outlook email client suddenly appears when composing

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

outlook email client suddenly appears when composing

Post by bbqbrisket »

I used to just Compose and Send mail from PP but today, somehow, it is now attached to Outlook.
When I want to Compose mail it goes right to Outlook. I don't want to use Outlook as an email client.
How can I put it back the way it was?
thanks

Norm
bbqbrisket

Re: outlook email client suddenly appears when composing

Post by bbqbrisket »

I was able to find how to change email client to PP but now the whole program just freezes and I can't get into any other program on my PC.
I had to do a hard restart to get back in. I have uninstalled PP and reinstalled and the same the same thing happens. The program is not unusable and I can't have it on my PC until I find the problem with it.
thanks
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Norm,

Jeff & other members of the Esumsoft Team should be stopping by this afternoon and can provide more info on the issue you're having. In the interim, if you open PP > {HELP] > [CONTENTS], scroll down the list of topics shown on the left side of the window that opens, and click on "Email client", then click the [DISPLAY] button at the bottom, information will appear in the right side of the window.

Scroll about two-thirds down the page, and you will see information as shown in the screenshot below, which deals with registering PP as your email client, along with some issues that can occur & how to resolve them.
Using PP as your email client
Using PP as your email client
Please post back if you are still experiencing problems after trying the instructions given in the Help File article.

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

bbqbrisket -- what exactly did you change?

If you changed what Pete referenced (registering PP as the Windows email client) -- that's not quite what you were looking for to fix the original problem (although, it certainly shouldn't cause the side-effects you mentioned). What you would need to do is edit the account, select the "Send Mail" page, and change the option to "SMTP" or "webmail". The former will require additional settings, but may already be present if it was working before.

As for the new problem with freezing everything -- again, what exactly did you change that caused that and at what point does the freeze happen?
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Jeff,
Actually, I knowingly, did nothing to cause this erratic behavior of the program and my computer. Maybe something else in another area of the PC or program caused the issue. Moving forward, I once again uninstalled the program and re-installed it. It now has no email client associated with it when I try to "compose" and therefore will not allow me to create an email. I see it is automatically set at PP as the email client in the settings but it does not respond to it.
I will look over info on email client set up in help in the meantime.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Here's a follow up with the error message I get with PP set as default email client.
Attachments
error mail client.JPG
default pic.JPG
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

so, here's the last in a new twist.
I once again uninstalled ver 4.3 and installed an older version that I kept 3.8.
the PP email client worked perfectly on this but I had no address book and even though it retained all of my accounts (6 hotmail and 1 gmail) it did not populate the received mail.
I then upgraded to 4.3 and it did not have the PP client email in it nor would it even bring up any default email client..;..ie, I couldn't "compose".
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

So, as to the original problem --
it sounds like you either don't have the SendMail plugin installed or it's not enabled. To see which is the case:
- From the main menu, select Tools / Plugins
- Look for "SendMail" in the list
- Make sure that its "Version" matches your version of POP Peeper (ie. v4.3.0.0)
-> If "SendMail" is either not listed or is old, then you need to re-install POP Peeper and make sure that, on the "Choose Components" page during installation, that "SendMail" is enabled
- Make sure that it is enabled (the checkbox should be ticked)

When I had asked what you changed, I was actually referring to this comment:
bbqbrisket wrote:I was able to find how to change email client to PP but now the whole program just freezes
The screenshots help, now I understand that problem.

The email client that you're setting there is for an external email client (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.). Setting it to "POP Peeper" won't have any beneficial effect. That being said, it made me nervous when I realized that's what you meant and that that's what caused it to freeze so I tried it myself -- I did not have the same behavior that you described, but I'm still curious to know what action you performed that caused PP to freeze at that point (ie. did you press the "email client" button, did you try to compose a new message, etc)?

I do recommend removing "=POP Peeper" as your email client -- just set that value to blank or select a different email client. Since you're getting the "email client is empty" error, I presume that you don't have another email client installed. This is not unusual; and in that case, you should just leave the "email client" field blank.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

One last thing, as I just re-read your last post -- I think that you're referring to the "email client" as the window that opens when you compose email. Those two things are not necessarily the same. As I mentioned in my previous post, the "email client" should be thought of as an external email client (Thunderbird, Outlook) which POP Peeper can launch in certain situations. That email client *can* be used to compose your email, but I don't think that's what you're asking about. I think that you want to use POP Peeper for your composition, for which the previous instructions should fit the bill.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

I removed PP as the email client and left it blank. From that point I was unable to open up a Compose page.
But I have solved the problem. I restored the system of the PCthat was running 4.3 and now all works well.
What happened before, I will never know as only PP was affected. I can only assume that something got into the system and only PP got corrupted to the point that it could not be reinstalled.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Morning bbqbrisket,

Glad to hear everything is back to normal again! :)
Jeff should be along later on to provide further follow-up. In the interim, I have one question for you (which may also be of interest to other forum members):

- Did you perform the restore using the System Restore function or via a system image (e.g. using a program like Macrium Reflect, Paragon, etc)?

Thanks for posting back & best regards,
Global Moderator