scroll wheel opens attachment

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

scroll wheel opens attachment

Post by gordon »

I searched but did not find this bug.
I have a letter with several attachments.
1) I opened the first attachment [pdf], and got a warning it could have a virus.
2) I clicked open and viewed the attachment and closed it.
3) I then went back to the letter and used the scroll wheel to view the letter.
The scroll wheel caused the virus warning popup, apparently trying to open that attachment again.

Desired response:
At step 3, the scroll wheel should scroll the letter.
gordon

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.9003
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.9003
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0
spc3rd

Re: scroll wheel opens attachment

Post by spc3rd »

Hi gordon,

The issue you've mentioned is something I myself have experienced for quite a while. (Whether it's an actual 'bug' or not is something Jeff can better address). The simplest way I'm aware of to re-enable scrolling within the email message (after closing any open attachment file), is to just left-click your mouse cursor once - anywhere in the message body.

This prevents the "virus alert box" from re-appearing, and you should have no trouble scrolling through the message. Of course, if you open another attachment, you'll need to repeat the procedure.
[I only mention this on the remote, off-chance you might not already be aware of it].

Jeff and other members of the Esumsoft Team should be dropping-by later to review your topic and add their own respective comments.

[SIDENOTE]: You might want to update your SSL plugin to the latest version HERE.

Cheers!
Global Moderator
gordon

Post by gordon »

Pete,
Thanks for the pointer to SSL plugin.
I had thought I had everything up to date.
When I do a "check version", I see nothing to update.

Also the SSL plugin directions say:
(typically, C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\)
Mine was located at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
gordon
PP.jpg
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi again gordon,

My own PP program did not indicate the SSL plugin needed updating either. (I just happened to become aware of it when I was checking the plugins page I referred you to - and noticed the version there was different than the one I had installed at the time).

** My own PP folder, etc is also located in the Program Files (x86), as yours are.

Jeff and other Esumsoft Team members may be able to provide more info in this regard than I.

Best regards, :mrgreen:
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Inclusion of additional information.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

The latest version of the SSL plugin is v1.0.2.10 according to the current plugin list. I am not getting the latest version either in "About" > "Help", but rather I get a blank for latest SSL plugin version (as illustrated above in the screen-shot submitted by gordon).

If you do not have the latest you can download it here: http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... ugins/#SSL.

I'm not convinced the SSL version difference will impact the scrolling issue after opening an attachment however (I generally never open email attachments within the email message therefore am not aware of this problem).

As to clicking an email attachment to open and view, I would recommend for any attachment that you are not sure of (i.e. there may be a risk) that you save the file and run a virus scan on it before opening the file to view it.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Follow-up regarding topic issue:
gordon wrote:I searched but did not find this bug.
I have a letter with several attachments.
1) I opened the first attachment [pdf], and got a warning it could have a virus.
2) I clicked open and viewed the attachment and closed it.
3) I then went back to the letter and used the scroll wheel to view the letter.
The scroll wheel caused the virus warning popup, apparently trying to open that attachment again.

Desired response:
At step 3, the scroll wheel should scroll the letter
gordon
Testing this what does appear to be a "bug" (i.e. compatibility w/ mouse "scroll wheel"). I get the problem with the following prompt using the "scroll wheel"
attachment prompt.png
which occurs whether I "Open", "Save" or "Cancel". I've found that along with clicking anywhere in message body as Pete mentioned to fix the "scroll wheel" problem by also just using the message scroll bar will get the "scroll wheel" to then work properly again (after the attachment prompt is closed focus is not returned to the message as I see it, which btw is accomplished by clicking in the message or using the message scroll bar, note that just clicking on the attachment bar and not even opening the dialogue box causes the "scroll wheel" problem hence the message focus is lost when just using the attachment bar).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Don't you hate when a developer says:
"A 'bug' is unexpected behavior; this is expected behavior (since you've set focus to the attachment list) and therefore not a bug."
..... So I won't say that.

I will say that it's "undesirable behavior" and that's why I've just fixed <cough> .... changed it so that any mouse-wheel action will affect the message body instead of whatever has the focus. This not only includes the attachment list, but also -- for example -- if you've set focus on the "to" field.

On a side-note: the SSL plugin has never had the "latest" version displayed because it's generally not important. That has, however, recently become more of an issue because many people (mostly still on PPv3) have had issues with some servers that no longer support older versions of the SSL plugin (ie. v0.9.x).

What I would like to do is auto-update the SSL plugin (like webmail currently is) to avoid having the user to manually update the plugin. There is a grander scheme in mind for this, however, which is why it hasn't been done yet...