Can't send and it deleted all messages in Hotmail.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
kolohe

Can't send and it deleted all messages in Hotmail.

Post by kolohe »

1: I composed and tried to send an email from PP. It wouldn't send and I got error that had the name of the email account I was sending from and then "Error (0)" below it. I tried to send an email a couple of times and the same thing happened.

2: AND It also it deleted my email from that account from my PP inbox and subsequently when I hit "check email", seeing if it might re-download it, it deleted all the email from my Hotmail account!

1: Why won't my email send?
2: is there any way to retrieve all the email it wiped out? I checked Hotmail's deleted folder just in case and it's empty and I couldn't find anyway to retrieve the deleted email from within Hotmail.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
mjs

Re: Can't send and it deleted all messages in Hotmail.

Post by mjs »

To be able to properly help you further please get back to us with the following information:
1) What computer operating system are you using?
2) What version of POP Peeper are you using? (Go to "Help" > "About POP Peeper" for this)
3) What is the protocol that you are you using to access the Hotmail account in PP? (e.g. Outlook/Hotmail (Webmail), POP3, IMAP, etc)
This is found by using a RIGHT-click on the account in the PP Account List in the left pane of the PP interface and then selecting "Edit" > "General" tab then refer to what "Server type" is set at.
4) When you log-in to the Hotmail account on the web using your browser, are there email messages in that accounts inbox?

Note: when ever you get an error in POP Peeper it is always helpful to provide us with the "Error information" (to do this you click on the yellow exclamation in the lower right corner of the PP interface and then Copy the error (press copy button) then right-click in your forum post and select "Paste" to post the information. Also when you do this it is important to remember to redact any personal information from that information before you submit the error information i.e. your email address.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
kolohe

Post by kolohe »

Win 8, PP ver: 4.1.1.0, outlook/Hotmail
When Logging in to the one that lost/deleted the emails and the one I tried to send from it shows 4 emails in the in box: 2 from 2013 and 2 from 2014. Prior to today's problem there were lots from 2016 and more recent years.
The email that was to receive the email has emails in the inbox including others sent from elsewhere today.

1 other thing: when I was looking up the PP version I noticed that next to SSL it said "failed"

Is this all that you wanted and does it help?

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.1.1.0
Webmail: 4.1.0.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.1.1.0
RSS: 4.1.1.0
SendMail: 4.1.1.0
Notification Voice: 4.1.1.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.1.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.1.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.1.1.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 13:40:19 - 13:40:19 (0 s) (-0700)
Data: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 13:40:14 -0700

--- Error ---
(account name) [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (0)
Send Mail: Error (0)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for getting back to us with the requested information.

I cannot personally see how sending mail from POP Peeper (even if there are errors) could possibly have anything to do with missing messages in your Hotmail accounts Inbox. The only way these emails legitimately end up not in your inbox is if you either deleted the messages by logging in on the web using your browser and doing so or deleting the messages using an Email Client. Do you have an Email Client other than POP Peeper?

Okay so as far as attempting to recover deleted emails, the first thing to try is to go to your "Deleted" folder in your Hotmail account that has the missing emails and then scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see the following at the bottom of the deleted page (note: this is the way it will look in the "Classic" version which I have, refer to the 3rd link below for more info on this including the "new" Outlook.com):
At the bottom of the Delete folder page (scroll down to bottom)
At the bottom of the Delete folder page (scroll down to bottom)
Recover Deleted Hotmail messages.png (5.29 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
Click the "Recover deleted messages" link (Hotmail will attempt to bring back as many deleted messages as possible)

If you did not delete the emails yourself it is possible that your account has been hacked, because hackers will often delete all the messages in an account.

You might also try running a Virus Scan if you have an AV program.

In regards to sending messages; when you send the messages are the messages remaining in your POP Peeper outbox? I can't be of much more help on this, if the messages are remaining in the POP Peeper outbox you might try deleting them from the outbox and then try rebooting your computer to see if this might help.

Listed below are a few links you can look into that might be helpful in regards to messages missing from your Hotmail Account Inbox:

1) Get help with Outlook.com

2) Microsoft support

3) Restore deleted email messages in Outlook.com (more details on what I mentioned above including the "new" Outlook.com)

FYI, Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) has been known to lose emails, admittedly rare but it has reportedly occurred mostly during the time Microsoft was changing over to Outlook.com from Hotmail.com.

Beyond this all I can say is that you will need to wait for other members of the PP Team to look into this further.

Until then it would be a good idea to post which of the two type of accounts you have that might be of help to Jeff, so please post which of the two accounts types as illustrated below that you are using:
Which type of outlook account do you have.png
Thanks for this additional information.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Regarding the deleted messages -- lakrsrool said about as much that can be said -- PP wouldn't delete the messages unless it was told to delete them. Further, the messages would be in your trash folder if PP (or just about anything else*) had deleted the messages.
* - the exception might be if you used a POP3 client to retrieve the messages, which might permanently delete the messages.

Regarding the Send/0-error -- POP Peeper does not support SendMail via the WebMail plugin. You should use IMAP with SMTP instead. Simply edit the account and change the "server type" to IMAP and POP Peeper will adjust the other settings.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Regarding the Send/0-error -- POP Peeper does not support SendMail via the WebMail plugin. You should use IMAP with SMTP instead. Simply edit the account and change the "server type" to IMAP and POP Peeper will adjust the other settings.
This must only apply to the "new" Outlook.com presumably because I am able to send messages using the Webmail protocol with all 7 of my Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts (I'm happy to say) -- I sure hope I can keep these Hotmail accounts as is. [-o<
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I pretty much assume *everyone* has the "new" outlook interface; even though you posted that comparison picture and it was the last thing I saw before replying ;)

According to my vague notes, I think Hotmail introduced the "new" interface around Sep 8, 2015 -- over 9 months ago.
kolohe

Post by kolohe »

lakrsrool wrote:Thanks for getting back to us with the requested information.

I cannot personally see how sending mail from POP Peeper (even if there are errors) could possibly have anything to do with missing messages in your Hotmail accounts Inbox. The only way these emails legitimately end up not in your inbox is if you either deleted the messages by logging in on the web using your browser and doing so or deleting the messages using an Email Client. Do you have an Email Client other than POP Peeper?

Okay so as far as attempting to recover deleted emails, the first thing to try is to go to your "Deleted" folder in your Hotmail account that has the missing emails and then scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see the following at the bottom of the deleted page (note: this is the way it will look in the "Classic" version which I have, refer to the 3rd link below for more info on this including the "new" Outlook.com):
Recover Deleted Hotmail messages.png
Click the "Recover deleted messages" link (Hotmail will attempt to bring back as many deleted messages as possible)

If you did not delete the emails yourself it is possible that your account has been hacked, because hackers will often delete all the messages in an account.

You might also try running a Virus Scan if you have an AV program.

In regards to sending messages; when you send the messages are the messages remaining in your POP Peeper outbox? I can't be of much more help on this, if the messages are remaining in the POP Peeper outbox you might try deleting them from the outbox and then try rebooting your computer to see if this might help.

Listed below are a few links you can look into that might be helpful in regards to messages missing from your Hotmail Account Inbox:

1) Get help with Outlook.com

2) Microsoft support

3) Restore deleted email messages in Outlook.com (more details on what I mentioned above including the "new" Outlook.com)

FYI, Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail) has been known to lose emails, admittedly rare but it has reportedly occurred mostly during the time Microsoft was changing over to Outlook.com from Hotmail.com.

Beyond this all I can say is that you will need to wait for other members of the PP Team to look into this further.

Until then it would be a good idea to post which of the two type of accounts you have that might be of help to Jeff, so please post which of the two accounts types as illustrated below that you are using:
Which type of outlook account do you have.png
Thanks for this additional information.
I have the "black line" outlook/hotmail, so the new one. Which explains the 'won't send' issue. As for the deleted email. Thanks for directing me to the retrieval method. It took a couple of tries but my Hotmail did in fact recover the deleted messages! Thank you! Obviously I did something wrong/wasn't paying attention and inadvertently deleted them. A question re: determining outlook acct: what is "png" and how do you tell if you have it? Thanks so much for your help!
kolohe

Post by kolohe »

Jeff wrote:Regarding the deleted messages -- lakrsrool said about as much that can be said -- PP wouldn't delete the messages unless it was told to delete them. Further, the messages would be in your trash folder if PP (or just about anything else*) had deleted the messages.
* - the exception might be if you used a POP3 client to retrieve the messages, which might permanently delete the messages.

Regarding the Send/0-error -- POP Peeper does not support SendMail via the WebMail plugin. You should use IMAP with SMTP instead. Simply edit the account and change the "server type" to IMAP and POP Peeper will adjust the other settings.
Thanks for the explanation re: the "send mail" issue; it explains the problem. I do have the latest version of Hotmail/outlook so It can't send the way it's set up now. Will changing to IMAP or SMTP change anything else i.e. do I have to change all my PP email accounts to IMAP/SMTP in order to do this? Is changing to one any better than the other? i.e. IMAP vs SMTP?

Thanks very much for your help!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry for the confusion -- IMAP is just another (better, in most cases) method to retrieve your email. "SMTP" is paired with IMAP and is the method that's used to send email (and definitely better than sending via WebMail). So it's not a choice between IMAP and SMTP, it's either WebMail (e.g. "Hotmail/Outlook") or "IMAP with SMTP" (or "POP3 with SMTP" :) ).

You don't need to change any other accounts; in fact, some types of accounts don't support IMAP. If you do have other Hotmail/Outlook accounts, then you might consider changing to IMAP, but maybe later after you see how/if it affects this one.

FYI: GMail and Yahoo also support IMAP/SMTP. But many email services from your ISP do not; although, some are starting to.
mjs

Post by mjs »

kolohe wrote: I have the "black line" outlook/hotmail, so the new one. Which explains the 'won't send' issue. As for the deleted email. Thanks for directing me to the retrieval method. It took a couple of tries but my Hotmail did in fact recover the deleted messages! Thank you! Obviously I did something wrong/wasn't paying attention and inadvertently deleted them. A question re: determining outlook acct: what is "png" and how do you tell if you have it? Thanks so much for your help!
I'm happy to hear that Hotmail was able to recover the deleted messages. When ever this happens where you might need to recover email like this the sooner you do it the more likely Microsoft will be able to recover them, so keep that in mind for future reference.

In regards to "png", I think you are looking at the reply and seeing this since the reply does not display the image thus you only see the "file name". What you are seeing is the extension of "file name" of the image I posted for you to look at in my original post which ends with the extension ".png" which is the "file type". The entire file name is "Which type of outlook account do you have.png", the part in front of ".png" is the actual file name and the ".png" is the file extension which defines the "file type" and in this case is a "Portable Network Graphic" file (png). All files are defined by the "file type" (file extension), the file extension ".png" is just one way to save an image (i.e. "JPG" or "GIF" etc. are other image file types commonly used).

If you are interested you can refer to this link: Common File Types which lists the major "file types". File extensions define the way a file will be used as you can see in the link and dictates what can use the files (that is, what applications will generally use [open] them). Notice if you scroll down the page you will see all of the common image "file types" (extensions used for different types of image files) and you will find "png" listed under the "Raster Image File" kinds of "file types". None of this should be of any concern to you, I'm just providing this for information purposes and is far more than you need to know. :wink:
kolohe

Post by kolohe »

Jeff wrote:Sorry for the confusion -- IMAP is just another (better, in most cases) method to retrieve your email. "SMTP" is paired with IMAP and is the method that's used to send email (and definitely better than sending via WebMail). So it's not a choice between IMAP and SMTP, it's either WebMail (e.g. "Hotmail/Outlook") or "IMAP with SMTP" (or "POP3 with SMTP" :) ).

You don't need to change any other accounts; in fact, some types of accounts don't support IMAP. If you do have other Hotmail/Outlook accounts, then you might consider changing to IMAP, but maybe later after you see how/if it affects this one.

FYI: GMail and Yahoo also support IMAP/SMTP. But many email services from your ISP do not; although, some are starting to.
Thanks for the explanation; it definitely helps my understanding (which is always a good thing). I'll give the IMAP change a try. Thanks again for all your help!
kolohe

Post by kolohe »

lakrsrool wrote:
kolohe wrote: I have the "black line" outlook/hotmail, so the new one. Which explains the 'won't send' issue. As for the deleted email. Thanks for directing me to the retrieval method. It took a couple of tries but my Hotmail did in fact recover the deleted messages! Thank you! Obviously I did something wrong/wasn't paying attention and inadvertently deleted them. A question re: determining outlook acct: what is "png" and how do you tell if you have it? Thanks so much for your help!
I'm happy to hear that Hotmail was able to recover the deleted messages. When ever this happens where you might need to recover email like this the sooner you do it the more likely Microsoft will be able to recover them, so keep that in mind for future reference.

In regards to "png", I think you are looking at the reply and seeing this since the reply does not display the image thus you only see the "file name". What you are seeing is the extension of "file name" of the image I posted for you to look at in my original post which ends with the extension ".png" which is the "file type". The entire file name is "Which type of outlook account do you have.png", the part in front of ".png" is the actual file name and the ".png" is the file extension which defines the "file type" and in this case is a "Portable Network Graphic" file (png). All files are defined by the "file type" (file extension), the file extension ".png" is just one way to save an image (i.e. "JPG" or "GIF" etc. are other image file types commonly used).

If you are interested you can refer to this link: Common File Types which lists the major "file types". File extensions define the way a file will be used as you can see in the link and dictates what can use the files (that is, what applications will generally use [open] them). Notice if you scroll down the page you will see all of the common image "file types" (extensions used for different types of image files) and you will find "png" listed under the "Raster Image File" kinds of "file types". None of this should be of any concern to you, I'm just providing this for information purposes and is far more than you need to know. :wink:
I appreciate the clarification. Actually I found the link, Common File Types, quite informative. (I've even bookmarked the page.) I, in fact, have wondered about file extensions. Thanks again for all your time and help.