reinstalling problem

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
nuska

reinstalling problem

Post by nuska »

I had a problem with Pop Peeper and uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now it is not downloading messages from any of the accounts. Help appreciated!!
mjs

Re: reinstalling problem

Post by mjs »

First it is best to install over the current installation as opposed to uninstalling POP Peeper (otherwise you run the risk of loosing all accounts previously setup).

Did you install POP Peeper from THIS page?

Make sure you install using the link above and install to the same exact location you had installed previously.

If you continue to have issues after installing as referenced above then what exactly is occurring?

Are you getting any POP Peeper errors? --- If so please post in this topic the Error Information. Refer to the following link on how to post this information to this topic: PP Error Messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post. IMPORTANT: Please note toward the bottom of the instructions provided in the above link that you be sure to please edit/obscure any personally-identifiable information that might otherwise be displayed, before submitting the information.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
nuska

Post by nuska »

Yes I did use this installation. The problem is that none of the accounts have any mails, and nothing is downloading when I use 'check mail'
I have sent mail via another account, and this is not showing at all.
mjs

Post by mjs »

nuska wrote:Yes I did use this installation. The problem is that none of the accounts have any mails, and nothing is downloading when I use 'check mail'
I have sent mail via another account, and this is not showing at all.
So I presume you installed in the same location as before (as you did not address that question). And I'm still not sure if you are getting errors or not (question also not addresses). If you are getting any errors or an other prompts from POP Peeper of any kind then please refer to my previous post regarding this.

Also who is your provider (ISP)?

Also take a look here in main the PP interface (under "Messages"):
disable top option
disable top option
enable all messages.png (6.93 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
The top option should be checked, try temporarily disabling "display filters" (uncheck) to see if this helps, you will get the following explanation regarding what this does (click on image to improve readability):
What this does - should only be temporary setting
What this does - should only be temporary setting
Let us know if doing this makes a difference, after testing "Enable display filters..." again by placing the check back for this option. Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ followup to post above.

If disabling "display filters" does end up solving your problem then it is most likely because the messages are marked as "hidden" (Note: hidden messages will appear in italics when displayed by doing the above).

Another possibility would be if the problematic accounts are retrieving via the "Number of Messages" option as opposed to any of the other settings (i.e. "Headers", "Preview", "Entire Message"). If you are retrieving via "Number of Messages" please change to one of the other settings. You will find these settings in the main menu under: "Tools" > "Options" > "Message Retrieval" tab. These global POP Peeper settings can also be overridden per-account, to determine this you will need to edit each individual account by doing a right-click on account and then selecting "Edit account..." from the context menu and then go to the "Advanced" page.

On other possibility, try editing an account and go to the "Advanced" page to see if "Hide messages from *All accounts*" might be set to something other than the default "None", if so change this setting to "None" to see if this helps.
carp48

Post by carp48 »

I have this exact same problem. I have already done all that you suggested
but when I go to press a message to open I get nothing but a blank page.
I have uninstalled and installed more then once. I have used your product for many years and have never had an issue before.
Is there any thing else you can suggest. Thank you, Mike
mjs

Post by mjs »

carp48 wrote:I have this exact same problem. I have already done all that you suggested
but when I go to press a message to open I get nothing but a blank page.
I have uninstalled and installed more then once. I have used your product for many years and have never had an issue before.
Is there any thing else you can suggest. Thank you, Mike
We really need more information i.e. what type of accounts (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc) and what protocol you are using (Webmail, IMAP, POP3). Also are you getting an error at the bottom-left corner of the blank read window and if so what is the error.

That said you could try the following which might fix your problem:

For whatever accounts that are getting the "blank page" when reading mail, select any number of these messages in the POP Peeper main interface inbox (one-left-click on message) and then right-click on any one of the selected messages and select "Remove from list" from the right-click context menu (which will remove the selected message(s) from PP inbox). Then do a "Mail Check" for that account (which will repopulate your inbox with the removed message(s)) and see if you are then able to read the message(s) for that account that you were previously unable to read. If this works for the message(s) selected you can go ahead and select all messages in the POP Peeper inbox that are impacted for whatever account(s) impacted. Multiple messages can be selected by clicking (one-left-click) on a PP inbox message then holding the "shift" key and then clicking (one-left-click) on another PP inbox message at which time all messages in-between the two clicked on messages (while holding down "shift" key) will be selected (then all messages selected can then be removed from the PP inbox by right-clicking on the selected group of messages and selecting "Remove from list" from the right-click context menu, see screen-shot below).
right-click anywhere on the selected messages and select "Remove from list" from the context menu.
right-click anywhere on the selected messages and select "Remove from list" from the context menu.
If this issue involves just one account you can select the one account by clicking where you see the pointer in the screen-shot below and selecting that account which will populate the PP inbox with all messages for that specific account. Again as described above, you can select all messages in the PP inbox (for the account selected in the drop-down list) by clicking on the top message in the PP inbox and then scrolling down to the bottom message in the PP inbox and while holding down the "shift" key clicking on the last message at which time all your messages will then be selected. You can then do what I have described above to "Remove from list" all of the messages in the PP inbox for that specific account. Then an ensuing "Mail Check" will repopulate the PP inbox with the removed messages at which time you can check to see if you are then able to read the messages successfully.
If one specific account is involved then click on drop-down arrow and select account to display all messages for that account which at that point all messages can be selected and removed from the PP inbox as described.
If one specific account is involved then click on drop-down arrow and select account to display all messages for that account which at that point all messages can be selected and removed from the PP inbox as described.
Select account.png (4.81 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
Please report back whether this solves your problem.
carp48

Post by carp48 »

My mail accounts are outlook.com, mtco.com, hotmail.com and comcast.net.
Outlook is imap in and smtp out, mtco is pop in and smtp out, hotmail and comcast are imap in
and smtp out.
I tried your new suggestion and there was no change. There aren't any error messages shown, but sometimes instead of the
message it will bring up Bing web search subject being HTML.
I don't know whats going on. I can get my email as it shows up in the Windows mail app.Mike
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'm surprised what we just tried did not help you out. :?

Have you done the re-install of POP Peeper from this site: http://www.esumsoft.com/download/ and installed over the previous version at the same location as before?

Just to clarify, what POP Peeper version are you using ("Help" > "About POP Peeper...")?

Are the blank messages occurring for all your accounts?

In regards to what we just tried, let's try this again (which is a bit redundant, but I'm curious what the results will be):
Let's try a "re-download" of a specific message that has already been retrieved (and came up empty):
When viewing the (blank) message, select "File" and then "Re-download message", does doing this make any difference (or is the message still blank) :?:
carp48

Post by carp48 »

I am using v 4.2 downloaded from your link. I installed over the existing installation
in the same place as the existing was. All accounts come up blank or the Bing page.
See image I have attached. If I am looking at a message, go to file and hit re-download message this is what it says, Can't reach this page,
Make sure the web address http://o-ov.html is correct, Search for this site on Bing, Refresh the page. It is so strange as I have used your program for so long, Mike.
P.S. Would it make a difference if I buy it?
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi carp48,

While awaiting lakrsrool's return to continue working with you, I'll pass-along an important cautionary note for future reference: Please be sure any screenshots included in your posts do not contain any personally-identifiable information, such as, your actual email address (which was shown in the headers of the image you had included in your post above).
This is for your security and privacy.

Additional information regarding posting screenshots in the Forums can be found at the link below:

How to take a screenshot and attach/insert it into your post

Thank you and best regards. :)
Global Moderator
carp48

Post by carp48 »

Thank you. I forgot about it before I attached it, Mike
mjs

Post by mjs »

carp48 wrote:I am using v 4.2 downloaded from your link. I installed over the existing installation
in the same place as the existing was. All accounts come up blank or the Bing page.
See image I have attached. If I am looking at a message, go to file and hit re-download message this is what it says, Can't reach this page,
Make sure the web address http://o-ov.html is correct, Search for this site on Bing, Refresh the page. It is so strange as I have used your program for so long, Mike.
P.S. Would it make a difference if I buy it?
What is the "Data path" set at that you have in "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage"? And what is the "Storage" value set at (just below "Data path")?

To answer your question, no it would not make any difference to "buy it" regarding this issue.
carp48

Post by carp48 »

C:\Users\Mike\App Data\Roaming\Pop Peeper is the data path.
Storage is set to Entire Message.
In regards to purchasing your program I had decided I wanted to prior to
any of this, and still will when I get it working again, Mike
mjs

Post by mjs »

carp48 wrote:C:\Users\Mike\App Data\Roaming\Pop Peeper is the data path.
Storage is set to Entire Message.
In regards to purchasing your program I had decided I wanted to prior to
any of this, and still will when I get it working again, Mike
You've really got me stumped on this one. To clarify, your problem is a little different from others in this topic in that you ARE getting your messages retrieved by POP Peeper so the messages do show up in the POP Peeper inbox, but your issue is that when you attempt to read the messages they display just a "blank" area where the message would normally display, is that correct?
carp48

Post by carp48 »

Yes or that Bing search page or that can't reach this page.
Should I try to completely uninstall everything and start fresh? Mike
mjs

Post by mjs »

carp48 wrote:Yes or that Bing search page or that can't reach this page.
Should I try to completely uninstall everything and start fresh? Mike
Let's try this and see what you get: From the menu when viewing a message -- go to "View" > "Message source".

What happens, do you get a blank as well or a message that "File does not exist"?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Followup, if you are able to view the message source then take a look at this POST by Jeff and follow those steps.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

carp48 -- I wasn't able to see your screenshot before it was removed; would you be able to re-post an edited version, or PM a copy of the original screenshot to me?
carp48

Post by carp48 »

What happens when I go to view and press message source the Pop Peeper page stays blank, but the source information opens in Word.