Aeris Calendar v3

Aeris Calendar: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Aeris Calendar v3

Post by Jeff »

This is just a prelude to the formal announcement coming soon... Screenshots and the new feature list will be forthcoming.

If you have any suggestions for Aeris Calendar v3, now is a good time!

http://www.esumsoft.com/aeris/
leopoldus

Re: Aeris Calendar v3

Post by leopoldus »

Hi Jeff!

Are there any estimations about the possible time of Aeris Calendar v3.0 release?

Is there any hope, that the new version will support international options (week beginning from Monday, 24 hours format, local holidays instead of US own)?
Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Aeris v3 is almost ready for beta testing. That's all I will say because I don't like giving ETA's, but... yeah, almost ready.

Week beginning on Monday: absolutely. You can start the week on Friday if you want to.

24-hour format: Well, this is supported in v2, so is there something specific you're referring to?

Holidays: v2 has localized holidays for U.S., UK, Canada, Australia and some common holidays; and you can, of course, add your own. v3 supports the iCalendar (aka webcal, aka .ics) format and I have transferred the aforementioned countries' holidays to that format, or you can use holidays provided by most any online calendar. That's not limited to just holidays; you can also view your personal calendar if you use an online calendar.
leopoldus

Post by leopoldus »

Jeff wrote:Aeris v3 is almost ready for beta testing. That's all I will say because I don't like giving ETA's, but... yeah, almost ready.
Week beginning on Monday: absolutely. You can start the week on Friday if you want to.

It's fine!
Holidays: v2 has localized holidays for U.S., UK, Canada, Australia and some common holidays; and you can, of course, add your own. v3 supports the iCalendar (aka webcal, aka .ics) format and I have transferred the aforementioned countries' holidays to that format, or you can use holidays provided by most any online calendar. That's not limited to just holidays; you can also view your personal calendar if you use an online calendar.
That is much more than I dared to hope for =D>
24-hour format: Well, this is supported in v2, so is there something specific you're referring to?
No, nothing special. However I'm afraid not being able to find this option even now in spite of your confirmation, that this option should be somewhere. I have just reviewed once again all menu entries and settings dialog tab one by one and even looked into Help file. Nothing! Where have you managed to hide it? :?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There's not a specific option for it: Aeris automatically determines what to use based on your system settings. If you open the "region and language" option in the Windows Control Panel, there are 2 relevant settings (short time and long time) that should both be set to similar values, e.g. "H:mm" or "HH:mm" -- the uppercase 'H' means 24-hour as opposed to lowercase 'h' meaning 12-hour.

With that set, there are 3 locations (that I could find) that this will affect:
digital clock
"Reminders" page
Weather -> Hourly -- since this is only available in the U.S., I assume this doesn't affect you. And, technically: I just fixed this today for v3, so it will display 12h format in v2 regardless of the system setting.

If there's somewhere else that I missed, let me know.
leopoldus

Post by leopoldus »

Jeff wrote:There's not a specific option for it: Aeris automatically determines what to use based on your system settings. If you open the "region and language" option in the Windows Control Panel, there are 2 relevant settings (short time and long time) that should both be set to similar values, e.g. "H:mm" or "HH:mm" -- the uppercase 'H' means 24-hour as opposed to lowercase 'h' meaning 12-hour.
Yes, I do know of Regional settings, it is usually a thing I start from when I get a new machine/system. So all my time-related applications, starting from MS Excel and finishing with Autohotkey scripts, work in 24H format,

However Aeris Calendar ignores OS regional settings and shows time in 12H format in the both digital clock and "Reminders" dialog.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Below is a screenshot showing Aeris v2.1 with a 24-hour clock -- so it *should* work. That was in Win7; I also tested in Win10 (VM).

If you exit and restart Aeris, does it use the correct format? The digital clock reads the 12/24 format when initialized, so once it's set, it's stuck even if the format changes e.g. in the event that Aeris is initialized before your system format, which I wouldn't expect to be a possibility but let's just rule that out by testing the exit/restart.
Aeris_v21_24hour.png
leopoldus

Post by leopoldus »

Jeff wrote:Below is a screenshot showing Aeris v2.1 with a 24-hour clock -- so it *should* work. That was in Win7; I also tested in Win10 (VM)
Yes, I do understand and have no any doubts, that it should work this way under my Windows 7 x64 too. However it had not worked for me this way many, many years.
If you exit and restart Aeris, does it use the correct format? The digital clock reads the 12/24 format when initialized, so once it's set, it's stuck even if the format changes e.g. in the event that Aeris is initialized before your system format, which I wouldn't expect to be a possibility but let's just rule that out by testing the exit/restart.
As surprising as it is, this trick works, although there is no any reason why it could do it :shock: While Aeris was running I've started Windows Regional settings applet to make a screenshot for you. I have tried some countries from drop-down menus, but have not changed there anything (I mean I have not pressed buttons [Apply] or [OK]. Then I closed the applet and restarted Aeris Calendar. And now its left bar digital clock it shows the time in 24H format!

Well, let's see how it will work after Windows restart (I can not check it right now).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well, in another example of "I don't remember doing *that*" -- I've discovered that Aeris v3 will update the digital clock immediately when the system's time format changes. So, hopefully that should fix the problem. Of course, there's not as much reason to use the digital clock in v3 because the analog looks SO much better than it did in v2 :)

If you PM or email me (support at esumsoft dot com) your email address, I'll put you on the beta list so that you can double-check that the time-format fix works for you.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote:... Of course, there's not as much reason to use the digital clock in v3 because the analog looks SO much better than it did in v2 :)
Yep, absolutely agree - the v3 analog clock is a definite improvement (and I like it better than digital).

NEW v3 ANALOG CLOCK:
Version 3 analog clock
Version 3 analog clock
OLD v2 ANALOG CLOCK:
Version 2 analog clock
Version 2 analog clock
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
jacobcarl

Post by jacobcarl »

Its awesome aeris calender . I am using it.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, jacobcarl!

Thank you for your complimentary comment regarding the Aeris Calendar. :)

As a new member of the Forums, please take a moment to review the following: Information for new users and forum members.

For additional information about the Aeris Calendar and other Esumsoft products which may be of interest to you, just click on the "esumsoft.com" link shown at the top left area of the Board Index page.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Having a problem with "extended weather" (see screen-shot) using Aeris Calendar v3 on WIN10 w/ Edge browser installed. It doesn't seem to matter what browser is default (my case Pale Moon), tried Edge as default as well.

The same issue also occurs with Aeris Calendar version 2.1 on my WIN 7, same situation as above except have IE11.
Get this message on WIN10, WIN7 (using Edge, IE respectively)
Get this message on WIN10, WIN7 (using Edge, IE respectively)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
leopoldus

Post by leopoldus »

lakrsrool wrote:Having a problem with "extended weather" (see screen-shot) using Aeris Calendar v3 on WIN10
Where have you got Aeris Calendar v3? :shock: At the downloading page http://www.esumsoft.com/download/?prod=aeriscalendar still only v 2.1 is available.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

He has an early-access v3. It's coming. Really.

And just for another teaser, here's a picture of another clock:
Aeris_v3_NewClock02.png
Aeris_v3_NewClock02.png (22.48 KiB) Viewed 28447 times
leopoldus

Post by leopoldus »

Jeff wrote:He has an early-access v3. It's coming. Really.
OK, I see. BTW some months ago you have promised me to send a Calendad v3 beta to test, and I've left you my address for this purpose. But I have never got any beta :(
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, I know... :oops: You are on my list of "first guinea pigs." Well, "second" after the moderators whom I sent a version to for some quick feedback.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Been getting weather alerts lately (red icon on desktop - blue is cool :wink:) but when I check for alert there isn't any (see screen-shot):
Getting Warning alert but no alert is displayed.png
Red Alert
Red Alert
red alert.png (70.93 KiB) Viewed 27395 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, I've seen that, too. Aeris gets the "severe weather alert" (SWA) from a different source (NWS), but links to AccuWeather if you click on it, not knowing if AccuWeather and NWS are sync'd. Since Accuweather's feed doesn't provide SWA information, it's just one of those things...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

btw, I'm not sure if you're saying you don't like the red? You can change the color under Tools / Options / Severe Weather (the new default color in v3 is 128/0/0; this is darker than the old default, which it looks like you may still be using). Various shades of blue are used by some of the weather-themes, so blue might not be noticeable.

Also, have you seen the new weather icons in v3? Much better looking, imo. Tools / Options / Weather icons: Option 06.