Can't login - outlook / hotmail sending out new terms of service

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jjgui1

Can't login - outlook / hotmail sending out new terms of service

Post by jjgui1 »

Login in issues pop up recently? #-o

Similar to what Yahoo is doing with forcing interaction on the web side ( a password change and asking for a mobile phone number - can still ignore if you wish on the phone question), Microsoft Hotmail / Outlook is requiring you to see an update in terms of service. You don't have to actually read the new terms (they have a couple summary options that makes it easy), you DO have to see this page and acknowledge. The terms are effective immediately (9/15/2016). Neither of my accounts would login (getting the -10 error and -11 error) until I went to the webmail side and took care of this notice. Things are happy after that @ v4.2.2.0 (haven't moved to 4.2.4.0 yet) for webmail release.

Hope this helps, gang! 8)
No sig here (i don't smoke hehe)
spc3rd

Re: Can't login - outlook / hotmail sending out new terms of service

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks for passing along that info, jjgui1.

Cheers!
Global Moderator
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I have also experienced this problem for the last few days with various Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts.
I have had to open the affected account in a browser and acknowledge the terms of service.

But, that still doesn't fix Pop Peeper for me. I have to close Pop Peeper, then re-open it for it to work correctly again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Protocol -- it shouldn't be necessary to have to close PP. But, also, it should be a one-time thing for each account (well, until Hotmail wants you to acknowledge something else, which seems to be relatively frequently); are you saying that it keeps happening?
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Yes, it has happened more than once for the same account, Jeff.
I had to exit POP Peeper, then re-open it again yesterday.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I'm still getting this problem. If I exit POP Peeper, then restart it, the problem is fixed until the next time it happens.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.2.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.2.0
SSL: 1.0.2.6
IMAP: 4.2.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.2.0.0
RSS: 4.2.0.0
SendMail: 4.2.0.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 3.6.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.2.0.0

--- Error ---
Hotmail (dypsis) [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Error (Send)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Protocol -- you're using IMAP which is not affected by the original post -- the new TOS screen doesn't affect IMAP.

Unfortunately, Hotmail's imap server is known to be unreliable. However, there is a way to mitigate the problem.
1) Make sure that the Hotmail account(s) are set to use IDLE (edit the account, IDLE/Push is on the bottom-right)
2) Installing POP Peeper v4.3 (currently in beta) should significantly help.
(both steps are necessary)

Most (but not all) of the Hotmail errors occur during the login process, so by enabling IDLE, you reduce the number of required logins that occur.
But... the IMAP specification says that an IDLE connection must be maintained for a minimum of 30 minutes with no activity before the server can assume the connection has been lost. POP Peeper keeps the connection alive every 15 minutes to be safe. Hotmail gives it about 2 minutes. :roll: So, v4.3 keeps the connection alive more frequently (special case specifically for Hotmail).
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Would I be better off changing over to Hotmail/Outlook server type, Jeff? I have other accounts using that. Not sure why I am using IMAP for one of my accounts.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If I may, actually IMAP is in general considered the preferred protocol to use, link: Any benefit to using webmail over imap? and while this is generally true there can sometimes be exceptions to the rule. :wink: When all is said in done the consensus is that in most cases IMAP generally provides the better results overall.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Hi lakrsrool.

I thought IMAP was the best option these days.
That is probably why I switched to it. I haven't had any problems with it until recently. Maybe it just doesn't work as well for POP Peeper.
But, I have selected IDLE/Push now. Let's see how that works. :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

All 10 of my Outlook/Hotmail accounts are using the IMAP protocol and I have virtually no issues with any of them over time.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers