HELP - Upgrade to ver 4 on W10

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Pebkac123456789

HELP - Upgrade to ver 4 on W10

Post by Pebkac123456789 »

I shutdown the older version (older ver 3 somthing)
Ran installer - now I am stuck with POP Peeper.Upgrade window. The upgrade has run 3+ times -with and w/o compression and I cant get it to actually open the program it just opens this converter. The status shows successful but I cant get in to my accounts or view email at this time, it keeps asking if I want to run PopPeeper and if Yes, it closes and opens the upgrade window again.
Matthew Wai

Re: HELP - Upgrade to ver 4 on W10

Post by Matthew Wai »

Try out the portable version below, which I use.
http://data.esumsoft.com/download/POPPeeperPro-v43.zip
Pebkac123456789

After you mentioned it, I am pretty sure that is what I was using. (where did you find the link for the portable version, or do you just have to have the link?) I overlay-ed the files to my folder and ran the exe a different upgrade with more options came up (data folder) and updated the actual email files (prior version did not).

Unfortunately - it still went into the same loop. :(

Paul
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

More than likely, the reason this is happening is because your data files are stored in the "Program Files" folder (ie. running a "portable" configuration in a read-only folder, protected by UAC). Windows allowed this behavior in PPv3 by utilizing the "Virtual Store" folder, but you'll have problems in v4. btw, I'm mentioning some of these terms just so you can do some research if you want, it would take many paragraphs to summarize the details here.

I'm not sure why you're getting the behavior you are, though, as the update *should* take care of this for you. Try it one more time, but just use the default options; don't even enable "advanced options" (in case you were -- were you making any changes to the "destination folder"?)

If that doesn't fix the problem --
My first advice would be to move the POP Peeper folder out of "Program Files" and move it somewhere else. e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
To:
C:\POP Peeper\
(make sure that you MOVE the files, and not just copy them)

Once you start PP, you may notice some files/settings are out of date. If that's the case:
1) Exit POP Peeper
2) Go to the Virtual Store folder, e.g.
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
3) Copy those files into C:\POP Peeper\
-> You may want to make a backup of C:\POP Peeper\ first, just in case the files you're copying are actually older, but that shouldn't be the case; at the very least, you should compare the files' date/times before blindly overwriting them.
4) Restart PP

Assuming you start PP at Windows startup, you'll need to update it for the new folder location (main menu: Tools / Options / General: "run POP Peeper at windows startup").

Lastly: the so-called "portable" version is easily available on the download page. I don't personally like referring to it as the "portable" version because it installs the same files as the exe installation. That is, you can use the exe installer and install it directly to a usb drive and it's just as portable as using the zip file. Semantics :D
Pebkac123456789

I was only upgrading as my hotmail accounts have entered into a "Time Out" error on Logging in just this week and the "unread" messages will not go down.
(yes, I have IMAP, yes they are set to allow and had the access until this past week)
Pebkac123456789

Thanks- I do know UAC (unfortunately in W10, it must stay on) I also have Secpol for Admin Approval mode to Elevate w/o prompt.
I had also set the permissions for the exe to run as Admin user.

I will post my update after your detailed instructions shortly. I had restored a copy of the prior version from last night's backup to get into my mail.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Pebkac123456789 wrote: I do know UAC (unfortunately in W10, it must stay on)
It can be turned off easily according to http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off ... indows-10/
Jeff wrote: I don't personally like referring to it as the "portable" version because it installs the same files as the exe installation.
The 'portable' version does not create the following hidden folder, which the exe installation creates.
Jeff wrote:C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In general, I do not recommend disabling UAC.
The 'portable' version does not create the following hidden folder, which the exe installation creates.
I just tested it and the folder was not created. Even if it did, that's not particularly relevant as to whether it's portable or not. In fact, there's another file that it definitely installs that's not included in the zip file (uninstall.exe). To clarify what I said about "installing the same files" -- "the files it installs aren't different from each other."
Pebkac123456789

I have not performed the upgrade, I think there are several issues in my environment.

I found the following items in my search:

%AppData%\Pop Peeper\Data This has a folder per account with data.db file and a sub folder of: Sent
%ProgramData% - Pop Peeper (no sub folders or files)

I have already moved my restored Pop Peeper from the x86 folder to the C:\Temp (ver 3.8.1.0) and it run w/o issue (Not updated).
The Options/Storage's data path value is "data" (no folder path)

Prior to upgrading, what would you recommend I move and to where?
- Do I move the Data folder from AppData to the Data folder in my TEMP (Override or not?) or another location?
The current Data folder has emd files and sub folders of: Outbox and Sent
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The files that are currently in your AppData folder are the files that were created from upgrading to v4 (e.g. "data.db" is new in v4; "account.emd" is the equivalent file in v3).

What I would do is:
1) Rename:
%AppData%\Pop Peeper\
to something else, e.g.
%appData%\Pop Peeper - backup\

2) If C:\Temp\ is running v3.8 successfully, just make another *copy* of it for v4, e.g.

3) Install the latest POP Peeper v4 into the folder from #2:

4) And run PP from C:\POP Peeper\

5) You should see the upgrade wizard: just use the defaults and let it do its thing. After that, just make sure that your accounts, messages, and addressbook is there.

The reason I'm having you keep copies of your files is just so that it's easier to return to v3 in case something goes wrong. Actually, v4 creates backups itself, but it's a lot easier if *you* know where the files are so that you can get back to it asap. Once you have v4 running successfully, you can delete the backups.
Pebkac123456789

Jeff-
Thank you very much. That worked and I was successfully upgraded using the Portable file. =D>

Oddly enough - I found still had the timeout on that same hotmail account but it was able to pull email down. I reviewed the FAQ settings for Hotmail - thought it was on the SMTP side, and re-selected the same settings - updated to port 25) - still did not work. I then saw it was a failed send, and changed back to 587 and it works now - No errors. Odd, but it is now working. My other Hotmail accounts had STARTTLS for setting and work, this one needs SSL/TLS to work I guess.

Anyway, Thank you very much for getting me back up - big changes between the 2 versions but I do like it! :lol:

First (Pointed to SMTP)
Server Response: 200

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 0.9.8.10
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 09:54:27 - 09:54:27 (0 s) (-0400)
Data: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 06:54:27 -0700

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Timed Out

Second Error
--- Version ---

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (25) SSL: 1]
Error (Send)
Pebkac123456789

Spoke too soon, now it is erroring out again, and shows unread messages but none show as bold/unread.
I have nothing in the Outbox, so I am not sure why this is failing.

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
Outlook [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 2] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 1]
Error (Send)
mjs

Post by mjs »

It just happens that the Hotmail/Outlook IMAP Servers have been having problems recently (which is related to the errors you have posted). You can click HERE where you will find a relevant post by Jeff in a forum topic on this subject.

I also notice that your SSL plugin is not up to date, while this will not address the current IMAP Server problems with MSN you still might consider updating this Plugin. You can click HERE to get to the POP Peeper plugins page and then scroll down the page to where you will see the SSL plugins described and then click on "Installation instructions" to expand the instructions on how to do this. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Pebkac123456789

SSL has been updated -
Seems the error is tied to frequency of email check periods. I have not been getting them since I changed to 1 every hour.
I had it set before to every 35 min.

Paul
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you Paul for posting the information.

Actually Mail Check intervals at every 35 minutes should not be a problem at all. But it's good to know you are not getting any more errors. =D>
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Pebkac123456789

lakrsrool -

I know this was fixed but I have noticed one issue I cant fix.
The Unread column for accounts does not clear out. I have 13 unread messages but none show when I hide read messages.
What can I do to fix this?
PopMissingUnRead.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

Pebkac123456789 try the following: In the PP main menu go to "messages" and uncheck "Enable display filters...", you should get a window that explains what this does (this setting is to be ONLY used temporarily for testing, be sure and enable it again when done testing).

Doing this do you see unread messages in your inbox?
Pebkac123456789

It did not. I even tried selecting ALL messages for that account and marking as Unread and then as Read.
The count changed but is not marking all items as Read. The count is 94

When marked as unread
- The problem account shows a total of 187 messages
- Total unread shows 277

After I mark all 187 as READ:
-Problem account shows 94 Unread
Unread Shows 94 and NEW show as 94.

None show as Bold (unread)

I set the Display Filters back, edited the account and went thru all the options the only "Change" was on Advanced I re-selected NONE for the "Hide Messages from *All Accounts*" and clicked OK.

-it Finally pulled down the new messages and displayed them, from 4/17 thru to today.

Paul
mjs

Post by mjs »

Pebkac123456789 wrote: -it Finally pulled down the new messages and displayed them, from 4/17 thru to today.
So then the issue is resolved, right? Good to hear. =D>
There is another recent topic similar to your issue that Jeff posted on just today Re: Sent mail not visible - Zoho & Yandex, if I understand your response correctly the missing messages are now visible so you may not need to do what is recommended in this other topic, but it is something to keep in mind.