POP Peeper v4.2 web mail 4.2.4.0 Dont work for many yahoo addrresses. It was working before.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjbad2

POP Peeper v4.2 web mail 4.2.4.0 Dont work for many yahoo addrresses. It was working before.

Post by mjbad2 »

Lately POP Peeper has been disappointing me. I have many yahoo/Hotmail addresses. And they used to work fine. But every time I get upgrade it stops working for some. Now Many Yahoo addresses are not working.
Something is not right with POP Peeper for last 10-12 months.
Just fed up. Today after upgrade it is same face. Good thing is setup Thunderbird and working fine for Hotmail and Yahoo.
mjs

Re: POP Peeper v4.2 web mail 4.2.4.0 Dont work for many yahoo addrresses. It was working before.

Post by mjs »

For some Yahoo accounts people are getting a "Change Password" Prompt from Yahoo recently.

This problem depends upon the "Server Type" you are using by the way.

Please post what you have your "Server Type" set at for your Yahoo accounts (IMAP, POP3, Yahoo)? (Edit the account to get this information in the "General" tab)

If you are using "Yahoo" for your "Server Type" then go to the web using your browser, log-in to your Yahoo account to see if you are one of the people getting this prompt. If so then change your password and make sure you do the same in POP Peeper which should then fix your problem.

Also if you are getting errors in POP Peeper it is advisable to provide the Error Overview information which can be helpful to determine your problem:
Click on the exclamation
PP ERROR OVERVIEW BUTTON png.png
PP ERROR OVERVIEW BUTTON png.png (13.35 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
to get a window that has the following toward the left-lower part of the window
PP ERROR OVERVIEW COPY TO PASTE png.png
PP ERROR OVERVIEW COPY TO PASTE png.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
Click on the "Copy" button so you can right-click in our reply in this topic and click "Paste" from context menu to place Error information in topic.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: POP Peeper v4.2 web mail 4.2.4.0 Dont work for many yahoo addrresses. It was working before.

Post by Jeff »

Assuming you're using "Yahoo" server type -- try logging into your account (sign out and back in if you're logged in automatically). Yahoo is requesting everyone to change your password, and you must change it in order to bypass this screen (don't "skip" it).

There are no known outstanding issues with any webmail accounts (sending via Hotmail notwithstanding, it's no longer supported for WebMail). If you have had issues for 10-12 months then you should have reported it 10-12 months ago instead of letting it fester. Not everyone's accounts are the same and most issues are quickly resolved after they can be investigated. Also, if you're using Thunderbird, then it's likely accessing it via IMAP, which is the recommended protocol to use with POP Peeper, as well. It's simple to change -- just edit the account and change the "server type."
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

Cant log into a yahoo.ca account using webmail setting in PP. Login on browser still working ok.
Been a couple of days like this. Forced update to 4.2.4.0 (Gmail fix) but still not working on Yahoo.
Error: Try again later. (-10)

Thanks.

Getting error 0 if I try to send mail on this account.
mjs

Post by mjs »

jetsfan wrote:Cant log into a yahoo.ca account using webmail setting in PP. Login on browser still working ok.
Been a couple of days like this. Forced update to 4.2.4.0 (Gmail fix) but still not working on Yahoo.
Error: Try again later. (-10)

Thanks.

Getting error 0 if I try to send mail on this account.
If you were already logged into Yahoo on your browser, try logging out and then back-in to see if you get a message from Yahoo i.e. change passwords.

If you are not getting a message from Yahoo when logging-in on the web, I can contribute something interesting that occurred in my case. A had three Yahoo accounts using Webmail setting in PP ("Yahoo") that were requiring password changes which I did change. After changing the passwords for each account for whatever reason one of the three accounts continued to get errors which I think were "Try again later" errors if I recall correctly. I could not find anything wrong with the account, I had not changed any protocols and it was setup in PP as it should be for Webmail but it continued to persistently get the error for two days (using Webmail version 4.2.4.0, btw).

So what I finally did was change the account to IMAP (which worked okay of course) and then changed it back to Webmail ("Yahoo") and it has worked just fine from then on for the past 2 days using Webmail. So in my case switching from the Webmail that persistently failed to IMAP and back to Webmail solved the Webmail problem I was having. I have no idea why Webmail didn't work in the first place since as far as I could tell it should have worked, but this fixed the problem for me.

Of course you could just change the account to IMAP and leave it at that setting if you like. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

Hi.
No messages on browser login. Changed PP to imap and authorized PP imap access on yahoo webmail account. Works ok in imap from PP.
Tried switching PP back to webmail and got the same errors. Leaving it set on imap for now.
Thanks.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Actually IMAP is in general considered the preferred protocol to use anyway, link: Any benefit to using webmail over imap? and while this is generally true there can sometimes be exceptions to the rule. :wink:

As to your persistent "webmail" problem, considering that you're webmail plugin is up to date (ver 4.2.4.0), it appears you may have a unique issue that Jeff might want to look into later on. :?
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

Yep. No problem using imap. Just wanted to let you know that there might be a yahoo/webmail problem lurking out there.
Thanks for your help.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

More than likely, POP Peeper is being blocked by the "change password" screen. I had another user with the same problem (I think he said he had already performed the password change) and upon logging what was going on, there was a slightly different screen blocking PP that apparently wasn't happening in webbrowser. This is rather unusual since, for all intents and purposes, PP acts as a webbrowser itself.

Incidentally, that other user's email address was also not a yahoo.com domain, but .co.nz. I happen to have a yahoo.ca account myself that I haven't logged into for a while, so.....

Initial PP check: PP gets a -10 error
Login via webbrowser: no password change required and no other unusual screens (using firefox in private window)
subsequent PP check: PP logs in successfully

Checking the logs, the initial block in PP is the same page that was blocking the other user:
"Don't get locked out" and it wants a mobile phone number

Thinking that the "don't get locked out" page is somewhat random, I tried forcing PP to re-login about 10 times but it never got blocked again. I'll try to remember to check it again later.

In the meantime, I can't explain why the same technique doesn't work for others. Imap is a better alternative, but -- for anyone else reading this -- if you rely on webmail, my only other suggestion would be to try using IE with InPrivate browsing (under the Tools menu) and log into the Yahoo account. If that still doesn't work email me.
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

Thanks Jeff. I'll switch both my pcs to imap. Webmail login thru PP still not working as of a few minutes ago.
Yahoo complains about lower security when you go to imap but not a lot of choice in the matter.
Regards
mjs

Post by mjs »

jetsfan wrote: Yahoo complains about lower security...
Have you tried enabling "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" by going to "Account Info" > "Account Security" in your Yahoo web account settings to avoid "low security" complaints from Yahoo?
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

Yes but it looks like you have to do it for each device that uses it because it was already set to let my phone access via imap.
No prob though.
Think I had the same issue with Gmail as well.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Actually, the proper method to avoid Yahoo's whinging is to enable OAuth2 -- that's the "more secure" method that they're alluding to. Just edit your account and press the "OAuth2" button and follow the instructions. It's available for IMAP with Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail.
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

That's what I did when I switched to imap on second pc. Must admit I didnt know what I was doing but it worked!

Nice to know that security isn't compromised.

Thanks
akm

Post by akm »

Jeff
Thanks for the help/info !
Same problem here after updated Webmail to 4.2.4.0 and Yahoo check mail got Error:Try again later(-11).
Imap and OAuth2 fixed it.
Jeff wrote:Actually, the proper method to avoid Yahoo's whinging is to enable OAuth2 -- that's the "more secure" method that they're alluding to. Just edit your account and press the "OAuth2" button and follow the instructions. It's available for IMAP with Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail.
Thanks again for your help !
akm (PPv4.5.3,W10,FFox,Office2003,Mbam,Privatefirewall,Avast)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, the -11 is new as of this morning and was recently fixed. IMAP really is a cure-all, though.