Multiple errors (linux/wine)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Marcolou16

Multiple errors (linux/wine)

Post by Marcolou16 »

Hi unable to get into my accounts. Would appreciate some help. Thanks

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [10: Gmail] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-1000)

Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-1001)
Last edited by Jeff on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated title to include linux/wine
mjs

Re: Multiple errors

Post by mjs »

How long have these errors been occurring?

Do you have other accounts that do not get these errors?

These type of errors should clear very quickly, which is why I am asking....
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Marcolou16

Post by Marcolou16 »

Probably my bad...installed PP on a Linux Mint 18.1 machine using the WINE emulator for Windows programs.
Other programs work fine. Was hoping PP would too. Been relying on PP for many years.
Would appreciate any input you have.
Thanks.
mjs

Post by mjs »

As far as I'm aware POP Peeper v4 supports Windows XP forward. In regards to using the "WINE emulator" that you have referenced; FWIW, Wine is not an Emulator as differentiated from CPU emulators referenced by the fact that no code emulation or virtualization occurs when running a Windows application under Wine. As to any further details on this, Jeff will need to elaborate further.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I know it's worked in the past, but there are 2 things I can think of:
1) POP Peeper: main menu: Tools / Options; Connection; set "access type" = "direct connection"
2) I don't know if wine provides access to this or not, but in the Windows Control Panel, open Internet Options; Advanced tab; near the bottom, find the options for "use TLS v1.x" and make sure that "TLS 1.2" is enabled. Most services require this and it may not be enabled by default (if it's available at all: it's relatively new in Windows so may not be in Wine). This option page is also available via IE's settings (I can't remember if wine includes IE or not...?)

Otherwise, I'd suggest using IMAP (for gmail) and POP3 (for hotmail, because their imap servers...). This method is not only better, but relies less on Windows-specific features.
Marcolou16

Post by Marcolou16 »

Thanks Jeff for promptly looking into this,
1)With "direct connection" I get same results (errors)
2) Wine is just an app to install Windows programs into Linux, there is no access to any Windows features.

I had also tried to access through IMAP and POP3 but I still get errors:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Login Error ([ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 Failure)

Hotmail [0: POP3] ['pop-mail.outlook.com' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Login Error (Authentication failure: unknown user name or bad password. [Error="UserDisabled" AuthResult=27 Proxy=CY4PR10MB1880.namprd10.prod.outlook.com:1995:SSL])
mjs

Post by mjs »

You could try the following for these accounts:

For the Gmail (IMAP) account(s) make sure you use "OAuth2", edit the Gmail account(s) in PP and press the "OAuth2" button and follow the ensuing steps. This may help with that specific Gmail error. (OAuth2 won't work with Wine as posted by Jeff) Also you can try logging into your Gmail account(s) on the web and Click on the "gear icon" (⚙) and select "Settings" and click on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab and select "Enable IMAP" and click "Save Changes".

For Hotmail using "POP3", login into account(s) on the web and Click on the "gear icon" (⚙) and go to "Options" > Select "POP and IMAP" in left pane and select "YES" for "POP Options" and click "Save" at the top of the interface.
Last edited by mjs on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Multiple errors (linux/wine)

Post by Jeff »

Regarding oauth2 -- you'll have to disable this requirement in your gmail account:
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps?pli=1
- allow less secure apps = ON
(note: this still uses the industry standard SSL/TLS)

OAuth2 requires https access which will undoubtedly fail. In fact, you won't even be able to enable oauth2 because the webbrowser won't allow you to click the buttons to accept it. As impressive as Wine is, it's not without flaws.

btw, while I had PP open in Wine, I tested my rediffmail account, which worked. Rediffmail does not implement newer security standards (although it does use https), which is why I expected it to work, and supports my theory that TLS1.2 isn't implemented in wine.
Marcolou16

Post by Marcolou16 »

Well you guys know your stuff.

Hotmail is working via lakrsrool post.

Jeff, before reading your last post, I had been trying to get Gmail via OAuth2 protocol but was unable to click on the deny or allow options that Google page offered, even after giving access to unsecure apps option ;) in my settings.

Now I know it is not possible...shame...shame...to Google. However for many reasons I can't drop my Gmail account.

Many thanks for your efforts !!!

P.S. Maybe in the future there will be a POP Peeper app written for Linux (by the way Linux Mint rocks)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Marcolou16 wrote: Now I know it is not possible...shame...shame...to Google. However for many reasons I can't drop my Gmail account.
So you still get errors in POP Peeper allowing "less secure apps" in Google?
Did you try to enable "TLS 1.2" that Jeff mentioned either via Wine or IE if Wine supports doing so?

If Gmail continues to give errors using IMAP you could try using POP3 (change "Server type" from IMAP to POP3) in your Gmail account(s) in POP Peeper (keeping "less secure apps", https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps?pli=1, set to "on").... And then try logging into your Gmail account(s) on the web and Click on the "gear icon" (⚙) and select "Settings" and click on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab to change your Gmail settings from "Enable IMAP" to "Enable POP3" and click "Save Changes". Not sure if this will make any difference, but it's worth a try. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to be clear -- POP Peeper *will* work using either Imap (recommended) or Pop3 for any type of account. For gmail, you must enable the "less secure apps" setting. If that wording makes you nervous, just bear in mind that it's the same level of security that your Hotmail account is using and virtually every other email service.

The insecure apps setting doesn't affect the allow/deny capability in oauth2. I think that's just a bug in Wine's webbrowser emulation.

Upon further investigation (PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker; Troubleshooting; IE emulation), it appears that Wine only emulates IE8. That's likely why the allow/deny buttons don't work (moot anyway since, like I said, it still requires https access behind the scenes to work). Interestingly, I've found evidence that IE8 *did* support TLS1.2, but it was disabled by default.

[edit] I now see why you were confused because I said "regarding oauth2..." What I should have said is "ignore oauth2 because it doesn't work in wine, just enable 'allow less secure apps' and it will work" :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

To clarify from my perspective, based on the following comments:
Marcolou16 wrote: Jeff, before reading your last post, I had been trying to get Gmail via OAuth2 protocol but was unable to click on the deny or allow options that Google page offered, even after giving access to unsecure apps option ;) in my settings.

Now I know it is not possible...shame...shame...to Google. However for many reasons I can't drop my Gmail account.
It appears that possibly there was an incorrect conclusion reached that the reason to use "less secure apps" is to help (allow) "OAuth2" to work in Gmail based on the prior post:
Jeff wrote:Regarding oauth2 -- you'll have to disable this requirement in your gmail account:
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps?pli=1
- allow less secure apps = ON....
... instead of the actual reason that "less secure apps" needs to be "on" in the event that OAuth2 is not used or in this case won't work which is the situation here apparently (and I'm sure my prior comments to "make sure you use OAuth2" was not at all helpful and certainly added to the confusion, which I later redacted upon Jeff stipulating that apparently in this case OAuth2 will not work).

It's a matter that if OAuth2 is not used (in this case cannot be used) then "less secure apps" needs to be "on" (otherwise Gmail has a fit [-X). So as Jeff mentioned above, the Gmail "less secure apps" must be "on" in this case and when this is done then either IMAP or POP3 should work. :wink:

So Marcolou16, with this in mind, please let us know if you continue to have POP Peeper issues with Gmail.
Marcolou16

Post by Marcolou16 »

[lakrsrool]So you still get errors in POP Peeper allowing "less secure apps" in Google?
Did you try to enable "TLS 1.2" that Jeff mentioned either via Wine or IE if Wine supports doing so?[/quote]

Well now it is working through IMAP but interestingly with SSL/TLS. :lol:

I have now both accounts (Gmail/Hotmail) working smoothly.

lakrsrool and Jeff cannot thank you enough for your assistance and patience. =D>
mjs

Post by mjs »

Marcolou16 wrote: Well now it is working through IMAP but interestingly with SSL/TLS. :lol:

I have now both accounts (Gmail/Hotmail) working smoothly.
Great news =D>

FYI, "SSL/TLS" is the default encryption protocol for "IMAP" accounts in POP Peeper (also keep in mind when using "IMAP", if you enable "IDLE/Push" you will get messages as they arrive on your Email Clients Server since Gmail happens to support "IDLE").