Possible to separate individual accounts into separate files ?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
arcadian

Possible to separate individual accounts into separate files ?

Post by arcadian »

Hi

I've got about 15 contacts I'm in touch with regularly, however at the moment all their replies are listed into one long list down the centre of the screen. Is it possible to file their replies into separate compartments after they've arrived as obviously I daren't risk replying to the wrong person by mistake.... ?

Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Possible to separate individual accounts into separate files ?

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean, and the subject seems unrelated to your question so I'm just not getting it... :? Do you mean something like "group by conversation"? POP Peeper does not have "group by conversation" (except sorting by subject kind of does that since it will sub-sort by date; but this is not really the same since "subject" will be the primary column sorted).

I'm not sure if this is on the right track, but to help differentiate your contacts, you could create a rule that assigns specific senders a unique icon (in the "user flag" column). POP Peeper doesn't provide very many icons by default, but you can add your own (this would require "AntiJunk" from POP Peeper Pro) .

You can also add a unique picture for each contact which would be clearly visible when you read their email (the picture can be added in the address book and requires "Profile Picture" which is available in either the Plus Pack or Pro).
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Sorry about that but a bit difficult to explain.

Putting it another way over the years I'd finished up with 15 separate gmail addresses for different people which was ok until recently when I realised I now needed only 5. So rather than wasting time on trying to follow GMail's hopelessly complicated systems to prune them down to just 5 and risking messing things up for everyone completely, I decided to junk the lot and have one account for just the remaining 5 regular contacts.

This has made life considerably easier, but what I was wondering was is there a way to now channel or filter each one of the 5 into their own individual folder where I can then reply to each one separately in the same way that I'd dealt with each of the previous 15 as I daren't risk getting things mixed up.

The user flag is only for junk which obviously is incorrect, but I thought the Profile picture might do the trick so downloaded Pro ok but unfortunately can't find it....?
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'm confused as to what you want to do regarding replying to messages from your five email accounts, but in regards to Picture Profile there are steps outlined below regarding this procedure:

1) Open a message in POP Peeper (read a message by double-clicking on message in main PP interface)
2) Within the read message interface click on "Tools" > "Edit address book profile..."
Profile 1.png
Profile 1.png (12.73 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
You will see this interface where you can set the account to be identified by a picture when you read the account messages
Profile 2.png
As illustrated by this example message (note: the picture profile for this account in screen-shot):
Profile example pic 3.png
Profile example pic 3.png (20.5 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Thanks both you don't do what I'm looking for after all, I'll figure something out eventually.... :)
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

arcadian wrote:Sorry about that but a bit difficult to explain.

Putting it another way over the years I'd finished up with 15 separate gmail addresses for different people which was ok until recently when I realised I now needed only 5. So rather than wasting time on trying to follow GMail's hopelessly complicated systems to prune them down to just 5 and risking messing things up for everyone completely, I decided to junk the lot and have one account for just the remaining 5 regular contacts.

This has made life considerably easier, but what I was wondering was is there a way to now channel or filter each one of the 5 into their own individual folder where I can then reply to each one separately in the same way that I'd dealt with each of the previous 15 as I daren't risk getting things mixed up.

The user flag is only for junk which obviously is incorrect, but I thought the Profile picture might do the trick so downloaded Pro ok but unfortunately can't find it....?
I think I have understood what you are saying. Let me write it down so that I can communicate what I understood.

You have ONE gmail ID where you are getting emails from 5 different contacts - say - A / B / C / D & E

You want to see ALL emails from EACH of them in separate folders in POP Peeper. Am I correct so far?

If yes, the solution I propose is:
1. Create Labels in Gmail for EACH of these contacts
2. Write rules in Gmail to auto label emails from each contact into their respective labels.
3. Enable IMAP access in Gmail.
3. In POP Peeper create separate accounts for each of the Labels for these contacts.

You should get what you are looking for.

Let me know if this works for you!
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

If yes, the solution I propose is:
1. Create Labels in Gmail for EACH of these contacts
2. Write rules in Gmail to auto label emails from each contact into their respective labels.
3. Enable IMAP access in Gmail.
3. In POP Peeper create separate accounts for each of the Labels for these contacts.
Thanks yes spot on.

However because GMail has always been a long standing nightmare and hellish difficult to find one's way round mistakes easily being made, if I understand your last item correctly to create separate accounts i.e. email addresses in Pop Peeper, couldn't this action be done on its own without having to use GMail at all ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

arcadian wrote:... couldn't this action be done on its own without having to use GMail at all ?
arcadian - If you just want a way to identify each message that is retrieved by POP Peeper by the specific contact of the sender then I think there is a way to do this and not do anything with Gmail at all. This would be done by displaying a unique flag (user flag) in the POP Peeper Inbox window for each of the five individual accounts (which can be accomplished as described below)

You can create a separate "user flag" (you can create up to 20 separate "user flag's" in POP Peeper) to be used to identify each individual "contact" that sends you messages. After creating each "user flag" you can create a "rule" that will assign each different "user flag" to each individual account "contact" and then when these messages are retrieved by POP Peeper they will display a unique "user flag" in the "user flag" column of the main POP Peeper inbox interface for each of the different individual account "contacts".

You can look up how to create additional "user flags" by going to POP Peeper "Help" > "Contents" and in the "Index" tab type in "user flag" and then double-click on the selected "user flag" topic in the left pane.

To find out how to create a "rule" so that each individual account will display the unique "user flag" in the "user flag" column of POP Peeper you can type in the word "rules" in the "Index" tab of POP Peeper Help/Contents and double-click on the selected "rules" topic in the left Help pane for assistance on how to do this.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

This sounds fine but is there a special version of Pop Peeper required as I think I've only got the basic one....
mjs

Post by mjs »

arcadian wrote:... This sounds fine but is there a special version of Pop Peeper required as I think I've only got the basic one....
You had posted the following above:
arcadian wrote: The user flag is only for junk which obviously is incorrect, but I thought the Profile picture might do the trick so downloaded Pro ok but unfortunately can't find it....?
So I assumed that you are now using POPeeper Pro (which is what you need for this)... This method of identifying messages by each individuals "contact" is the same suggestion that Jeff posted above when you replied (in part) with the post above (I was just explaining this "user flag" approach in more detail). So if you have Pro then you can use this approach (note: the alternate picture profile approach would only require the pluspack - but that does not differentiate the various accounts by contact in the POP Peeper inbox in the manner that the "user flag" will, which by the way is a column that can be sorted in the main PP interface for purposes of grouping).
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

All ok with the user flag now also a whole lot easier than risking getting tangled up with dreaded GMail again....

Thanks a lot for all the help :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Your very welcome, happy to know this helps you out.... and I want to thank YourKoolPal for providing clarity to the topic as well as offering alternate solutions. Image
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks, YourKoolPal -- your solution was not only a very good solution (and, I believe, more in line with what arcadian was originally asking for), but it helped me understand what arcardian was looking for.

So to wrap things up -- if you want an actual separation of the senders, you would need to follow YourKoolPal's advice and move the messages into separate folders on the server. POP Peeper doesn't (yet) have that concept ("virtual folders" is how I would refer to them). But if user flags and/or profile pictures work, then there you go.