Authentication failed with iCloud

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ws3333

Authentication failed with iCloud

Post by ws3333 »

PP 4.4.0.0
my iCloud account initially worked when I set it up with the app specific password, but almost immediately started giving the message below.
I'm not real sure how this is supposed to work, so I may be doing something wrong.

Thanks,

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 18:34:41 - 18:34:41 (0 s) (-0700)
Data: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:34:40 -0700

--- Error ---
Icloud [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.me.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.me.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 76]
- Server unexpectedly disconnected ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed)
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject
spc3rd

Re: OAuth not working with iCloud

Post by spc3rd »

Greetings again, ws3333,

While awaiting further review of your topic by members of The Esumsoft Team, please have a look at the information shown in the topic HERE.

Another member experienced a nearly-identical problem as yours back in May, and the information provided by Jeff in the topic may be of help in your situation.

Please post back and let us know if it helped resolve your issue.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
ws3333

Re: OAuth not working with iCloud

Post by ws3333 »

I don't think that can help.
I have the right email address and password, because it worked when I set it up.
There is no longer an option to turn off 2 factor, that's why I set this up. I'm using an app specific password, which it asks for when I do Edit/Account, and it takes the password and lets me look at the settings.

I did find some points here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304 in the SMTP section that I changed in my settings, but I'm still getting the same error message.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Authentication failed with iCloud

Post by Jeff »

You need to try changing your "login name" -- if it's currently "test@me.com" then change it to "test" and vice versa. icloud has abnormal rules about that, which is why even their own help page suggests to try both.

Next, try generating a new app password and see if that other password works.

hmmm... I just re-read your last post:
"I'm using an app specific password, which it asks for when I do Edit/Account, and it takes the password and lets me look at the settings."

You're referring to POP Peeper here, right? If you edit your account in POP Peeper, and it asks for a password, that means that the account is password protected and it is not related to your email account's password. That is, the password protecting your account may be completely different than the password used to log into your account. The password that is actually in the "Password" field while editing your account is the password that must be the "app-specific password" that you generated online.

I edited the subject because an app-specific password is not the same as oauth2 and I didn't want to cause any confusion to others you may be reading this.
ws3333

Post by ws3333 »

It is not password protected, but apparently it was asking me to "confirm password" each time because the "Password" field had my iCloud password. When I put in the app specific one, the error went away. Now we'll see if lasts more than 12 hours, which is about how long it worked originally.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

When you're using app-specific passwords, you are generally not allowed to use your main password to log into sub-systems like email. The idea is that if someone hijacks that password, then at least all they can do is access your email and not log into your account and change your password, etc. It also makes it easier to disable that one password which only one app is using.

So it should work for the long-term, now that you're using the appropriate password.