PP can't flag emails as "read" in Yahoo Webmail [resolved]

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
conax

PP can't flag emails as "read" in Yahoo Webmail [resolved]

Post by conax »

Hello,
from several days, I can read the Yahoo emails, but PP don't flag the read messages on Yahoo's server.
I have to manually flag messages on my Yahoo accounts.

Then, I login in on Yahoo directly (from the web interface); I noticed that when I read the email, Yahoo flag it as read with a delay of 3 or 4 seconds.

In PPTweaker, the option: "IMAP: Sync read/unread state with server" is disable. Maybe I'd have to set this option to ON?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Win 7 64-bt, PP updated to the last version, server type: Yahoo, IMAP.
Last edited by conax on Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Re: PP can't flag emails as "read" in Yahoo Webmail

Post by mjs »

If you have your Email account(s) set to use the IMAP "Server type" and have the "IMAP: Sync read/unread state with server" option you mentioned enabled (checked) then you should get the results you want.

Note: Aside from that, keep in mind for IMAP accounts it is advisable to use "OAuth2" (click on the "Oauth2..." button and follow steps) and enable "IDLE/Push" (all settings found in the Edit Account..." page same as "Server type" setting).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Regarding the "server type" of "Yahoo" -- Yahoo has been making changes, so it's possible that the behavior has been affected by that. An update has been released that may fix the problem, but it specifically addresses the new interface and not the old interface(s).

WebMail v4.4.2 has been released. To force POP Peeper to update:
- From POP Peeper's main menu, select Help / About
- Ensure that "Auto-update webmail plugin" is enabled
- Press the "Check version" button
conax

Post by conax »

I go to http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-peeper/plugins/ and I've seen that two plugins weren't update.
I manually update SSL and Webmail plugins and now all seems ok.
I don't enabled "Sync read/unread...".

For some Yahoo accounts (the ones didn't work), PP has retrieved all old messages not flagged, and now it's ok.

I don't know why automatic update fails...
mjs

Post by mjs »

Do you have these options enabled (checked) that are circled in the screen-shot below?:
Go to "Help" > "POP Peeper..." to get this display.
Go to "Help" > "POP Peeper..." to get this display.
If these options are enabled then POP Peeper should auto-update within 24 hours from the time a new update has been released (Note: the recent Yahoo Webmail plugin update was released within the past 24 hours). You can also "force" an update by clicking on the "Check version" button as described HERE.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
conax

Post by conax »

Hello, larksrool.

Of course, I've enabled these options.
It never happened before. We'll see in the future if it's ok.
In the case it won't, I'll wirte it here.

Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper only checks for updates every 24 hours or so and since the webmail update was just released yesterday, it's possible that it just hadn't checked for the update yet. That's why I had mentioned the instructions for forcing the update.
conax

Post by conax »

Ok, Jeff, thanks.
Maybe I can post here, without open a new thread...

I've noticed when I open PP and start the countdown to retrieve new emails, sometimes Yahoo servers get "try again" error (yellow mark at the bottom on the status bar). This happens only when I open PP and all servers retrieve messages at the same time (I have others servers to check than Yahoo).
Then, I manually check emails to these two or three servers (not always the same servers) with error, and they works well.

It seems Yahoo has problems if we check more servers at the same time.
Is there any options to set, or it's normal, it's Yahoo's fault?
mjs

Post by mjs »

I am not sure this would have any impact on your results in this specific case but what is the value you have for "maximum simultaneous threads" in "Tools" > "Options", "Mail Check" tab?

The default setting is "2", higher values can reduce the amount of overall time that Mail Checks will take which can be especially helpful when you have so many accounts that the Mail Check may sometimes stall.

If this is a low value (less than 3) you might try increasing this value depending upon how many accounts you have, the more the accounts then a higher value can sometimes help (for example I have 40 accounts so I have the "maximum simultaneous threads" value set at 10 which I would say would be a minimum for this many accounts). Note: A good starting point value might be to divide the number of accounts you have by 3 or 4 and make this value the "maximum simultaneous threads" value.
conax

Post by conax »

Hi, lakrsrool.

That option is set to 3. I've tried to set it to 5 (I have 15 accounts).
I'll write here the result of my attempt.
conax

Post by conax »

Unfortunately, it didn't work.
I set first "maximum simultaneous threads" to 4 and then to 6, but I received errors too.
Only for Yahoo and only starting PopPeeper.
Maybe it might be useful if the polling interval could be read at first retrieve when we open PP.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If you're referring to a -11 error, I *just* released an update (webmail v4.4.4) that will fix this.

To get the update immediately:
1) From POP Peeper's main menu, select Help / About
2) Make sure that both of these options are enabled:
- automatically check for updates
- auto-update webmail plugin
3) Press the "Check version" button
<wait...>
4) In the list above these options, your webmail's "current" version should list 4.4.4.0

Just FYI: Yahoo is phasing in a new login screen. Whenever you have to log into Yahoo (with your webbrowser), you can tell which version of the login screen you're getting by looking at the "Yahoo" logo on the top-left: if it says "Yahoo mail" then that's the old format; if it just says "Yahoo" it's the new/beta format. In my tests, I would see the "new" login screen about 33-50% of the time. btw, this is on the actual login screen where you enter your username/password; not after you've logged in and looking at your inbox.

And on a side-note: just now, after a few seconds of being logged into my yahoo mail with firefox, the page got redirected to a "critical firefox update" malware page... :roll:
conax

Post by conax »

Hi Jeff, and thanks for your assistance.
I'm referring to the "-1 error, try again" and only when PP starts.

My Yahoos are all on beta version, unfortunately (Yahoo logo instead of "Yahoo mail".

By the way, I just update plugin. We'll see if it works. Cheers.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well, there is no -1 error so I'm guessing that it is the -11 error that's fixed in v4.4.4. The reason it occurs at startup is because once POP Peeper is able to login, it won't have to login again for quite a while (or until PP is restarted). So it happens to get the "beta login" at startup (which fails), and then on the subsequent mail check, it gets the old-style login, at which point PP is able to login again and you don't have any problems again until PP starts again.

You may already have v4.4.4 by now, but if not, I'd recommend forcing the update.
conax

Post by conax »

Ok, Jeff. Thank you for your detailed information.
I updated the plugin 4 days ago and now it's working well!

Thank you very much and have a good day. :D