Some Emails Are Incomplete

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Rakdan

Some Emails Are Incomplete

Post by Rakdan »

I have had two issues involving incomplete emails lately.

1. I received an email which did not display properly when opened. I thought that it was a problem on the sender's side. A huge part of the middle of the email was blank. But, I logged into my Yahoo account, and the email was fine there. This particular email is one that I receive weekly, and I had the same problem last week. This particular email has a link to where it is displayed as a web page, and that link works fine.

2. I have had emails that do not come out properly when I forward or reply. For instance, recently I went to reply to an email, but when I hit the reply button, it did not include the recent conversation. It just showed some prior part of the conversation. In other words, lets say Bob sends me an email, I reply, he replies, and I want to reply again. It might show his original comment to me, and not my reply or his reply. I first noticed this about two months ago, and have since noticed it several times.

I am using POP Peeper 4.3.0.0 on a WIndows 7 64-bit laptop.
Attachments
POP Peeper Version.jpg
mjs

Re: Some Emails Are Incomplete

Post by mjs »

What "Server type" are you using for this Yahoo account? (Yahoo, IMAP, POP3) To check this edit the account (right-click on the account in the left pane of the Pop Peeper main page) click on "Edit", then make sure your on the "General" tab and post the "Server type" setting you see on this page.

Is this only occurring on just one of your Yahoo accounts?

Have you tried exiting/restarting POP Peeper since this problem started?

Please post a screen-shot of the following page: "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" tab ("View Messages" page example below)
For help doing this: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post.
View Messages.png
Thanks
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I am using POP3 on various accounts for which this is occurring, and I do not want to change from POP3.
Attachments
POP Peeper View Message Settings.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

lakrsrool wrote: Is this only occurring on just one of your Yahoo accounts?

Have you tried exiting/restarting POP Peeper since this problem started?
Also, have you rebooted your computer since this problem?

If you have not either restarted PP and/or rebooted, please try doing so to see if this helps.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I have restated several times. I just restarted now, removed the message from the list, and checked my mail again.
It still is retrieved defectively.

I tried using another profile that I have which uses IMAP, and it retrieved the message properly.
But, then I had a disaster getting back to my POP3 profile.
I had to re-enter passwords, and it was still not working for some time.
I had a message that a different one of my accounts was password protected.
I eventually figured out how to fix that, but I have no idea why it happened.
I am afraid to play around with other profiles now that I have this one working properly.
mjs

Post by mjs »

To clarify where we are at this point to which perhaps other members of the Esumsoft Team will provide additional feedback later today.

You have stated the following regarding this issue:

1) You have found that using IMAP does not have this problem, but you prefer to use POP3.

2) You are "using POP3 on various accounts for which this is occurring" (initially referencing specifically Yahoo).

Additional question(s):

If all the "various accounts" using POP3 involve ONLY Yahoo accounts does this issue occur for ALL of your Yahoo accounts?

Otherwise, if the accounts using POP3 that have this problem are NOT just Yahoo accounts then what accounts other than Yahoo are involved?

Thanks very much for the additional help.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

They are all Yahoo accounts. I do not know if it happens with all the accounts. Some I do not use much, I do not use the reply or forward function that much, and it does not happen all the time. As a matter of fact, the incomplete email thing is very rare.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Under options / message retrieval -- what is the retrieval option for POP3? If it's "preview" that likely explains the problem with the incomplete messages. When you view the message, you should get a banner suggesting that the message is incomplete.

Otherwise, do you have a sample of the message? I don't recommend posting it on the forum as it will have sensitive information like your email address, so send it as an attachment to (support at esumsoft dot com), with a quick reminder of the issue and link to this forum post. To save: view the message in POP Peeper and then select File / Save message as.

As for replying: when you reply, POP Peeper uses the "plain text" portion of the email, which may differ from the "html" (or "rich") version of the message. I think I've seen what you're talking about before, and there may be a specific email provider that does this (I want to say Hotmail, but it could be Yahoo or...). If you have one of those messages, or the next time you do, open the message again and switch to "plain text" (under the 'view' menu) and see if that format matches what you're seeing when you reply.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've already replied to Rakdan via email, but to tie up loose ends here:

Conclusion: after researching this issue, the problem has been found on Yahoo's end. It's specific to POP3 and to explain in technical terminology:
Yahoo does not byte-stuff the termination octet at the beginning of lines as they're required to do so.
(RFC1939 -- it's a fantastic read)

What this means is that POP Peeper (and other POP3 clients) may drop periods. This can have dramatic effects on how the message is displayed; for example, if the period in a domain name is missing.

Recommendation: use IMAP