Yahoo messages not in Sent folder

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rd4pp

Yahoo messages not in Sent folder

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,

PP 4.4.1.0
Webmail 4.4.2.0
Yahoo accounts

I switched over a couple of weeks ago from using Webmail to IMAP because I could not longer send mail from my Yahoo accounts.

One of the things that I had with Webmail was that the messages I sent were copied to the Sent folder. If I needed one, I could go log into Yahoo via a browser and find them, use them to re-forward, etc.

With IMAP, the sent messages are no longer copied to the Sent folder.
Is that an inevitable consequence of using IMAP?

I also tried using Webmail and changing Send Mail from Webmail to SMTP. That fixed the send mail problem, too, but like IMAP, does not copy sent mail to the Sent folder.

Is there any way around this?

Also, with IMAP, when someone sends an attachment, I have to "download the entire message" to get the attachment.
I did not have to do that with Webmail previously.

Thanks,
Ross
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Yahoo messages not in Sent folder

Post by Jeff »

rd4pp wrote:With IMAP, the sent messages are no longer copied to the Sent folder.
Is that an inevitable consequence of using IMAP?
Yes. POP Peeper doesn't currently support saving sent messages to the IMAP sent folder. What you can do is BCC yourself (edit the account, select "Send Mail" and add your email address to the BCC). What you can then do is setup a filter that moves messages from yourself to the appropriate folder. If you have POP Peeper Pro, you can move it directly to the 'Sent' folder (let me know if you want help setting up a filter in PP to do this). If you use a server-side filter, they won't allow you to move messages to the 'Sent' folder, so you'd need to create a new folder, e.g. "Sent2" or something.
rd4pp wrote:Also, with IMAP, when someone sends an attachment, I have to "download the entire message" to get the attachment.
That's the nature of IMAP (and POP3) -- attachments are actually part of the email message. You could tell POP Peeper to always retrieve the entire message if it would be more convenient (main menu: Tools / Options / Message Retrieval; set the "default retrieval option" for "IMAP" to "entire"). Once POP Peeper has downloaded the entire message, you have instant access to the attachment.