An Idea for a PP Viewing Method

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Chuck7

An Idea for a PP Viewing Method

Post by Chuck7 »

Hello Everyone!

I Just Started Using this Method, so I’m not yet sure if it has any drawback. So Far, it’s been working Great, so I thought it may be helpful to somebody else :) . . .

I like to keep my POP Peeper Inbox CLEARED, And Yet keep IMPORTANT Recent Emails Instantly Viewable in my Inbox –– so I am TESTING the Following Method:

• The Option “Hide Read Messages” is ticked (Ctrl-H);
• I keep an email with the subject “.” in my Inbox;
• When there is ALSO an IMPORTANT READ Email(s), I mark the “.” email UNread (INS) so it, Alone, Displays;
• When NO Important Emails Exist, the “.” email is marked Read (so mailbox is totally blank);
• To Display/Undisplay Important Read Email, just press CTRL-H.

Chuck
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: An Idea for a PP Viewing Method

Post by Jeff »

Hey Chuck, I *think* I get what you're doing here, and I like hearing these kinds of ideas from people because it let's me know how people are using PP and what I can do to move it in the right direction.

My problem is that I want to be organized, but I find it very difficult. I used to keep a very clean inbox, but somewhere along the way I started keeping all my messages listed and rarely move messages around (my inboxes are automatically "managed" -- the system moves any messages beyond 2000 into an archive folder). More problematic is that I have tons of unread messages -- mostly newsletters that I think, "I may read that later" and then never do. The problem with this system I have is that I also keep messages that I need to reply to in the unread state, to remind me, but that's not a good reminder when I have so many unread messages.

What I would *like* to do, and I think I mentioned this semi-recently somewhere -- is have an "important" indicator for messages. This would essentially be an extension of the "user flags." So you mark a message as "important" (and this would be easily accessible, e.g. press 'i' on the keyboard) and a couple of things happen:
1) The message gets a special user flag
2) There would be a new tab available on the message list (e.g. inbox, outbox, draft, important) and any messages marked as important show in the "important" list. Thus making them very easy to access.

Let me know what you think of that.
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

I know this is an old post, but did you make any progress with this?
Jeff wrote:Hey Chuck, I *think* I get what you're doing here, and I like hearing these kinds of ideas from people because it let's me know how people are using PP and what I can do to move it in the right direction.

My problem is that I want to be organized, but I find it very difficult. I used to keep a very clean inbox, but somewhere along the way I started keeping all my messages listed and rarely move messages around (my inboxes are automatically "managed" -- the system moves any messages beyond 2000 into an archive folder). More problematic is that I have tons of unread messages -- mostly newsletters that I think, "I may read that later" and then never do. The problem with this system I have is that I also keep messages that I need to reply to in the unread state, to remind me, but that's not a good reminder when I have so many unread messages.

What I would *like* to do, and I think I mentioned this semi-recently somewhere -- is have an "important" indicator for messages. This would essentially be an extension of the "user flags." So you mark a message as "important" (and this would be easily accessible, e.g. press 'i' on the keyboard) and a couple of things happen:
1) The message gets a special user flag
2) There would be a new tab available on the message list (e.g. inbox, outbox, draft, important) and any messages marked as important show in the "important" list. Thus making them very easy to access.

Let me know what you think of that.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

No development has started on this particular feature, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not interesting... I like the idea of this personally, but it should be something that has wide appeal for it to be considered. So I take it that you would be interested in it? Do you have any of your own suggestions for it?