POP PEPEPER eating almost 2 GB ram

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ZMEU.NET

POP PEPEPER eating almost 2 GB ram

Post by ZMEU.NET »

Very impressive lol, but my laptop is going very slow despite having 32 gb ram.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: POP PEPEPER eating almost 2 GB ram

Post by Jeff »

This is a known issue and beyond the amount of RAM it consumes, the more serious problem is that you get in danger of POP Peeper crashing (and possibly before PP fully loads, which causes even more problems to fix it). The recommendation is that you move old messages out of the inbox into another folder that PP doesn't monitor. Moving large messages (with attachments) will help.

If you right-click on the Accounts List, below the *last* account, you should see an option: "server info (all)" (if you don't see it, enable "Advanced Options" under main menu: Tools / Options; General). Refer to the "file size" value -- anything about 1GB (1,000,000 KB) is dangerous and I would recommend keeping it below 750MB (ie. aim for 500MB so that you have some leeway). So, after you move messages (either using PP or externally) to another folder, check the account so that PP removes the messages and then check the "server info (all)" to see what the value is at.

As I said, this is a known issue and it has been my plan to address this in POP Peeper v5.0. However, more recently, I have been considering making a special release just for this, ie. maybe v4.4.