From field can't handle commas

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bdot

From field can't handle commas

Post by bdot »

Hello,

This year I have noticed sporadic cases where all I see is a single quote and a last name in the From field. In other cases I see the whole name and e-mail address.
So for example, let's say "Billy Bob" <bb@fake_email_id.com> sent me a message.
I would see: "Billy Bob" <bb@fake_email_id.com> in the From field and can reply back.
But let's say "Bob, Billy" <bb@fake_email_id.com> sent me a message.
I would see: "Bob in the From field and I would not be able to reply back.

I can't reply to "Bob because that is not an e-mail. Why is Pop Peeper freaking out when it comes to the comma? Looking back at old e-mails, it worked last year but not this year.

Thanks.
mjs

Re: From field can't handle commas

Post by mjs »

What Email Providers are giving you these problems? (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc)?

What is the "Server type" set to (IMAP, POP3 or "Webmail" [either "Yahoo", "Hotmail", "Gmail" etc]) for your respective email accounts that are having these problems?

If the accounts having the problems are "Yahoo" accounts and these accounts are using the "Webmail" protocol, that is the "Server type" is set to "Yahoo" then what is the version of your Webmail plugin ("Help" > "About POP Peeper...", will provide this)?

With respect to Yahoo accounts using the "Webmail" protocol that may be having these kinds of issues you should minimally be using the Webmail v4.2.1 plugin. (Note; Webmail plugin History - v4.2.1 (Jun 27, 2016) - Yahoo: Updates for both basic and full interfaces (header information)).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

We do need to know the service that you're receiving the problematic emails on -- I ran a quick test using the standard format (ie. pop3/imap) and there doesn't seem to be a problem.
bdot

Post by bdot »

It is Yahoo.
Server type of "Yahoo".
Webmail version: 4.2.5.0

I have 3 Yahoo accounts but only one (my main one) gets e-mails from people who sometimes come across with the quote last name.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok. The problem originates on Yahoo's end. I sent a test message to 2 of my Yahoo accounts (one that uses the basic interface, the other uses the full interface). I included a comma-infused name in the "from" and the two "to" names. This is what the message looks like when I view the message with my webbrowser (ie. http://mail.yahoo.com):
PP_Yahoo_Commas.png
PP_Yahoo_Commas.png (5.9 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
The correct names should be: "support, esumsoft" and "basic, yahoo" and "full, yahoo" but, as you can see, Yahoo parses them incorrectly and since POP Peeper gets this same bad information...

So, I have a fix. This is a rather specific fix and I don't claim that it will work in every case, but it should work in the most common cases. This will also fix a problem with the 'to' address which was originally faulty anyway (for basic interface), but one caveat is that the commas will be removed (ftr, the comma WILL be in the 'from' address).

You can download the fix here, I'm doing this as a manual update so that you can test and confirm it:

Instructions:
1) Download
2) Exit POP Peeper
3) Open the download file and extract/copy webmail.dll from the zip file to where you've installed POP Peeper, e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
4) Restart POP Peeper
5) To confirm that you're using the fix, go to Help / About; find "webmail" in the list and the "current" version should be v4.2.5.9001
6) This will not affect existing messages without your intervention, so to test with a message that you already have: view the message, select File / Re-download message

It should also be noted that these issues do NOT affect the "Full" interface, just the basic interface. Further, ordinarily I would recommend using IMAP/SMTP as that would also fix the problem and is a superior protocol, but I've gone to the trouble of fixing it, so I'd appreciate it if you could test it and make sure that everything works (and that other messages aren't affected), so just use it for a while and if you feel like switching to IMAP later -- let me know if you've had any problems with the webmail update.
bdot

Post by bdot »

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. The one address I know that this affects every time is my work e-mail address and I am off work today so I can't send myself an e-mail from there.

As a side note, I had never played with setting up Yahoo without the webmail option.
Is there a quick setup guide for setting up IMAP/SMTP for Yahoo?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Of course Jeff would like you to test the Webmail "fix" he has for you for awhile to make sure it all works before changing protocols if you would. :wink:

But after testing this "fix", there is nothing to making the switch to use IMAP with SMTP. For these types of accounts, all you have to do is edit the account and change the "Server type" to IMAP and POP Peeper will adjust all of the other settings as necessary. Here is a link to more details on these specific Yahoo settings: http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... =YahooImap, if you are interested after testing the Webmail "fix" Jeff has for you.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bdot

Post by bdot »

I did a test e-mail today and it looks like things are working. I'll monitor things and see if I get any in the future that don't show up correctly but I'm sure Jeff's fix will work since his other fix's in the past have worked. :)