Any Way to Add Hebrew Character Support?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Rakdan

Any Way to Add Hebrew Character Support?

Post by Rakdan »

I generally send my emails via POP Peeper, except when I want to include Hebrew Text. It comes out as all question marks.
The same happens when I receive Hebrew text.
I think that sometimes I can see Hebrew letters in the body, but definitely never in the Subject field, and definitely not in the body either when I compose the email.
Is there anything that I can do to add Hebrew language support to my POP Peeper?

Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Any Way to Add Hebrew Character Support?

Post by Jeff »

The only thing you can do is to make sure that Windows is set to display Hebrew for non-unicode programs:
1) In the Windows Start menu, type "region and language" and open that entry from the Control Panel
2) Click the "Administrative" tab
3) In the Language for non-unicode programs, make sure it's set to Hebrew

That *should* be able to display Hebrew for subjects/senders, but you still will not be able to send. For sending, it's recommend you have another email client (e.g. Thunderbird) installed, and then you can:
1) View the message in PP
2) From the menu, select File / open message in client
3) That will open the file in Thunderbird and you can then reply to the message

For POP Peeper, the solution will be to finally join the 21st century and support unicode... It needs to be done, but it's a daunting task that makes me cringe when I think about it. One of these days, though...
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

Thanks.
That worked, though I do not understand it.
You can only set one language in this option, as compared to the Keyboards and Languages tab where you can set multiple languages.
I have Russian, Hebrew, and English all enabled.
I don't really use the Russian, but what if I wanted to allow emails in Russian to also work?
It seems that I can have either Russian or Hebrew, but not both, and that makes no sense to me.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, I don't know the reason why, but changing the language for non-unicode requires you to log-out of Windows so it can't be changed by a simple switch.