New version 4.4 will not run after install

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rtorella

New version 4.4 will not run after install

Post by rtorella »

I am a registered user of PopPeeper Pro + Pro Pack. All was well up to version 4.3 which fortunately I performed a backup not to long ago. Updated to the new v4.4. After initial install, clicked the run now button. Received a windows notice that poppeeper is not responding and crashed. Restarted Win7 Pro 64 machine and noticed tray icon. Right clicked check mail and noticed no movement in the tray icon. Double clicked icon and rather than usual program opening in center of screen with accounts and email, it was in upper left corner with partial screen. Clicked on the exit close button and heard windows "ding" and poppeeper remains open. Had to cntl+alt+del to force close poppeeper. Tried reinstall and same situation. Tried compatability settings of prev Win versions and run as admin, did not fix. The new version will not properly execute on my desktop.

Performed restore function of backup from 6mths ago, which puts everything back to operational in version 4.3 with Pro Pack, etc. All is well there. Have never had any problems with updating versions on this same PC. For some reason, the new Version 4.4 is not fully updating or something. Tried it several times with same problem. Do not want to uninstall v4.3 as it works fine and took me lots of trials to get all settings the way I like them.

Please advise what the problem could be?? Thanks
mjs

Re: New version 4.4 will not run after install

Post by mjs »

Did you install using the link in the POP Peeper v4.4 released announcement :?:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

I installed by following the program notification of new version. Which took me to a download page to download 4.4.
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

Checked and your announcement link took me to same page under the download tab
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I had asked these in response to your other post:
- when you uninstalled, did you delete data files (I'm not suggesting that you should)?
- the behavior you describe sounds like there may be a window on top, preventing interaction with the main window; can you tell if the main window has the focus or not (it can be difficult to tell, but the text in the title bar of windows that do not have the focus appear lighter than normal)

Your description of the "ding" definitely indicates that my 2nd question is likely -- that there's a window above the main PP window that's preventing interaction with the main window. It may be the window performing the database update, although you shouldn't see the main PP window at all in that case...

My advice: try upgrading to v4.4 again (I recommend restoring v4.3 data files first, and then upgrading v4.4 on top; having killed the v4.4 process may have corrupted the data files) and just wait for it to finish. If you have a lot of messages (and/or large messages), the longer the update will take. If you have a HDD activity light on your computer tower, you may want to watch that; and/or use task manager to watch POP Peeper's cpu usage.

Keep us updated.
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

Will try it again but let it sit for awhile. Previous upgrades went right in with no wait but I will try again. Yes, the ding is something I agree, in this case means something is not complete in the background. I installed it on top of v4.3. Will let you know what happens.

Thx
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The first time that v4.4 runs, it does an update to the databases which will allow PP to start much faster than it did in previous versions.
However, you may not notice the difference until the 3rd run because on the 2nd run, it will do maintenance on the databases (cleaning up from the upgrade).
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

Tried it for 4th time. Plz see attached screenshot. Top menu bar is greyed out. After 5 minutes, no hard drive light flashing. Task Manager shows nothing currently running. Processes shows 1 pop peeper file .
Attachments
2017-05-12_10-34-47.jpg
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

Currently have tray icon with no hard drive activity. Approx 25 emails on server. Processes show POPpeeper.exe *32 running. Does it matter that this is a 64 machine. Didn't in the past though....The tray icon is sitting idle and I do not see any indication of other activity running in regards to the database updating. I know with past versions, I always received the database update notification right away. It is as if it is going into that mode but not actually doing or completing the process. It has been 10 minutes with no hard drive light indication of activity.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, try this (no need to restore v4.3 or anything)
1) Open Windows Explorer to where PP saves its data files. Since you've been doing restore/backups, I assume you know where this is, but the default location is:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
(e.g. C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper)\)

2) Do a search for:
data.db
- there will be such a file for each of your accounts

3) Ordinarily, I would suggest that you rename these files so that you have a backup, but since you already have a backup:
delete all the data.db files
-> data.db contains your inbox messages; POP Peeper will re-sync these messages

4) Restart POP Peeper v4.4

I just saw your follow-up. So are saying that POP Peeper only has about 25 messages in total? The upgrade shouldn't even be noticed (unless, maybe if those 25 messages constitute 100's of MBs)... I would still try the above. Whether it works or not, would you be willing to send your backup files so that I can investigate the problem? I can tell you what to do to remove the more-sensitive information.
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

Will try removing the db file and let you know what happens. Have been monitoring the cpu useage and pop peeper has been from 47-49% for 25 minutes now if that helps.
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

I think that I might know what the problem might be?? There are no data files in the user name/appdata/roaming/poppeeper folder. All of my account are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Poppeeper\data. All 4 of my email accounts are there as this is what I chose at the backup/restore path. Removed all 4 data files from 4 email folders and restarted pop peeper. It said "you have mail" opened popeeper and still in upper left corner but this time the menus are not greyed out but are still non-functional with the windows "ding"
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

There are only 16 small emails. Attached are screenshots of my backup and restore paths. I think that the new version might not be finding what it is looking for.
Attachments
2017-05-12_11-25-26.jpg
2017-05-12_11-24-39.jpg
2017-05-12_11-22-50.jpg
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

After successful restore to prev version, CPU for pop peeper at Zero usage.
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

How do I send you the backup file folder? Last one was from 6mths ago with no changes to accounts or settings.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That could very well be the problem -- Windows doesn't allow files in the "Program Files" folder to be modified. But I have never heard of the behavior you describe (although it could be a side-effect of the "upgrade" window I mentioned earlier)

Ok, new strategy:
1) Restore from v4.3 again, but don't put the files under "Program Files", instead put them into C:\PP\ (or C:\POP Peeper\ or whatever you want, I'll use "C:\PP\" for reference)
- If you do restore to "Program Files" then manually move that folder to C:\PP\

2) Upgrade to v4.4 -- be sure to update the install folder to C:\PP\

3) Start PPv4.4 from C:\PP\

4) It works?

5) If it does work, go to Tools / Options; and on the "General" page, make sure that "Run POP Peeper at Windows Startup" is checkmarked and press OK. This will update the new folder location. (only do this if that's the behavior you want, of course)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Knowing how I think your environment is setup, I'm going to run an experiment on my end and see if I can duplicate the issue...
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

I tried something different with unfortunately same problem. I believe the upgrade is looking in the wrong location and just keeps looking. There must be a process window in the background but I cannot move the one that is stuck open. I tried creating a new backup from v4.3 to User\roaming\poppeeper and restoring from there. Then tried the upgrade from there with same situation. For backups, I have always created a folder on my desktop and successfully backed up or restored from there. Have never encountered this with all previous upgrades. Even from version 3 to 4 back when.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have tried duplicating the issue, but no luck (well, no "bad" luck).

I have sent you an email to the address registered on the forum. If you do not get the email, email me at (support at esumsoft dot com) so that we can continue to troubleshoot this via email.
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

Ok will look for it