Solved - Download Entire IMAP Messages on Outlook.com

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Styx

Solved - Download Entire IMAP Messages on Outlook.com

Post by Styx »

Issue has been around for a long while however is getting critical for me now.

Running Pop Peeper Pro Plus Pack 4.2

Two Outlook.com email addy's setup for IMAP with Options - Mail retrieval - IMAP Entire Message.

However it really only downloads the headers and then retrieves the messages only when I try to
read them and that is SLOOOOOOW.

Anyway to retrieve them in advance on Outlook set as IMAP?
Last edited by Styx on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Download Entire IMAP Messages on Outlook.com

Post by Jeff »

Is it possible that you have overridden the setting for the account?

Edit the account
Select the "advanced" page *
refer to "retrieval option"

* - if you don't see the "Advanced" page, it's potential settings will still take effect. From the main menu, select Tools / Options / General and enable "Advanced Options", then go back to edit the account.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Another possibility is PP will only download the header if the message has been previously marked as read on the server before PP sees it for the first time. In that case:
PP main meu: Tools / Options
Message Retrieval page
WebMail/Imap: Don't retrieve body for messages marked as read on server (would need to be disabled)
Styx

Post by Styx »

In edit both accounts are set to Retrieve Entire Message and have been since I set them up - did double check.

You might have something about "Previously Read" issue. Even though PP is the only way I usually read these accounts
PP marks few messages in BOLD or as unread. So the problem is PP marks most as previously read and does not download
the entire message, Now why is it doing that?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Do you have multiple instances of POP Peeper checking the accounts?

If you do, make sure that you've set all instances of POP Peeper to sync the read/unread state. This option is only available since v4.1, but if you upgraded from a previous version, it's not enabled by default so you need to manually enable it:
PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker
bottom of the "Misc" page -- IMAP: sync read/unread state...

As the option implies, it's only available for IMAP. If one of your other instances of PP is using WebMail, it may be marking messages as read and should be set to use IMAP with the sync option.

Of course, all this is moot if you're only running one instance of PP. In which case, I'd say the only other options are that you have a Rule (either in PP or in your Hotmail account on the server) set to mark messages as read. Or somebody else is reading your email.

There is another option you can try, although I would consider this a case of last resort as it would be better to figure out what's causing your messages to be read:
PP main menu: Tools / Options
"Message Retrieval" page
DISABLE: "WebMail/IMAP; Use read status..."
(and I already mentioned the other one which would have a similar effect, disabling "don't retrieve body")
Styx

Post by Styx »

PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker
bottom of the "Misc" page -- IMAP: sync read/unread state...

This fixed even though the issue occurs if I have only one computer running. Mostly I use one and
the other is a backup.

Thanks!