Gmail: Frequent SSL Errors

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Moshe

Gmail: Frequent SSL Errors

Post by Moshe »

Hello,

In the last few days I've been getting SSL errors quite frequently.
Any idea?

Thank you.

Latest version (all PP components).
IMAP.
AntiJunk and WOT disabled.
mjs

Re: Gmail: Frequent SSL Errors

Post by mjs »

Please post the Error Overview information for us, this provides additional information to help analyze the problem including the type of "SSL" error you are getting. That is click on the yellow exclamation in the lower-right corner of the main POP Peeper interface and press the "Copy" button and then paste that information to this forum (right-click and select "Paste" from context menu). NOTE: Please make sure your actual email account name does not display by changing it to "XXXX" for example.

Just as a reminder, this is always recommended any time a POP Peeper error is encountered and can be found on the following announcements page: Information for new users & forum members the details of which by scrolling down toward the bottom of the page you will find the following:
If you are still unable to find a solution, then create a new topic (in the appropriate sub-forum). Please provide as much detailed information possible about the issue you are having - including the text of any error messages POP Peeper is showing by following the instructions provided in the Sticky topic below:
PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post.
Are you using OAuth2? If not press the OAuth2 button and following the ensuing steps, if you are you could try a reset of the credentials and re-authorize POP Peeper by clicking on the OAuth2 button and following the steps in this case as well. That said, we can be more certain what might help by providing us with the specific Error Overview information that applies to this issue. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hello lakrsrool,

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

I use OAuth2 and I've just re-authorized PP as you suggested.
I'll provide additional information if and when I encounter the problem again.

Best regards.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

I've just got the error again.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.2.0
Webmail: 4.4.6.0 (disabled)
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.2.0
SendMail: 4.4.2.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- .SSL ëéùìåï áçéáåø (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (20))
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you for providing the Error Overview Information. Image

Well considering that you are using the current PP release and do have the current SSL plugin version with SSL/TLS (which is working for me) and this error typically means that the certificates are out of date in the Windows certificate store (of which to my knowledge certificates that the Windows certificate store may not have was addressed in PPv4.4.1) it would appear Jeff will need to look into this issue in more detail.

In the meantime can you provide us with what ISP you are using?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Thanks again lakrsrool.

The ISP is not in the USA.
Let's wait for Jeff.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I haven't seen any issues myself, nor heard from anyone else about a similar issue. It sounds like you're saying that the issue is intermittent, is that correct? Which would be unusual for this type of error.

If that is the case, is there a pattern as to when it works and not? For example, do you sometimes use a VPN?

Right-click on the account and select "server info", then find the section entitled "SSL Certificate Information" (it should be at the bottom) and copy&paste the information. And, in case they're different, do that after a failure and a success and let us know which is which.

It will look something like this:

Code: Select all

SSL Certificate Information:
Subject: /C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google Inc/CN=imap.gmail.com
Issuer: /C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority G2
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

The issue is indeed intermittent but I can't think of a pattern whatsoever.
I don't know if this is relevant: trying to download a file from my account (in the browser) a couple of days ago, the following message popped up: "Gmail's Virus Scanner is Temporarily Unavailable".
I do not use a VPN.

Here is the server info:

Success.

Issuer: /C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority G2
Failure.

Issuer: /C=US/O=Google Trust Services/CN=Google Internet Authority G3

Error: unable to get local issuer certificate (20)
Thank you. I appreciate your help.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This is interesting:
CN=Google Internet Authority G2
CN=Google Internet Authority G3

When I checked my (working) accounts today and yesterday, they were using the G2. The search results of G3 are virtually non-existant. When I searched earlier today, I found someone who mentioned the same problem you had, except they were using POP3 and Outlook (ah, here it is [Italian]); the one reply he received was not helpful.

My guess is that it *probably* is legitimate. Maybe Google is doing some testing with some servers on that side of the world with a new certificate. What I'd suggest is that you see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6846
and download&install the cacert.pem file.

Let me know if installing that works or not. I may have a follow-up question for you in either case. Actually, I'll just go ahead and PM that question to you now while I'm thinking about it.

"Gmail's Virus Scanner is Temporarily Unavailable".
That's probably unrelated. It seems like a fairly common issue going back several years. And GMail specifically mentions it here:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/25760?hl=en
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Thank you for the research. I appreciate it.

I've replaced the existing cacert.pem file with the updated one.
I'll certainly let you know if it solves the problem (tomorrow I won't be my PC most of the day).

Best regards.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

So far so good.
Discussed also in private.

Thank you Jeff.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

A short update:
I haven't received that error since replacing cacert.pem.
I tried removing that file and within an hour the error occurred.

And Happy Birthday PP!

Thank you Jeff.