fact that the same message can be read on a phone and on other accounts tells me the problem is with Apple's webmail. Assuming you're sending from SMTP, it's possible that Apple's webmail doesn't support plain text; which, quite frankly, would be very strange. There's a way that you may be able to test this -- this isn't necessarily fool-proof, but if you get the same results, then it does support my theory.

Try sending your @icloud account a plain text message from another source. I couldn't find a way from gmail, but if you have an outlook/hotmail account:
1) Log into your hotmail account with your webbrowser: http://www.hotmail.com/
2) Press the "new" button to compose a new message
3) Near the top is a "..." button -- press that *
4) on the bottom of the menu is "switch to plain text"
5) Compose and send the mail as normal (be sure to include some text in the body) to your @icloud.com account and then see if you can view the message

* if you don't have the "..." button, you should instead see an "options" menu that contains "plain text" (thanks lakrsrool)
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "'options' instead of '...'"
ws3333

Post by ws3333 »

Thanks for the reply!

>I assume that when you say, "from my Gmail account" that you mean from within POP Peeper? What method is POP Peeper using to send email -- edit the account, go to the "Send Mail" page and refer to the "Send option." While you're there, make sure that the "Name" is what you want to be using and not "Apple Inc."<

Yes, it is from within POP Peeper. Send Option: SMTP TLS 587
Name was blank, I put in the name I would like to show. It shows that way in POP Peeper, but in ICloud it still shows as Apple, Inc.

A plain text email from Hotmail to iCloud (as described) is readable, but then an email sent from Hotmail to iCloud through POP Peeper is also readable (same Send Option: SMTP TLS 587)

So it seems like something between Gmail and iCloud, since an email from a different Gmail account to iCloud produces the same This message has no text content. However this account shows the proper sender name.
ws3333

Post by ws3333 »

To continue:
An email sent from Gmail in my browser, using the plain text option, to iCloud can be read, but it shows the sender as Apple, Inc.
Regular email sent from Gmail in my browser to iCloud can also be read, but it too shows the sender as Apple, Inc.
Settings under Send mail as: shows the proper name and email address, so I can't understand where this is coming from.
ws3333

Post by ws3333 »

I found where the Apple, Inc. is coming from. I had a Contact on my phone by that name, and somehow it contained an Other email listing my Gmail address. I've deleted the Contact, but still can't get it to stop.
answer was found here: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've been doing some searching for "This message has no text content" and this doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem. However, in most of the cases I read about, it was affecting a particular app and not via webbrowser (although, it's very possible/likely that there is shared code and maybe the apps have been fixed, but not the web-based app).

- Do you know when this started being a problem? ie. had you sent any prior messages to your icloud account from gmail that worked?

- Have you sent enough samples that you're confident that it happens *every* time, sending gmail->apple via PP?

- Does their webmail provide the capability to "view source"? Technically, any method used to "view source" should be the same, so if it's not available, you could also use PP (reading from your icloud account) to View source (ie. view the message and select File / Save message as). Send a sample test message to me (support at esumsoft dot com). And then I think we should continue the conversation there, as there may be other information I may need from you.
ws3333

Post by ws3333 »

Answers and sample source sent by email.
The Apple Inc. part is now solved, I think. Opening an incognito browser does not show it after deleting the Contact, so the remaining issue appears to be browser detritus.