How to setup spam for my setup?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
techmanc

How to setup spam for my setup?

Post by techmanc »

I can post some SS if needed but my main problem is my antijunk settings seem to be wanting to delete any emails flagged as spam and they happens a lot when I get new emails from a company like what just happened with a chase and steam emails.

I check my emails every 5 mins so its easy for some email I want to get wrongly flagged and deleted.

I thought I had setup my email to not delete anything marked as spam but that setting not working for me atm.

Let me know if you any detailed info you need to answer and TIA! for any help
mjs

Re: How to setup spam for my setup?

Post by mjs »

Have you checked your settings in PP main interface at: "Tools" > "AntiJunk" > "Settings..." for any "Delete" settings, more precisely under "Actions" tab in that interface page for specifically "Junk" settings (as a side note for me personally while "Junk" gets marked, via "Main interface...", I do not delete "Junk" in "Actions" but rather delete myself manually when needed).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'll re-iterate what lakrsrool said, but take a slightly different method to get there since you won't be able to access the individual filters using that method:

From the main menu, select Tools / AntiJunk -> Main interface
- From the AntiJunk menu, select Tools / Define actions
-> For each section, make sure that "Delete" is not checkmarked
-> Disable "delete if junk and score is at least"
- press OK

Now you'll need to go through each filter and make sure that "delete" is not enabled. For the following set, you only need to click on the filter and check if "delete" is enabled on the bottom-right (if "delete" isn't even shown, you don't need to worry about it):
- White list
- Black list
- URI blacklist
- DNS blacklist

For "Rules" you'll need to select each individual rule. It's not necessary to edit each rule, just select each one and then look on the bottom to see if "delete" is enabled. Only rules that use "perform actions" need to be checked; "classify as junk/legit" can be ignored.

Just FYI: POP Peeper's AntiJunk does not delete any messages by default for this very reason -- it's easy to make a rule or even bias the training so that messages are falsely identified as Junk. In the case of training, it's just as important to mark the legit messages as it is to mark the junk messages. You can see how many messages are trained under the 'Bayesian' page of the AntiJunk interface.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

All seems good atm I found a rule I thought I removed awhile back was gone and it wasnt
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

after I had messed around with all the settings and I deleted my problem rule no more email is being deleted which is great but I cant seem to get the setting back to where I would use the junk view to see my junk.

all I have working now is once I mark email as junk I still have use the delete junk button to delete them.

I see that the icon on in my system tray show that I have x amount of junk flagged and changes to the red icon.
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote:after I had messed around with all the settings and I deleted my problem rule no more email is being deleted which is great but I cant seem to get the setting back to where I would use the junk view to see my junk.
In PP main interface go to "Messages" > "Junk View" for message view options that include viewing "junk" messages.
techmanc wrote: all I have working now is once I mark email as junk I still have use the delete junk button to delete them.
From main PP interface go to "Tools" > "AntiJunk" > "Settings", from "Basic" window you have the option to set "When I mark as Junk:" to "Delete".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In addition to your first question, also look under the main 'Messages' menu to see if you disabled "display filters" -- it must be enabled.

And Messages / Junk View (or the dropdown menu on the "Junk view" button) should be set to "show legit and unknown" and then select "show junk". Now: toggling the button should switch you back&forth between those two views.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

The last 2 messages got me on track to help me with my settings.

Now I been researching why I been getting this spam in the fist place which is attached to my favorite email address and still refused to give it to the spammers and have to redo all the pita situation of using new primary email address.

I been looking at the last spam I got and I just started seeing that 2 of the last spam I got have .pw on the end of there address and have a question about that.

Would it be safe to setup a delete email using the .pw in a rule or will that cause the same problem as my old rule deleting email needed email.

Now that I know to look for that .pw the possible problem I will see if the new spam has the same .pw on the end
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'll post my 2-cents while waiting for other members of the the Esumsoft Team to post additional comments.

In all likelihood the email address (local-part) for these SPAM messages are changing. The ".pv" extension is presumably the senders country of origin (in this case Palau). Take a look at PP "Help" > "Contents" > Search = "Filter", click "List Topics" button, select (double-click) "Tutorial". You will see the problems that can occur when "Blacklisting", click specifically on "Rules" (using "Click here" link). Note if you use "Wild Cards" to delete all message adresses with the ".pv" extension (from Servers in Palau) you will of course be deleting all messages from that origin. If the email address is always the same then marking as "Junk" solves the problem, but if the message addresses change (seemingly randomly) then it is more problematic as far as using the "Black List" option.

Again, I'm sure other Esumsoft Team members will have more to say on the topic. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You can either setup a rule or just add *@*.pw to the blacklist. The blacklist doesn't allow you to delete specific addresses this way, but you could set the "weight" to something high (e.g. 100) and then under Tools / Define actions, set the "delete if junk and score is at least" to 90 or something (this will basically delete the message regardless of what anything else determines; if you want to be more cautious, set it to 100 which means that some messages from *.pw may not be deleted if something else [like Bayesian] thought it was legitimate).

On the other hand, if you add it as a rule, what you can do is -- instead of out-right deleting it -- set a "userflag" and that way you can more easily tell which messages are getting tagged by the rule. Once you determine that there are no false positives, then you can disable the userflag and use "delete" instead.

If you create a rule, make sure you do adequate testing with the test tools provided. That is, don't just test that
hits, but also that something like
does *not* hit

Specifically, the rule that I would use is:
+FromAddress | RegEx | \.pw$
(the dollar sign in regex means "end of line"; and you need to escape ['\'] the period because period in regex means "any character" and we want the literal period)
I only did some quick testing with that, you may want to use an actual email to test that it hits on something that you're expecting.

(I removed the screenshot because it was wrong... and don't have time to re-post at the moment).
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I like my new method for dealing with spam as I get 5-10 a day from my main email address I dont want to change just because it being targeted.

I setup to toggle between junk and non junk which keeps most spam in its own view an normal email in the other view.

I use setting to delete junk and any spam that wasn't filtered I mark it junk and then it deleted next email check.

Any email that not spam I mark as legitimate for future references.

All email I use the Antijunk feature Report Spam and send copies to to both the spam reporting site.

Once new spam marked for deletion I do another mail check to delete the email. :D
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you!