Yahoo-Unexpected sign-in attempt

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jdbliss

Yahoo-Unexpected sign-in attempt

Post by jdbliss »

Last night I received an email from Yahoo for each on of my accounts, and my son's account (who also uses PP) with a subject of Unexpected sign-in attempt. The body of the email is as follows (my account name is hidden here):

Hi John,
On Thu, May 4, 2017 1:38 AM PDT, we noticed a successful sign in to your Yahoo account "---------" from an unrecognized device.
If this was you, you're all set!
If this wasn't you and you believe someone may have tried to access your account, please change your password and update your account recovery information.
Yahoo

The only account I did not receive a notice from is the one Yahoo account in PP that is disabled. My inclination is to believe this is all about PP logging in to fetch email, and Yahoo sending notice to make me switch to them.

Anxious to hear if anyone else received such notices recently.
mjs

Re: Yahoo-Unexpected sign-in attempt

Post by mjs »

My guess is you are using the Yahoo Webmail protocol (i.e. 'Server type" for your Yahoo accounts are set to "Yahoo"). Please edit your Yahoo account(s) and check this setting under the "General" tab.

If you are not using "IMAP" along with OAuth2 then we would highly recommend that you do so which by using this combination of settings you would not get these type of messages from Yahoo, that is unless there is some reason you are unable to use IMAP (in which case you would instead use "less secure apps" in your Yahoo accounts Account Security settings).

Below are the following steps to change to the recommended "IMAP" protocol:
1) Edit the Yahoo account (right-click on account and select "Edit account...").
2) Change the accounts "Server type" from "Yahoo" to "IMAP" from the drop-down selection list.
3) Then click on the "oAuth2" button and follow each step to enable this function.
4) Press the "Update" button to save your changes.

Keep in mind that the first Mail Check (only) will take longer after making this change as PP switches over to the changed protocol. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

jdbliss -- I would be interested in knowing what protocol you're using and if it's IMAP, if they're using OAuth2.

That being said, I think that these kinds of messages may be prevalent from Yahoo...? The problem is, I'm rather desensitized to these messages since I'm used to getting them via testing etc. so I don't know how often they occur for the average person. However, if I had to make a guess, maybe the messages you received were initiated because your IP address changed.

Also, if you use OAuth2 with IMAP, instead of the email saying "an unrecognized device" it will instead say "POP Peeper" -- so that may be a better alternative just so it's easier to verify.
jdbliss

Post by jdbliss »

Thanks Jeff and Lakrsrool. I was using Yahoo. I will try out IMAP and OAuth2. Thanks!
John