Forum- attached images are cut off at the bottom

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
killme

Forum- attached images are cut off at the bottom

Post by killme »

After posting a message with an image attachment, it looks normal. After a couple of refreshes the image gets cut off at the bottom (see attached image). This happens in Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Is it just my computer or does it happen to others?
Attachments
pp-forum-image.png
mjs

Re: Forum- attached images are cut off at the bottom

Post by mjs »

We have been noticing this happen at times that seem to apparently occur randomly in recent weeks.

Can you clarify if this only occurs in this forum or do you see this same thing also happening in other forums as well (assuming you use other forums)?

Up until now I've personally only experienced this kind of thing in this forum and as you say refresh does not help and in fact seems to make it more likely to occur. I've been wondering myself if it has to do with editing a post, do you recall if you had edited the post in this topic? Also it seems that this behavior will randomly go away and the images will render completely at a later time as well but then may return again at a later time.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

fyi: To fix the issue when it occurs: hold shift and press the refresh button
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote:fyi: To fix the issue when it occurs: hold shift and press the refresh button
Yep, certainly does the job! :wink:, I went to the topic that will more often cutoff the images Blank To: and missing address in From: in my case and the images all rendered completely (which is more often the case), but then did a "normal" refresh (just browser refresh) and as it will do in many cases the images then rendered incomplete (cutoff at the bottoms) so I tried the "shift+refresh" and yes the page reloaded with the images completely rendered once again.

So it is a caching thing since the shift+refresh amounts to reloading cache (I've found out by looking up since I haven't heard of this before) which is why a normal refresh can actually make it worse (more often cause the problem) since doing so uses the current cache. Now that we know it's an issue with cache, it makes me wonder if there might be a way (i.e. browser preference settings) to help mitigate this from the start to avoid the nuisance. And I would add, would there any reason why one forum would have a greater preponderance of this issue occurring than any other forum or is this pattern I've noticed either coincidence or possibly a higher incidence of using more and/or larger images in this forum perhaps? :?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
killme

Post by killme »

Interesting. A quick search turned up this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3295 ... pt-refresh

I wonder if it's related to what's going on here and if the fix would correct it.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Okay I found the solution in my case since I use the Pale Moon browser. There is a Boolean Cache Memory setting that can be disabled which solves the problem for me. This same preference also applies to Firefox because the Pale Moon Goanna engine is a fork of the Firefox Gecko engine.

Without this setting disabled I found that when doing a refresh on the http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6617 topic the images would consistently get cut off. If I clear cache on browser exit then I avoid this problem from being persistent on the next browser session, but the problem consistently returns on a page refresh during the same browser session, so unfortunately the option to clear cache when Pale Moon closes only partially solves the problem.

By disabling the Cache Memory preference config setting I can refresh the page all I want and the images will get fully rendered every time. There is no equivalent that I'm aware in any other browsers than Pale Moon (and FF) which would also include other Firefox Gecko engine forks if which there are a few. Fact is there are very few if any browsers that are as configurable as Pale Moon. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I don't recommend going to such extremes, especially since it probably affects all webpages you visit. It means that you'll be re-downloading images (and other data: scripts, etc.) for no reason.

I plan on updating the forum tonight (well, maybe, 50/50) so hopefully that will fix it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, forum was updated and I used the aforementioned link as a test.

The first time I opened it, my heart sank as the images were cut off. But I shift-refreshed it and about 20 attempts after that (refreshing or re-opening from the link) were all successful.

[-o<
mjs

Post by mjs »

Okay, I loaded the forum topic that will not always cutoff images in the browser sessions initial load but has tonight virtually every time cutoff images doing a subsequent refresh and this time on that same topic I never saw an image cutoff after refreshing the page 10+ times. So far so good.... \:D/

Oh btw, before testing I of course changed the preference setting back to what it was before otherwise the test would not have been relevant.

So then as of now we can say in all probability (knock on wood) that the issue had to do with the forum (needing an update). #-o That said Jeff, when you get the time check out the interesting results on the preference setting posted in the moderator board. :wink:
killme

Post by killme »

No more cut off images here. Thank you. =D>