Email recognition problem

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
pepegot1

Email recognition problem

Post by pepegot1 »

Suddenly, no connection. My password is accepted for my default Yahoo account. My other email accounts AOL and Comcast work correctly. However, I have two additional Yahoo accounts and the password is not recognized. I uninstalled and reinstall to no avail. How can I fix this? They will not accept the default accounts password. I went to Yahoo email and changed the respective email accounts passwords, but still no recognition.
See attachment for the two email that are not recognized.
image redaction.png
Last edited by mjs on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image edited to redact sensitive information for security and privacy reasons
mjs

Re: Email recognition problem

Post by mjs »

pepegot1, I have removed information from your attached image for security and privacy reasons. It is always advisable to not post this kind of personal information in the forum.

Also whenever issues such as this occur it is always a good idea to provide us with the "error" information in these cases because it gives us additional data regarding the problem that is helpful. I also noticed that it appears that your POP Peeper is not up to date at some level which the "error" information will also provide to us more specificity about as well.

So would you please click on the yellow exclamation you see in the lower corner of the POP Peeper interface (see image below):
Provide Error info please.png
Provide Error info please.png (11.09 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
and then click on the "Copy" button in the "Error" window that pops-up and then in a reply in this topic, right-click in your post and select "paste" in your reply to provide us with the additional "error" information we need to look into your problem further.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
pepegot1

Post by pepegot1 »

I am running ver. 3.8.1 There is no icon when the yellow icon is pressed.
Need I upgrade to ver 4?
mjs

Post by mjs »

pepegot1 wrote:I am running ver. 3.8.1 There is no icon when the yellow icon is pressed.
Need I upgrade to ver 4?
If you have the yellow exclamation icon dislayed as illustrated in the lower right corner of your POP Peeper window (as illustrated in your posted screen-shot) then doing a left-click on it should produce another Error window with options that include a "copy" button where you can do what I had suggested.

In any case keep this in mind because this is what we recommend you do when these type of errors occur.

As to upgrading to v4, yes this would be highly recommended because there are specific aspects of v3 that are no longer supported which could impact the performance of POP Peeper depending upon how your accounts are setup (i.e. Webmail is no longer supported in the event this is what you are using). The requested error information would have provided us with this information.

If you elect to upgrade to the current v4 then please refer to this announcement page: POP Peeper v4.2 released.

Otherwise as an alternative, you could also try changing your Yahoo accounts to IMAP to see if this helps with your problem.

In any event, the best alternative would be to upgrade to the latest POP Peeper version 4 :wink: (also keep in mind while there are some options to make version 4 look similar to the interface you now have there will be changes to how POP Peeper will look using v4 compared to what you have now). In regards to this you might want to take a look at this page POP Peeper User Interface changes between v3 and v4 and then there is this page comparing POP Peeper: Email Notification where if you scroll down the page you will find a POP Peeper Comparison chart that you may find helpful.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
pepegot1

Post by pepegot1 »

Per your request and thanks for the promptness.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 3.8.1.0
Webmail: 3.8.0.73
SSL: 0.9.8.10
IMAP: 3.8.1.0
RSS: 4.0.0.0
SendMail: 3.8.1.0
Notification Voice: 4.0.0.0

--- Error ---
Yahoo(XXXXXXXX) [3: Yahoo] ['' (port: 0)] [SSL: 0]
Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.

Yahoo(XXXXXXXXX.com) [0: POP3] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (port: 995)] [SSL: 1]
Login Error ([AUTH] (#MBR1212) Incorrect username or password.)

What is odd is that if I exit yahoo mail and then reenter, it recognizes the password, but other software cannot.
Last edited by mjs on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal email information has been removed for security and privacy reasons
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you for the error information. As you might notice I once again removed the personal email information you posted, I should have reminded you to remove this information from the pasted Error data.

Okay looking over the information it is clear that you're running on very old versions for all aspects of POP Peeper which not only includes the POP Peeper application itself but your plugins (i.e. Webmail, SSL, IMAP etc.) as well, which can be problematic regarding both of the errors you're getting. For example, the 1st error is most likely related to the very old Webmail plugin you're using and as I've mentioned version 3 Webmail is no longer supported. To avoid having to use the Webmail plugin you have the option to switch to IMAP for example which will likely solve at least part of your problems.

In version 4 all the IMAP settings are automated so all that has to be done is change the "Server type" to IMAP and all other required settings are set for you automatically.

In version 3 these automated settings are not available. So if you still want to stay with version 3 and therefore try IMAP for these two accounts as suggested then to help out if you look in PP FAQ for setting Yahoo to IMAP you will see the full setup as posted below under Server Settings, SEE LINK HERE: CLICK ON Yahoo: IMAP / SMTP

After clicking on "Yahoo: IMAP / SMTP" you will find the following:

Note: Yahoo requires an SSL connection, and you must install the SSL plugin if it's not already installed

Incoming Mail Settings:
Login Name: Full email address
Server Type:
IMAP
Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
SSL
(TLS/SSL is required)
Port: 993 (if using TLS: 143)
Idle: optional

Send Mail Settings:
Reply Option:
SMTP
Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
SSL required

Port: 465
Server Requires Authentication: Enabled

Changing to the IMAP protocol might address your problems, most specifically the first listed error (that said, I can't really be sure because you have an older version of SSL which to my knowledge is also no longer supported in version 3). If issues persist however then I would suggest you consider upgrading to the current v4.

Btw, in regards to your 2nd error; for another forum discussion possibly related to your issue, CLICK HERE.

It's your choice of course, if you would prefer to stay with version 3 for now then you are welcome to try these possible solutions or you can always upgrade to version 4. :wink:

Keep us posted on how you are doing on this.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

One possibility is that Yahoo has enforced the stronger sign-in method (OAuth2). Yahoo has changed this setting for some users, but it seems to be in the minority right now. Use this URL to check:
https://login.yahoo.com/account/security
- if "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" is not enabled, that's the problem.

This setting should not affect WebMail, but would affect POP3. In fact, POP3 cannot be used if this setting is not enabled because OAuth2 is not available for POP3.

If this is the case, the recommendation is to upgrade to POP Peeper v4.2, change all your Yahoo accounts to use IMAP and enable OAuth2 for each one.

Alternatively, you could enable "allow apps that use less secure sign in" using the above URL.
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

FYI - After encountering issues with a new Gmail account and the OAuth2 issue over there, I now ran into errors saying try again later for all my Yahoo accounts. :x Logging into each account with a web browser I could see that Yahoo was forcing password changes and other validations. Even though I processed what was asked, I still ran into problems with all my PP accounts pointing to Yahoo. Sure enough, the last time I had issues with these accounts I had to move them to the "Yahoo" server type. Now I moved them back to IMAP and had to run the OAuth2 re-authorization for each. A lot of checking and rechecking, but that seems to have solved the problems this round. =D>
No sig here (i don't smoke hehe)