Multiple YAHOO Error (Timed Out)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
popkat

Multiple YAHOO Error (Timed Out)

Post by popkat »

Hi,

I have multiple yahoo accounts throwing this error all weekend. I have tried changing server type from Yahoo to POP/IMAP but those selections only create other errors.

Here is a copy of the error:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.2.10
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
[3: Yahoo] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error (Timed Out)

I have tried updating to the latest Webmail and SSL plugins with no improvement.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
spc3rd

Re: Multiple YAHOO Error (Timed Out)

Post by spc3rd »

Hello popkat,

Two questions for you...

(1)- Are you experiencing issues with POP Peeper not retrieving messages ONLY, or are you also having problems with being unable to send messages as well?

(2) - Are you able to log-in to the affected accounts via your browser without any issues?

Other members of the Esumsoft Team should be dropping-by later to further review the problem you are reporting & provide their feedback.

Best regards.
Global Moderator
popkat

Post by popkat »

Hi Pete!

I have not tried to send email - this is only for receiving email as far as I know.

I have successfully logged into the affected email IDs separately by multiple web browsers without issue.

I have noticed that the "Test Servers" execution has resulted in the following:
mail.yahoo.com = bad connection
pop.yahoo.com = unknown host
pop.mail.yahoo.com = ** Valid (SSL:995)
pop3.yahoo.com = bad connection

I don't recall where I was exactly when I stumbled on that Test Servers thing - must have been when I was trying POP/IMAP server types to see if this issue would go away (it didn't, just gave me different errors) before I switched back to my original server type of Yahoo again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I haven't noticed any issues with Yahoo/webmail; however, I don't have an account that I regularly use with that protocol (so my results are only from the occasional test); but nor have I heard from anyone with a similar problem.

Since it's a timeout error (which means that the server didn't respond to a command from POP Peeper), there's nothing that POP Peeper can do to fix that. What I would recommend, though, is that you use IMAP instead of webmail. After you switch the "server type" to IMAP, press the 'oauth2' button (top-right) and follow the instructions. If you have any problems with that setup, let us know what the error is.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I also haven't noticed much in the way of Yahoo errors in the past few days (with the exception of maybe an occasional "SSL" error, perhaps ~1-3 per day) and have 7 of my 8 Yahoo accounts using what Jeff recommended above (IMAP using OAuth2, which is important for Yahoo).

And as Jeff pointed out, if you get any further errors please post the "Error Overview" information, click on yellow exclamation in lower-right corner of PP interface then press the "Copy" button and "Paste" that information here in the topic (right-click in topic and select "Paste" from context menu), this can help with evaluating the cause of the errors. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
popkat

Post by popkat »

Of course now the errors have all gone away now so Yahoo must have been sick all weekend. I did post the error in my first email too:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.2.10
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
[3: Yahoo] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error (Timed Out)

Sigh......so now the world is good again.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for letting us know it's okay again. By the way, if I use the Manual Setup to Test Servers (that you had mentioned) for my Yahoo accounts that have been working fine I'll get "connect error" results for the test so don't worry about those results because regardless of the errors the IMAP Servers have not been getting any PP errors in my case for those accounts.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

popkat - glad things are back to normal

Regarding the "test servers" capability -- the main purpose of this tool is to help find the correct server name in case you don't know it. Some servers are built into PP (including yahoo). In v4.4, this method has been deprecated in favor of a new method that performs an online lookup to find the appropriate server based on your email address.