PP 4.4 won't download entire messages for one of my gmail accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
killme

PP 4.4 won't download entire messages for one of my gmail accounts

Post by killme »

I upgraded PP from 4.3 to 4.4 some days ago. One of my gmail accounts in PP will only download the header. Every message I open I get the text: "Please Wait. The message is being retrieved." Even after it retrieves the message. If I close the message window and then open that same message I still get the above text and it has to download the message. It's just this one gmail account that it happens on. The other gmail accounts are fine.

I've tried removing all messages from the list and downloading them again with the same result. I checked my settings and PP is set to download the entire message. I'm at a loss as to why it's happening.
mjs

Re: PP 4.4 won't download entire messages for one of my gmail accounts

Post by mjs »

If the settings you have checked that are set to "Entire Message" are the "Tools" > "Options", "Message Retrieval" settings then also edit the specific problematic account (right-click "Edit account..."), select the "Advanced" tab. and make sure you see the following setting below (pointed out):
Message retrieval for account advanced setting.png
Note: If you do not see the "Advanced" tab in the account edit interface window (as illustrated above) then go to "Tools" > "Options" and in the "General" tab make sure that "Advanced options" is enabled (check the box, upper right of interface window).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
killme

Post by killme »

I've verified mine says "Default (Entire Message)" for the problematic account. I even tried setting that one account to "Entire Message" instead of "Default", but no change in behavior.

I'm thinking that since it has to retrieve the message every time I open it, it's not caching/saving the messages when it downloads them. So PP just downloads them again.
mjs

Post by mjs »

When reading the message try clicking on "File" > "Re-download message", do you get the message correctly?

Also you could try from the main PP window right-clicking on one of the affected messages and select "Remove from list" and then do a Mail Check (right-click on account and select "Check mail") and see if the message that you had removed (which will return to the inbox after the Mail check) displays correctly when you read the message.

You could try exiting POP Peeper and/or rebooting your computer to see if this helps.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I suspect that your database may be corrupted -- by any chance did you terminate the poppeeper.exe process when you first ran v4.4 or have any errors/crashes?

Try creating another account using the same email address -- if you have advanced options enabled, you can right-click on the account and select "Duplicate account" -- and see if that account works better.

If that works, and you want to keep your original account which may have saved sent/archive/etc. messages attached to it, you can do the following:
1) Open Windows Explorer to where POP Peeper stores its data files (the "data path" can be found under Tools / Options / Storage)
2) Open the subfolder for the affected account
3) EXIT POP Peeper
4) Delete the file data.db
5) Optionally, copy the data.db file from your duplicated account into this folder
6) Restart POP Peeper

Let us know if that works.
killme

Post by killme »

That fixed it. PP created a new data.db file after I renamed the old one. I don't recall any crashes with v4.4, but I do see in my logs I had a crash with version 4.3 back on April 28th. I remember after upgrading to v4.4, POP Peeper did a database optimization. That's when I started having problems with that account. Thanks for your support. I'm glad it's all fixed. :D =D>
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear that worked!

So you still have the original file that caused the problem? I should have asked that in the first place, but would you be willing to send the file to me so that I can see what the problem was? If so, email to (support at esumsoft dot com) if it's not too big.