Searching forum for gmail or yahoo

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jdbliss

Searching forum for gmail or yahoo

Post by jdbliss »

Every time I try to search the forum for GMAIL or YAHOO, so that I can see issue or entries specific to those types of accounts, I get a search error stating too many results and it will be ignored. Seems a bit finicky. Is there another way to delimit or filter forum posts by type of account?
spc3rd

Re: Searching forum for gmail or yahoo

Post by spc3rd »

Hi jdbliss,

Sorry about the issue you're having.

The Board's search function will generate the type of message you've seen because generally, single words, such as, "GMAIL", "Yahoo", etc are considered too common and general in nature. When entering any search parameters, terms/words must contain at least 3 characters, and a maximum of 14 terms/words may be used. Each search term/word must also be separated by a space.

Another option is to use the Board's "Advanced" search option by clicking on the little 'cogwheel' icon shown to the right of the search box at the top right of the Board Index page. On the page that will be displayed, there are instructions on using the Advanced search function, as well as, available filtering options.

When entering your search parameters in the box shown, to further filter the output, you can use the "+" symbol directly in front of any word(s) which MUST be found, and use the "-" symbol for any word(s) you do NOT want found.

Jeff can provide further info on the Board's search function when he stops by later.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post back if you have additional questions.

[Edited on 11/18/2016 to update search procedure - spc3rd]
Global Moderator
jdbliss

Post by jdbliss »

Thanks Pete. I understand.
Seems a good place for Tags. Like gmail or yahoo or login or spellcheck, etc.
I haven't seen boards with that, but...sounds fun!

Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

huh, interesting. Well, I just deleted and rebuilt the index -- which did seem to have an impact on the couple of stats it tells me (number of indexed words and posts) -- but it still thinks that <removed> and <removed> are too common. Maybe if we stop talking about them... ;)

Also, interesting: while <removed> and <removed> have that problem, I see Hotmail/outlook/live aren't popular enough. I guess that's what happens when you can't decide on a brand name... :P
jdbliss

Post by jdbliss »

Thanks Jeff, I will not worry about my <removed> or <removed> accounts anymore. Heh!