XOAUTH2 Error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

XOAUTH2 Error

Post by bbqbrisket »

I am constantly getting this error no matter how many times I change from POP3 to IMAP, or Hotmail/Outlook and then back again to any of the others.
It is happening on about 3 to 4 of my 7 hotmail accounts. Interesting that it is not on all of them.
Attachments
pperror.JPG
mjs

Re: XOAUTH2 Error

Post by mjs »

I would first reboot your computer and then considering that these are apparently MSN Email (Hotmail/Outlook/Live etc) accounts, I would try using POP3 on one of these problem accounts, make sure that the "Send Mail" settings look like this:
Send Option.png
Send Option.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
and then test the account to see if the problem is solved.

Alternatively if the problem persists you could try using IMAP with one of these problem accounts and click on the "OAuth2" button and if you get the steps to enable "OAuth2" to authorize POP Peeper follow the steps to do so and test account. On the other hand if you get:
OAuth2 already enabled.png
click "YES" to delete the credentials and then click on the "OAuth2" button again to re-authorize by following the requested steps and then test the account once again.

Please report back your results, thanks :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

None of that worked..
mjs

Post by mjs »

Are you getting the same error as before? If not please post the error(s).

You're last resort is to use the WebMail Plugin by setting the "Server type" to "Hotmail/Outlook" and click HERE to see what to do for Send Mail settings. Webmail has some limitations i.e. attachments do not display for example, but at this time it is the most reliable protocol for MSN accounts due to the recent issues with their IMAP servers.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Error 535 generally indicates that the login failed. If you've reset the OAuth2 credentials per lakrsrool suggestion above, then I suspect the issue is with Hotmail's servers. They're already known to have serious issues with Imap, and also with POP3 (albeit to a lesser degree), so it stands to reason that SMTP has issues, too; although I haven't done any testing with smtp myself.

I just sent myself a test message. The imap account was currently busy for a while having the normal issues, but once it finished, the smtp connection went off without a hitch. I sent myself another test message while nothing else was happening and it seems to react quickly. So it's possible that smtp isn't affected by the problems (2 messages is not exactly scientific proof).

Another thought: you could try disabling OAuth2 and enter your password and see if that has a different result. You may need to change your security settings in your Outlook account, though (hm, actually, Outlook may not have the "allow less secure apps" setting... so you may not need to worry about changing settings in your account)