How can I prevent the appearance of the message which appears each time I access my Yahoo inbox on my browser?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Matthew Wai

How can I prevent the appearance of the message which appears each time I access my Yahoo inbox on my browser?

Post by Matthew Wai »

How can I prevent the appearance of the above message, which appears each time I access my Yahoo inbox on my browser?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: How can I prevent the appearance of the message which appears each time I access my Yahoo inbox on my browser?

Post by Jeff »

You'll need to provide more context because I don't know what you're referring to. Further, how is this related to POP Peeper, since you say it happens in your browser?
mjs

Re: How can I prevent the appearance of the message which appears each time I access my Yahoo inbox on my browser?

Post by mjs »

Yahoo has this nag prompt that has been very annoying which is probably what this is about (for me image doesn't work in post):
Yahoo less secure apps nag
Yahoo less secure apps nag
Yahoo less secure access nag.png (9.02 KiB) Viewed 7642 times
checking into this the "less secure access" is considered a "temporary" setting by Yahoo (which in itself is annoying) which means that every time the user performs a log-in this message will inevitably popup. For weeks I had been selecting the "No, I understand the risks" to avoid problems with PP getting messages but because it is a "temporary" setting the prompt would always continue to display on log-in so it became so annoying to me that I finally just switched from IMAP to Webmail (Yahoo) and selected "Turn off access". The reason to switch to Webmail is because using IMAP I find that I was getting the "Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] #MBR1212 Incorrect username or password.)" error in PP if the Yahoo "Turn off access" is selected for the "less secure access" setting. On the other hand PP has no problem using the "turn off access" for this setting using Webmail as far as getting messages in PP without errors.

I've also found that Yahoo gives this prompt when logging out if the user has accessed "Account Security" where these settings reside:
What you get logging-off Yahoo if "Account Security" has been accessed which makes no sense
What you get logging-off Yahoo if "Account Security" has been accessed which makes no sense
So what does this have to do with logging-off, closing the browser tab and going back to log-in will have you still logged-in at which time you can then logg-off and not get this incorrect response.

Also Yahoo is the only email client I know of that actually places ads directly in the inbox interface (which is ridiculous) and have done so for a very long-time now which I manage to block using uBlock. Also Yahoo is constantly asking to verify information i.e.:
Verify email and there are other verifications that are always be requested from Yahoo all the time
Verify email and there are other verifications that are always be requested from Yahoo all the time
verify email.png (10.73 KiB) Viewed 7642 times
I guess you can tell I'm really fed-up with Yahoo email and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

There may be better ways to avoid this constant "less secure access" nag when logging-in to Yahoo on the web, but this is what I've found works for me. For Yahoo accounts that I never log-in to on the web I leave IMAP since I will never see the nag in that case. Of course if the user remains logged in by selecting the "stay signed in" option when logging-in then the "less secure access" nag is not a problem either.

Bottom line, by using Webmail then not using the "less secure access" is not a problem for PP getting messages (like it is using IMAP) and as a result avoids the "temporary" nag every time when logging-in to Yahoo on the web.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Still not off my "Yahoo is evil" soap-box, check this out, we got this prompt today logging on the web, can you believe it!?!:
Actually offering bribes to avoid ads
Actually offering bribes to avoid ads
Yahoo bribe crap.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
which I would call extortion for the purpose of cajoling people to use their search engine. Notice there is not any "not interested" prompt, either "get it" or you'll apparently be getting another prompt at some point using the "Maybe later" option, which I've noticed Yahoo also does with security prompts as far as Yahoo's either do it now or later options in those cases as well. I'm not interested in their search engine, especially when they use these kinds of tactics. Oh and how do they know I don't use their search engine, hmmm, so they know what I'm doing all the time. [-X Maybe I'm wrong to be so harsh on Yahoo, but the way they force users to use cell phones of which perhaps some people might not even have (won't allow our land-line number for verification or sending passwords like Hotmail does) and will continually prompt with security updates all the time and actually places ads in the interface inbox and now in the knowledge that they are full aware that their ads are annoying offer to remove ads in the Yahoo interface for people using Yahoo search may be considered creative by some but from my perspective becomes all very annoying and on top of all that Yahoo ends up with incorrect prompts when logging-out that apparently by using their "Account Security" page it confuses their code. I started with Hotmail until they started getting like Yahoo a few years back but now I'm back to preferring Hotmail over Yahoo again (things always seem to go in cycles, so I'm inclined to keep accounts for both clients).

Sorry for going on with my off-topic rambling.... #-o
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

What about disabling "allow less secure apps" setting and use OAuth2 in PP? :-?

Matthew -- we can't see your image, which is why I was confused.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Good point Jeff, I overlooked mentioning this approach which I should have mentioned so of course you're correct to bring this up. But the reason I've personally been inclined to not go this route is because I've had multiple occurrences with issues receiving messages in the PP inbox using OAuth2 in the past. We had discussed how for some reason messages would not appear in PP's inbox some time in the past and how I ended up going with Webmail which fixed the problem at the time. I sense had gone back to OAuth2 again and it did work for some time but the same issue returned once again. I may be wrong to assume this, but it has appeared to me that using OAuth2 has been sporadically problematic, but then maybe that's just me. This is not to suggest that OAuth2 is not a valid option that should be considered as you have suggested, but for whatever reason, my personal experience has been that I will occasionally have issues getting messages with this method so to avoid the possibility of missing an important message have taken this approach. Maybe OAuth2 will not as of now have the same issues as before so from that perspective a preferable option to take after all. :idea: That said, I should add that I most likely do have some IMAP accounts that are using OAuth2 which have not been a problem at all as well, so perhaps it's just something unique to my environment or the specific email account. If I'm incorrect to suggest the approach posted please feel free to modify or redact whatever should be changed. :wink:
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Matthew -- we can't see your image, which is why I was confused.
The image doesn't work in PP and for some reason brings up some kind of odd Google page when used in the browser address bar.... (which is I'm sure why it doesn't work in PP).
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

lakrsrool wrote: I finally just switched from IMAP to Webmail (Yahoo) and selected "Turn off access".
Switching to the Yahoo server and turning off less secure access are probably the only solution.
lakrsrool wrote:Also Yahoo is the only email client I know of that actually places ads directly in the inbox interface (which is ridiculous) and have done so for a very long-time now which I manage to block using uBlock.
I use Adblock Plus to block them.
Jeff wrote:Matthew -- we can't see your image, which is why I was confused.
Click here to see the image.

I have another problem: this topic was automatically subscribed when I posted it, but I have received no notifications of the replies. My registered email address on this forum is correct.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Same issue on my end with forum notifications of new topics and/or replies not being received, EXCEPT via the forum RSS feed. I've contacted Jeff about this, as well as, another forum issue.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Matthew Wai wrote:
lakrsrool wrote: I finally just switched from IMAP to Webmail (Yahoo) and selected "Turn off access".
Switching to the Yahoo server and turning off less secure access are probably the only solution.
Actually to be accurate I was remiss to have not mentioned the preferred alternative of using OAuth2 just as Jeff had pointed out. This admittedly would be the preferential method to address this issue and I would say would be highly likely to not have given you any problems similar to my personal situations in the past.

Just curious, with this in mind, since it's generally better to use IMAP, had you tried the option of continuing with IMAP and using OAuth2?
Matthew Wai wrote:I have another problem: this topic was automatically subscribed when I posted it, but I have received no notifications of the replies. My registered email address on this forum is correct.
Not sure about your problem here, as long as you have this set:
subscribed.png
subscribed.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 7586 times
you should be okay as far as I'm aware. Keep in mind that the Board will only send ONE notification of a reply for topics subscribed to, that is until you log-in to the PP Forums again.

I see Pete has replied to the second topic while I was typing reply and apparently there is a problem with this function. #-o
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The problem with email notifications should be solved. Fortunately, I already knew what the problem was and -- strangely coincidentally -- is related to something being added in PPv4.4.

Matthew - This is what I see in your image, whether via inline or using the link:
Image1.png
Image1.png (13.5 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Much obliged for the forum email notification fix, Jeff! :D

Everything is back to normal on my end.
Global Moderator
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

lakrsrool wrote:Just curious, with this in mind, since it's generally better to use IMAP, had you tried the option of continuing with IMAP and using OAuth2?
Actually, I never used OAuth2 until an hour ago, and it is now working fine even without the 'less secure access'.
lakrsrool wrote:Still not off my "Yahoo is evil" soap-box, check this out, we got this prompt today logging on the web, can you believe it!?!
I just signed out and signed back in but got no prompt on my Chrome.
spc3rd wrote:Much obliged for the forum email notification fix, Jeff! :D

Everything is back to normal on my end.
On mine too.
Jeff wrote:Matthew - This is what I see in your image, whether via inline or using the link:
Image1.png
I just found that my image cannot be viewed without signing in with my Google account.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Interestingly I just got an Authorization problem message presumably related to POP Peeper access from Yahoo for one of our accounts (after using the Webmail protocol for a very long time) that is ironically relevant to this topic:
Account not authorized for PP message.png
so I changed back to IMAP using OAuth2 getting this message from Yahoo:
Authorizing PP.png
which with the more recent POP Peeper builds will probably fix the "less secure apps" access issue for me once and for all by using OAuth2 as Jeff had recommended in the first place. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've changed it.