2 Issues

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
idocsteve

2 Issues

Post by idocsteve »

Hi.

2 issues I've had these past few months running Pop Peeper v 4.2 pro with Windows 10 pro

1- When I reply to an email the "attachment" button is dimmed so I must compose a new message if I want to send an attachment.

2- Only message headers are downloaded, so if I click on an attachment without first downloading the full message, the attachment is not readable and oftentimes Pop Peeper will "stop responding" and crash. And yes, I have "entire message" selected on the "retrieval" option.

Server type is Gmail.

Edited to add: I think I solved problem 1 by editing the accounts "reply to" and changing it to SMTP as per a FAQ I found on this site.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: 2 Issues

Post by Jeff »

idocsteve wrote:1- When I reply to an email the "attachment" button is dimmed so I must compose a new message if I want to send an attachment.
Attachments cannot be included when using WebMail; only when sending with SMTP. Some WebMail accounts can use IMAP/SMTP, but others cannot. For example, Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail can all -- and in most cases, *should* -- use IMAP with SMTP. For these types of accounts, edit the account and change the "server type" to IMAP and POP Peeper will adjust the other settings as necessary. If you have accounts besides those 3, let us know what types of accounts.

I was just re-reading your message and I see you've already switched to SMTP. But if you didn't also switch to IMAP, you might as well go with that, too; Imap is superior to Webmail.

idocsteve wrote:- Only message headers are downloaded
This will happen if the message has already been marked as read on the server. There's a setting:
main menu: Tools / Options; Message Retrieval: webmail/imap: don't retrieve body for messages marked as read...

This is the first I've heard of gmail attachments crashing PP, but if you switch to IMAP, it may fix that, as well. If not, be sure to let us know.
idocsteve

Post by idocsteve »

Ok that setting change now allows me to view the entire message, thanks.

However

I still must double click to view as HTML and also double click to view images (which are blocked) even though I have the default options set to view as HTML and to view images.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Try enabling "Process Attachments" in "Options" > "View messages" and make sure "Block external data images and data" is disabled. If you have PP Pro and are using "Smart HTML Viewing" (in "options" > "View messages") then click on the "Legit" button for domains you want to display images.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
idocsteve

Post by idocsteve »

As of this morning I am still getting "double click here to view the entire message" followed by "click to show images" despite the changes I made yesterday regardless of whether the sender is marked "junk" or "legit".

I have the option for Smart HTML viewing enabled, block external images is not checked.

Please advise.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Here is what you've stated you have, please review each option to confirm:

Edit account --
- server type = Imap
- (Do you just have one account?)
- Do you see the "advanced" page? If so, select it and make sure that the "retrieval option" is set to "default"

Main menu: Tools / Options --
- Message Retrieval: "default retrieval option" -- if all your accounts are using IMAP, then only the "Imap" setting is relevant = Entire
- Message Retrieval: "Webmail/Imap: use read status..." = enabled
- Message Retrieval: "Webmail/Imap: don't retrieve body..." = disabled

After re-reading your message, there's a couple of possible misinterpretations:

"double click here to view the entire message"
There's a separate banner for "retrieve entire" and "view html" -- I suspect you mean the latter. In which case, the likely reason is smart html and not the above settings (which are geared toward retrieving the entire message).

"the sender is marked "junk" or "legit"."
A sender can be whitelisted, but this does not necessarily mean that their next message will be evaluated as legit. With smart HTML enabled, there are 2 ways that PP will display the message in HTML:
1) *You* have marked the message as Legit. This is represented by a green thumbs up icon in the message list's "junk evaluation" column.
2) The *system* has evaluated the message as Legit AND the sender is in your whitelist/addressbook. The first half is represented by a green *button* in the message list's "junk evaluation" column. The second half is currently represented by a smiley face in the "user flag" column, although, this will change in v4.3 (the smiley face will only be applied to senders in your *address book*, not whitelist).

If that doesn't explain it well enough, I'll mock up some screenshots to help clarify.
idocsteve

Post by idocsteve »

Server type is GMAIL.

Not IMAP.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Then the "webmail" settings in this case are what is relevant.

Perhaps this page might help regarding "junk" mail: http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-peeper/pro/, check out the video on that page and continue reading on regarding "AntiJunk" below the video.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
idocsteve

Post by idocsteve »

The issue appears to be resolved. I think I still get an occasional "header only" message but for most of the emails it's all good.

Thanks