showing 0 messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
MrPhil

showing 0 messages

Post by MrPhil »

I have v 4.4.2

Poppeeer is showing 0 messages when I check mail. I haven't changed any settings. I can view these messages through my webmail account.

No error messages are being generated.

Regards,

Phil
mjs

Re: showing 0 messages

Post by mjs »

The counter showing zero for the specific account(s) with this issue I presume is the "Unread" counter, correct?

How many accounts have this issue?

First try exiting and restarting PP.

If this does not help then try rebooting your computer.

Because you are not getting errors I'm guessing you are using "IMAP" (if you are using an account that provides OAth2, you could try reauthorizing OAth2 in this case by clicking on the button and following the ensuing steps), but since we cannot be certain what protocol you are using without verifying that with you please post answers to the following additional questions:

1) What type of account is having this problem (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc)?

2) What "Server type" are you using? (i.e. "Webmail", IMAP, POP3) To check for this; edit your account (right-click on account) click on "Edit", then make sure your on the "General" tab and post the "Server type" setting you see on this page.

3) If you do happen to be using Webmail ("Yahoo", "Gmail", "Hotmail/Outlook" etc.) then please post the "Webmail" plugin version you are using ("Help" > "About POP Peeper....")?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
MrPhil

Post by MrPhil »

"The counter showing zero for the specific account(s) with this issue I presume is the "Unread" counter, correct?"

That is correct. No new messages are not being downloaded either.

"First try exiting and restarting PP. If this does not help then try rebooting your computer."

I have tried those steps. Issue still isn't resolved.

"1) What type of account is having this problem (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc)?"

Yahoo

"2) What "Server type" are you using? (i.e. "Webmail", IMAP, POP3) To check for this; edit your account (right-click on account) click on "Edit", then make sure your on the "General" tab and post the "Server type" setting you see on this page."

Server type is Yahoo;

:3) If you do happen to be using Webmail ("Yahoo", "Gmail", "Hotmail/Outlook" etc.) then please post the "Webmail" plugin version you are using ("Help" > "About POP Peeper....")?:

v4.4.5
MrPhil

Post by MrPhil »

When I wrote "Poppeeer is showing 0 messages when I check mail. I haven't changed any settings. I can view these messages through my webmail account." I meant that I can see my messages if I access my webmail email account through my browser
mjs

Post by mjs »

Understood.... You are using the most current Webmail plugin that was updated to address these occasional issues regarding Yahoo specifically: v4.4.5 (May 25, 2017) - Yahoo: Fix for new interface (-1004) and occasional 0 messages.

What is peculiar is that since you ARE using Webmail ("Yahoo" Server type) then PP should presumably report an error in that case (it is my understanding that there have been cases where something prevents PP from logging in and doesn't report an error using OAuth, but testing so far has not been able to duplicate this scenario).

Because you are using Yahoo's Webmail protocol Jeff will probably want to look into this further in regards to specifically the Webmail plugin.

If you have multiple Yahoo accounts with this issue you could switch to using "IMAP" and also use OAuth2 (which is the recommended protocol) for your more critical account(s) and possibly leave one of the accounts using Webmail for Jeff to check on later...
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

FYI, I have tested a Yahoo account using the Webmail ("Yahoo") protocol with the current release of the Webmail plugin and I do not get the same results as you get (so it's not a universal issue apparently). Message is received by POP Peeper and counter is incremented as expected in my case.

What provider do you use (i.e. ATT&T, Comcast, Cox etc.)?
MrPhil

Post by MrPhil »

Frontier
MrPhil

Post by MrPhil »

I changed the server type to imap--the issue is now resolved (although I don't know why it was an issue to begin with)
mjs

Post by mjs »

This issue with Yahoo is an odd one which was presumably fixed with the latest Webmail plugin (as you can see via the Webmail History link I previously posted). The IMAP protocol is as I have stated what is recommended along with using OAuth2 to avoid the "less secure" warning prompts from Yahoo. Later on Jeff may want to contact you regarding the Yahoo Webmail protocol but for now it's good to know your Yahoo account(s) are working okay again. =D>
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The issue with Yahoo reporting 0 messages using webmail protocol is being investigated.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The fix has been published:
WebMail v4.4.6

However, I ran into a problem. One of my 3 test accounts still does not work because it's triggering "unusual activity" by Yahoo. Even if I go through the process of allowing my webbrowser to access the account (sending SMS for confirmation), as soon as I try to check the account in PP, it happens again. Incidentally, this particular account is the only one of the 3 that I've switched to the latest Yahoo interface; I don't know if that's related or not.

Right now, the recommended solution to this problem is to edit your account and change the "server type" to IMAP (and press the OAuth2 button and follow its instructions, as this is usually required by Yahoo).

If anybody reading this has a similar problem (POP Peeper will simply report Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.) and would like to help track down the problem, please reply here or email (support at esumsoft dot com).