Crash after laptop wakes from hibernation

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Apesbrain

Crash after laptop wakes from hibernation

Post by Apesbrain »

I have POP Peeper running on several Windows PCs without issue, but on one of them it always crashes the first time I do a manual mail check after the laptop comes out of hibernation. If I restart POP Peeper it then runs fine until the next time the PC comes out of hibernation. I've tried different settings on the "Connection" page, and waited plenty of time to be sure the internet connection was reestablished before running a mail check. Curiously, this is my only PC running Win 10; others are Win 7. The Win 7 PCs crash under the same conditions every once in a while, but the Win 10 PC does this every time. Suggestions welcome, thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Crash after laptop wakes from hibernation

Post by Jeff »

What version of POP Peeper are you running (under Help / About)?

If you don't do a manual check mail, does POP Peeper perform its automatic check mail without issue?

How are you performing the manual checkmail? e.g. via right-click on the tray icon, or opening PP and pressing the "check mail" button, etc.?

If you have PP open when you do the checkmail and it crashes, what does the status bar say?
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

I am running 4.4.0.0 with all current updates including SSL. I typically initiate a manual mail check by opening POP Peeper from the systray and clicking on the "Check Mail" button in lower left. Have set it for automatic mail check and will report back. The status bar just freezes in the process of checking one of the first accounts on my list. Thanks for your reply.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have recently noticed that Win10 does things differently than previous OS's -- it seems that it doesn't send system-wide notifications to applications whose windows aren't visible (ie. when PP is minimized to the tray). I've specifically noticed this for the shutdown notification, but there are suspend/resume notifications that could be a factor in your case.
Edit: I've investigated this and what I wrote earlier does not appear to be the case; Windows10 *does* send notifications to hidden windows.

Besides the current one you're testing, I have a couple other things for you to try:

1) You mentioned that you've "waited plenty of time to be sure..." but how much time is that? There is another factor I'm thinking of, so maybe try waiting at least 2 minutes.

2) Does your computer go into suspend at a particular time every day (more or less) as opposed to random times throughout the day? There's an option that allows PP to disable Auto-check at a certain time and it might be helpful to know if disabling AutoCheck before Sleep occurs would help. The option is under main menu: Tools / Options / Mail Check; "Disable auto-check between" (bottom-right). So, for example, if you let your computer go to sleep between 10-11pm and then turn it back on between 5-6am, you could set the hours for 9:45p - 4:00a (don't worry: PP won't turn your computer on)

These aren't meant as permanent solutions, but knowing the results can help diagnose the problem.
Apesbrain

Resolved

Post by Apesbrain »

It's now been a few days since I dialed "Maximum simultaneous threads" down to 2 and things have been very stable. Not sure why I had it set higher, but it's been that way for years; Win XP and Win 7 did not seem to care. Thanks again for your help.
mjs

Re: Resolved

Post by mjs »

Apesbrain wrote:It's now been a few days since I dialed "Maximum simultaneous threads" down to 2 and things have been very stable. Not sure why I had it set higher, but it's been that way for years; Win XP and Win 7 did not seem to care. Thanks again for your help.
What was the "Maximum simultaneous threads" value previously set at?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

It was at 4.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Apesbrain wrote:It was at 4.
I should have asked this before, so how many email accounts do you have in POP Peeper?

Oh and thanks for the feedback. Image I wouldn't think a difference of going from 4 to 2 for this setting would be a factor in regards to your issue. I have my "Maximum Simultaneous Threads" value set at 10 for 40 accounts to help improve Mail Check elapsed time (but then I'm running Windows 7).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

I have 12 email accounts being checked. Like I said, never a problem until Win 10.