Sent Mail Viewer has stopped working

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jdbliss

Sent Mail Viewer has stopped working

Post by jdbliss »

When I launch the sent mail viewer in View > Mailbox > Sent or by using F11, the majority of the time I get a "POP Peeper Sent Mail Viewer has stopped working" message, with the option to Close Program. It then pops up a "Windows is checking for a solution" dialog box, which it doesn't seem to complete. This goes away and another "POP Peeper Sent Mail Viewer has stopped working" pops up. Clicking Close Program closes the viewer leaving me with my inbox. Seems fully functional.
Problem is somewhat intermittent, though I will get the error more often than not, and if I don't get it, I can close the viewer and re-open and get the error. When I do not get the error, the viewer seems to work fine.

There are 3838 sent emails in all my accounts (7) in POP Peeper.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Sent Mail Viewer has stopped working

Post by Jeff »

The fact that it's intermittent is concerning, but try this:
- Run SMV (it needs to open without crashing)
- From the menu, select Tools / Update Index
- Select "REBUILD index"

If the problem is with an index file, that should fix it.

For comparison, I have over 18K messages for "all accounts" in SMV, so you're certainly not hitting any walls as far as that's concerned.
jdbliss

Post by jdbliss »

After the SMV opened 5 times without throwing the error I started to worry I was crazy, but then it started erroring. I had to shut down PP and relaunch in order to get SMV to open without error again. I did notice that it was erroring while Indexing one of the accounts, and the number of sent items was lower than the 3838 I had stated. Reindexing now. Thanks for the confirmation on the qty of emails.

**After reindexing I got the same error first try.

Tried reindexing again, this time shutting down PP after reindexing. Worked twice then failed on the 3rd attempt.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You don't need to post it, but do you know which account was causing the problem? And, do you know if it is that one account, specifically, that is causing the problem? One way to check this (and I wonder if part of this procedure is why you were getting seemingly inconsistent results):
- In POP Peeper, "view" a specific account by double-clicking it or selecting that account from the "View" dropdown above the message list
- Now open SMV (e.g. press F11)
--> whichever account you're viewing in POP Peeper will be set as the initial account in PP
- Select a different account

Keep selecting a different account until one crashes. When it crashes, note the account and restart SMV. Try to test each of your accounts multiple times to see if there is a pattern, most notably:
- If an account crashes once, does it crash each time you try to access it?
- How many different accounts caused a crash?

Assuming that we can confirm that there's a single account causing the problem, it will make it much easier to troubleshoot exactly what the problem is.
jdbliss

Post by jdbliss »

It only seems to crash when "All Accounts" is selected. I tried each account 5-10 times before moving to the next. The All Accounts crashes within 1-3 tries.

When SMV crashes, I noticed that several of the emails had blank entries in the "To" column, where they did not when SMV successfully opened, in both individual and "All Accounts" views. Unfortunately, each time it crashes, it is not the same emails with the blank To field. Its like its not populating from a database correctly.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

hm, that seems unusual to me. That is, it may not imply that there's a particular message like I've been assuming...

You mentioned this before:
"I did notice that it was erroring while Indexing one of the accounts"

1) Can you get SMV to crash, say, 5 times and record what the status is each time? I'm interested in what the action is (e.g. "loading index") and the account.

2) Can you take and send a screenshot of one of the times it crashes? Don't post it here as it will likely contain some personal information. Feel free to still mask any information you don't want me seeing, but -- for example -- if certain areas are blank, try to preserve that kind of information. (ie. don't simply put a big, black rectangle over the entire message list). Email it to me (support at esumsoft dot com).

3) Can you check what version of SMV you have? Open SMV, menu: Help / About (current is v4.2)

4) I think your method of testing was a little different than I had anticipated, and I'd like to confirm exactly what you did, in case it makes a difference. You said: "I tried each account 5-10 times before moving to the next." I take it that you mean that you went back to POP Peeper to relaunch SMV each time? Did you *exit* smv each time, or did you just switch back to POP Peeper to re-launch smv?

5) Could you try launching smv for a specific account and then, on the top-left of smv, click on a different account and just keep clicking/selecting a different account -- avoiding *all accounts* -- until you're sure that the individual accounts don't have an issue. Once you're comfortable that it's not going to crash, click on *all accounts* and if it doesn't crash, click a different account, then *all accounts*, different account, *all accounts*, etc. until it either crashes or you're comfortable that it's not going to crash.

6) Did anything significant happen when this crashing started? ie. Had it previously been working fine or had you even previously been using it?
jdbliss

Post by jdbliss »

1. Always crashes during <account name> Loading Index. This is with "All Accounts" loading. Always shows "Messages: 3010". Successful count is "Messages: 3842".
2. Screenshot being sent
3. SMV version is 4.2
4. Steps for testing:
a. Launch SMV
b. Observe results
c. Close SMV
d. If less than 5 times, repeat, else change account and repeat.

5. No crashes! Switched randomly among specific accounts, then added "All Accounts" into the mix. No crashes.

6. Nothing specific that I remember occurred. I do not use SMV all that often. But have launched it at least 3-4 times since purchase without trouble. It is only in the last several days that I noticed the issue. There have been several Windows updates, of course.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For anybody who comes across this thread: this issue has been resolved and the fix will be included in the v4.3 release.