Slow access to Gmail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Moshe

Slow access to Gmail

Post by Moshe »

Hello,

During the last few days PP access to Gmail has been significantly slower than usual.

- Logging in/out may take some 50 seconds even if no messages are retrieved (normally it takes 1-3 seconds).
- It does NOT happen on every mail-check. 5 out of 10 are slow.
- It does NOT depend on the mail-checks frequency.

I usually have one Gmail account in PP. I set it before QAuth2 was introduced in PP, and used Gmail's 2-Step Verification to allow PP access the account.
In the past few hours I've tried that Gmail account with PP's QAuth2 and it does not seem to help.
I've set another Gmail account in PP (PP's QAuth2, also in the past few hours) and, so far, haven't encountered any slowness with it.

Win 7.
PP Pro 4.3 beta 4.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate your help.

Best regards.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Slow access to Gmail

Post by Jeff »

Different GMail accounts use different servers and your one account is on a slow server (overloaded or maintenance or...). That's about the only explanation I can offer. I would assume that it was a temporary issue and hopefully it's back to normal by now?

If it's still having the problem, feel free to email me and we could log it and at least see what's causing the problem (e.g. actually logging in or during message access, as these are generally using two different servers).
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hello,

Discussed via Email. - Probably a server issue.
Thank you Jeff.

Best regards.
petspy

Post by petspy »

just chiming in to say gmail access seemed fine till this morning sept 7th now i get;
Error: Try again later. (-10)
after several hours. i double checked my module versions and they are current:
pop peeper 4.3, webmail 4.2.2 ssl 1.0.2.6 imap 4.2 sendmail 4.2 pptweaker 4.2
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks very much for sharing that info, petspy. :)

The issue is most likely with Gmail's servers, and should clear on subsequent mail checks by PP. If it persists for an extended period without resolving, do post back and let us know.
Out of curiosity, are all your Gmail accounts being affected, or only certain ones?

[SIDENOTE]: I myself am not receiving any error messages with my own Gmail POP3 or IMAP accounts, nor do I note any recent service disruptions for Gmail......yet anyway. :?:

Best regards,
Global Moderator
ata

Post by ata »

I'm having the same problem with gmail and the error code with 2 of 3 gmail accounts.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Much obliged for the report on your end, ata.

By the way, how are you accessing the two affected Gmail accounts in PP?
(i.e. Server type = Gmail, POP3, or IMAP).

At this time, the issue still appears to be sporadic, as a result of something on Gmail's end. Perhaps their servers are just getting a bit overloaded or some type of maintenance is taking place.

Cheers!
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Although not specified, the original issue is with IMAP. The -10 error implies the WebMail protocol, so it is a different issue.

I have tested 6 different GMail accounts for the -10 error and no problems. I suggest that you log into the affected accounts -- making sure you do a full login; e.g. log out and sign back in -- as it may just be a request page asking you to confirm something or another that needs to be acknowledged.

Further, I recommend using IMAP (with OAuth2) instead of WebMail if it's available to you. Just edit the account and change the "server type" to IMAP. Optionally, enable IDLE (recommended) and press the "OAuth2" button to use that authentication method.
petspy

Post by petspy »

in responce to your question, i have 1 yahoo 1 aol, which are both working fine.
i have 7 gmail which are all Error: Try again later. (-10) using imap.gmail.com
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thank you for the follow-up info, petspy! :)

Since Jeff is aware of, and responded to this issue, I'll defer to his expertise.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

petspy -- the 'imap.gmail.com' is probably misleading; if the "server type" is set to "gmail" (which I'm sure it is, based on your error), then 'imap.gmail.com' isn't used. Please follow the previously-mentioned advice about signing out and signing back in to see if that helps. If it does not, send an email (support at esumsoft dot com) so we can figure out what's going on.
tatoo_ar

Post by tatoo_ar »

Same problem here. All my four Gmail accounts show "Error: Try again later. (-10)". All of them use GMail type account. Switching to POP3 solves the problem. I also logged in GMail via web and no confirmation page is shown.
petspy

Post by petspy »

sorry, i'm not an email guru, so please eli5

what good is poppeeper at monitoring 7 gmail accounts
if i now have to login to each gmail account separately?

isn't that what you expect us to do using imap/oauth2

the whole reason i use poppeeper is so i don't have to
manually login to 7 different accounts every hour,
and i specifically keep logged out of all 7 accounts
so google and other "social media" hooked sights that
use your google login to track you - can't do it as well.

btw, i don't know what's going on with tatoo,
but pop3 does NOT work for me at all.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

petspy -- there were 2 separate suggestions:
1) Try doing a full login with your webbrowser. This may initiate something within your account that allows PP to continue.

If that didn't work:
2) Enable IMAP. Enabling OAuth2 is optional (recommended) and a one-time thing -- when you do this, you'll log into the account and grant POP Peeper access to your email. You're basically telling Gmail that POP Peeper is allowed to access your email account.

POP3 is probably disabled in your account (I believe Gmail disables it by default). However, IMAP is recommended over POP3 anyway.
the_importer

Post by the_importer »

If it speeds things up with whatever plugin that needs fixing, I've been having the same issue (Error: Try again later. (-10)) on my 3 computers with my 3 Gmail accounts. I haven't touched anything in my Pop Peeper or Gmail settings, it just stopped working Monday during the evening.
petspy

Post by petspy »

jeff, thanks for the reassurance that imap/oauth2 was a one time deal;

POP Peeper would like to: View and manage your mail
By clicking Allow, you allow this app and Google to use your information in accordance with their respective terms
of service and privacy policies. You can change this and other Account Permissions at any time. (Deny/Allow)

it actually works in it's own sandbox, as i was logged into one account in my browser while poppeeper
was doing it's own thing in 6 other gmail accounts during my imap/oauth2 account updating efforts.
i hope this is the last time for a while we have to play wakamole with gmails way of doing things :wink:
ata

Post by ata »

As of this morning, 9/9, I'm still getting Error: Try again later (-10) Error. I can log in through the web with no problem. My setting for sever type is Gmail.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi ata,

Thanks for updating us on your situation!

Since you are continuing to experience problems with your Gmail accounts, please send an email to Jeff at support at esumsoft dot com. Be sure to mention your posts in this topic here and provide him with the same description of the issue you're having.

Jeff will likely need to obtain some logs from you in order to help ascertain exactly what is happening on your end. This can only be done via email support.

Thank you and best regards,
Global Moderator
the_importer

Post by the_importer »

Just to let you guys know, I've been trying a few email notification programs in the past hour. Most of them are outdated for Gmails current configuration, but one of them wasn't, it's called Spiffy. Now is it a replacement for PopPeeper, heck no, you can't read e-mails, it only alerts you, but it does alert you with up to 5 Gmail accounts, so it's a workaround I guess.
mjs

Post by mjs »

ata wrote:As of this morning, 9/9, I'm still getting Error: Try again later (-10) Error. I can log in through the web with no problem. My setting for sever type is Gmail.
Since you are using the "Gmail" Server type (that is "webmail) then you could also try doing what Jeff suggested 3 posts above yours in this same topic that I've linked HERE for you. :wink: This would most likely apply to others posting the problems they are having with Gmail. 8)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers