[Resolved.] Hotmail acct error?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Mitchell

[Resolved.] Hotmail acct error?

Post by Mitchell »

Hi, guys! Coming to you folks for help with a hotmail error. I was away from Window$ for nearly a year and in that time, my hotmail account fell by the wayside. I have a new PC with Windwos 10 on it and I reactivated the account and reset the password this morning and and have updated the information in POPPeeper. But I'm still getting an error despite all the new information, this one:

-----------------------------------------------------
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.1.1.0
Webmail: 4.1.2.0
SSL:
IMAP: 4.1.1.0
SendMail: 4.1.1.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.1.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.1.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.1.1.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 09:48:48 - 09:48:48 (0 s) (-0400)
Data: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 06:48:34 -0700

--- Error ---
02. Hotmail [0: POP3] ['pop-mail.outlook.com' (110) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Bad Connection
-----------------------------------------------------

I was able to log in just fine via my browser but I'm guessing I have some setting wrong in PP somewhere.

Thank you!
Last edited by Mitchell on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
spc3rd

Re: Hotmail acct error?

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Mitchell,

Until other members of the Esumsoft Team can stop by to further review your topic, there are two things which stand-out in your error message.

1. Hotmail's POP3 requires the SSL Plugin to be installed in PP. Your error message indicates it is not installed. You can download it from the link below:

http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-peeper/plugins/

2. The correct port number for the incoming mail server (i.e. pop-mail.outlook.com) should be 995, instead of 110 as indicated in the error message.

More info at this PP FAQ link: http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... otmailPop3

Please try adjusting the aforementioned settings in the affected account(s), and let us know if they are working again, or not. (Remember to click the [UPDATE] button after making any changes).

* - I'll also mention something Jeff has frequently recommended, and that is, using the IMAP protocol is usually the better one to utilize, if you're able to.

** In case you're interested, PP version 4.2 Beta is available. Jeff's announcement can be seen at the link below:

http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 743#p32743

Hope this helps.
Global Moderator
Mitchell

Re: Hotmail acct error?

Post by Mitchell »

Thank you! That all worked. So sorry for being dumb. Dad went into surgery today for knee replacement which as he's a senior now, has me a tad worried in the background and I'm heading over to help my mom as she's not in great shape. Plus looking for work and taking care of getting this PC up and running as fast as I can ... phew, what a relief that this is now working! Around 2,000 messages came through. Lot of mostly junk mail coming in for all this time <g>.

But that did the trick. Thanks! Will definitely check out the link to the new beta.

Cheers!
spc3rd

Re: [Resolved.] Hotmail acct error?

Post by spc3rd »

You're quite welcome, Mitchell!

You're not dumb either! I make mistakes all the time with PP. With all that's going-on in your situation at the moment...it's quite understandable how oversights can occur.

Glad you are back up and running again. Also, I hope things go well with your Dad's surgery & your job search. Being a 'senior' myself...I know only too well how concerning such things can be. Your parents are indeed fortunate to have you, so willing to help them out in their time of need!

Best wishes! :D
Global Moderator
Mitchell

Re: [Resolved.] Hotmail acct error?

Post by Mitchell »

Pete, thanks!

And this app is the best. I felt its lack the most when I was on Linux because even though they have something similar for that OS, it was an old version in the repository that I could never figure out how to work. Tried not to think of PP in those moments! No doubt about it, PP makes our lives so much easier!

Thanks re the good wishes, that is very kind. Dad seems okay so far and I'm picking him up a little later from the hospital. PP helped once again as I have been able to more easily keep everyone in the family up to date with all this. (Yup, it's a plug! <g>). In fact, I've decided that I'm finally going to find the funds for PP. Once I get a new contract, it's going to be something I finally do, as it was low before on the priorities list due to budgetary considerations. It's just going to be so worth it, though! <g>

Thanks once again! :D